A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,878
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my boyfriend is turning 30!! eek!  (Read 2668 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SheRa
Curiosity often leads to trouble.

Curiouser and curiouser!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2005 01:14:13 PM »

so my boyfriend's birthday is Aug. 24th, and he's turning the big 3-0!  i want something cool to do for him but i tapped out my greatest idea 2 years ago when he moved to WI from NY with me for me to finish college (i'm much younger than him - i'll be turning 23 in July).  2 years ago i threw a HUGE party and made this awesome pinata of his head with a mullet (he had one WAY back in high school) and even gave it his nose.  i posted old, embarassing pix of him all over and everything.  so that idea was so great that i just don't know what to do this year.  i'd like to GO somewhere (we're 30 miles from NYC) to have a party - preferably with some entertainment that i don't have to arrange.  something like medieval times but not that (we've done that before).

i still have a lot of time to think about this, but does anyone have any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ming
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005 01:28:11 PM »

You and your boyfriend's ages sound like my husband and I.... I'll be 23 in October, and he'll be 29 on July 30th! Aren't older men great? Grin

Anyway, does he have friends/family that live close by? Maybe you can do a "this is your life" kind of thing and have people fly out and recount memories involving themselves and him, before he actually sees who it is. (Use the fact that he's turning 30 to get people to fly out if you have to... and if they absolutely can't, maybe they can record something.)

Since you're so close to NYC, check out if there are concerts going on where you two can go to with friends.

What's your budget, and will there be a lot of friends and family invited? I'll try to find out more details on your situation when I know some more details. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005 01:55:53 PM »

In NYC there are several karaoke places where you can get a private room for anywhere from 2 to 15 people and just sing each other songs all night. Highly entertaining!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
slackferno
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005 05:21:26 PM »

When my fiance turned 30 (dragging his heels kicking and screaming), I threw him an Operation Enduring Childhood party.  We ate 80's type kid food, served a cake with an army man battle staged in the icing, and had a water pistol fight with the water pistols in the favor bags.

It was a great opportunity for folks to forget the mortgage for an afternoon and be kids again.

Maybe you could go on an arcade crawl?  Put your man in a pacman or mario bros T-shirt and give everyone a sack of quarters. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SheRa

Curiouser and curiouser!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005 06:16:11 PM »

You and your boyfriend's ages sound like my husband and I.... I'll be 23 in October, and he'll be 29 on July 30th! Aren't older men great? Grin

Anyway, does he have friends/family that live close by? Maybe you can do a "this is your life" kind of thing and have people fly out and recount memories involving themselves and him, before he actually sees who it is. (Use the fact that he's turning 30 to get people to fly out if you have to... and if they absolutely can't, maybe they can record something.)

Since you're so close to NYC, check out if there are concerts going on where you two can go to with friends.

What's your budget, and will there be a lot of friends and family invited? I'll try to find out more details on your situation when I know some more details. Good luck!

my birthday is july 30th too!  great day for leos Wink

his family and friends are all out here.  i think this time around i want to make it just for friends.  i don't have a HUGE budget, but i definitely want to have a good time, and it's worth the $$ if it's a good time.  at the last party i had for him, i had a "roast" like they do on comedy central where his friends all ripped on him and even one that was from out of town sent in a video tape for him.  it was great.  i definitely have to track down a picture of the pinata i made of him.  that one was kind of 80's themed (it was just too easy to make fun of the mullet) - we had 80's music and everything.  i like your "this is your life" thing though.  i'll see if i can work that into some sort of excursion Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SheRa

Curiouser and curiouser!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005 06:16:54 PM »

In NYC there are several karaoke places where you can get a private room for anywhere from 2 to 15 people and just sing each other songs all night. Highly entertaining!

we've been to friends' b-day parties to do that before, and it IS a blast - if all else fails, i'll definitely have to hook that up again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SheRa

Curiouser and curiouser!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005 06:18:20 PM »

When my fiance turned 30 (dragging his heels kicking and screaming), I threw him an Operation Enduring Childhood party. We ate 80's type kid food, served a cake with an army man battle staged in the icing, and had a water pistol fight with the water pistols in the favor bags.

It was a great opportunity for folks to forget the mortgage for an afternoon and be kids again.

Maybe you could go on an arcade crawl? Put your man in a pacman or mario bros T-shirt and give everyone a sack of quarters.

that's awesome!!  the arcade thing WOULD be cool (esp. since we're both video game nerds), but the arcades out here are RIDICULOUS with how much everything costs.  he's boycotted a few, but we do have tons of games at home.  hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scarletgenesis
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005 06:06:09 PM »

Ever seen the movie Logan's Run? In a "future" utopian society, when people turn 30, they have to go through the ritual of CAROUSEL in which they hope to be "renewed". If they run, they are pursued by Sandmen. It turns out that they are actually killed in this ritual, and certain people try to escape this.

You could have a prty based on that theme (with red keds - see the movie it will make sense). People could dress as various character types from the movie.
My husband has threatened me with this party on my 30th.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SheRa

Curiouser and curiouser!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005 06:31:53 PM »

hahahha!!  that's great!  i'll have to check out that movie, although since he hasn't seen it, he'd be all confused.  OOH - maybe i'll have a big lebowski party at a bowling alley and have white russians!  that'd be fun.  ok, so it's not quite what you suggested, but your movie idea brought my train of thought to that.  thanks! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kdavis

..."but I'm not dead, I feel happy!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005 06:46:27 PM »

You should do a "young at heart" party! I don't know if it exists, I just thought of it, well, I guess it exists now huh? So here's my not so brillant idea. Have everyone come as 6 years old, dress like they did when they were six, bring photos of when they were six, bring their favorite candy as a child, favorite book maybe would be cool. Later in the night post the pics and have a contest of who can guess who belongs to thier childhood pic. Hmm, written out doesnt sound as fun as when I thought of it, but you get the ideas. Oh, another idea, have a secret word that everyone knows but him, and whenever he says it spray him with silly string or cool whip or something. Okay, I have lost my mind, but I think it sounds like fun. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*rejoice, rejoice, you have no choice*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Thanksgiving Burritos
How to Make Thanksgiving Frittata
How to Make Holiday Side Dishes
How to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Part 1
How to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...