A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 164
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2012 DeStash-Along (*Closed*)  (Read 197842 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1580 on: December 03, 2012 09:45:46 AM »

My yarn supply is dwindling, it's a good thing I like scrappy projects  Cheesy
I'm really looking forward to the Junker Jane swap, I have a lot of small fabric samples and a lovely stained/tea dyed piece of tablecloth to use  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1581 on: December 04, 2012 06:31:58 AM »

I have taken to selling my yarn and fabrics.

So often I would be pulled in by a good sale with no idea what to do with the crafting supply once I managed to get it home.

And now, very little of it speaks to me. So off it goes to someone else. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1582 on: December 04, 2012 06:39:35 AM »

Hopefully, just the stuff you know you won't be using!!!  I think I would have an anxiety attack if anyone even touched a ball of yarn...

I have a huge basket of leftovers that I plan on doing one of my mixed yarn scarves or hats...I found out my one niece loves those types of scarves the best! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1583 on: December 04, 2012 08:39:13 AM »

Hopefully, just the stuff you know you won't be using!!!  I think I would have an anxiety attack if anyone even touched a ball of yarn...

Yeah, I agree. But when a ball of yarn endears frustration instead of love?

Besides, I spend the same now being much more choosy with what I buy. I am a happier girl. Smiley

I wish I could show you guys some of the things I've made. But living in a crafty house with one working camera makes that difficult. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #1584 on: December 04, 2012 09:46:09 AM »

I agree rottenlittleboys...I have been much happier being choosy and buying less...I found a little trick that works for me for online purchases....many of the sites have WISHLISTS...when I feel the urge to shop, I put everything on my wishlist instead of in my cart...I then leave it alone for a couple of days...then I go through and see if there is anything that truly speaks to me...9 out of 10 times, I delete it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #1585 on: December 04, 2012 04:55:19 PM »

I gave away a lot of craft supplies I knew I'd  never use in a Givers and Needers swap about a year ago. I know if I was more organized, I'd buy less. I could find what I have instead of buying it all over again, and I could easily see what I have and be reminded to use it! It's been a slow process. I did get the paper sorted into two file boxes and one zippered plastic bag, I need a couple more boxes to finish it properly.
I took apart a lot of old junk jewelry and raided my stash of odd beads and made book thong style bookmarks-I even used cord/floss/yarn scraps from stash. Made about 55 of them! They didn't sell well at the craft show but oh well! It wasn't the best venue, and I sold other things. And they cost nothing but time to make.
I have added to my stash, but I've been choosey about it. Family members are giving me junk jewelry now, yay! I can never have too much of that.  And my nephew and my little sis are giving me old computer bits. I made several brooches from small pieces of circuit board, and have larger ones saved for different projects, and I even made a lamp from old keyboards! Those things will be stock for a sale next year.
I haven't been following the monthly challenges, or posting pictures, or much of anything but reading along when I can-life has been very hectic. But you all are inspiring, and I'm looking forward to next year's DeStash-along and next year's 50 projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
gaudiknight
« Reply #1586 on: December 06, 2012 07:51:32 AM »

Oh wow, great discussion.  It hit on a lot of what I've been pondering as I stare at my stash - whether to give away or try to sell parts of it, what to do with those 7 balls of mohair yarn, how do I organize all this stuff, and how did I acquire all of this in the first place.  I've also started brainstorming ideas for themes & challenges in spare moments at work.  Would folks be open to the first couple months concentrating on getting a handle on stashes themselves?  Sort of like finding it all, weeding, organizing, etc.?  I  know I would find it useful, but I don't want to impose my current decluttering bug on anyone else, or make people feel guilty about their stash (so not what this craftalong is about) but doing things like that in groups can really help motivation and momentum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1587 on: December 06, 2012 08:03:33 AM »

Organising the stash is a challenge in itself  Smiley  I've got plans to use up some fabric to make bags to hang my yarn in but it won't be until next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #1588 on: December 06, 2012 08:45:36 AM »

I am also considering better ways to organize my stash...I have so many bags that I have to dig through and I "remember" having certain yarn and just can't find it...Sad

I also need a better way to store my interchangeable needles, circulars, and double-pointed needles...by the time I get everything together, it is time for bed! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #1589 on: December 06, 2012 08:54:55 AM »

how about having one of the challenges be-craft something to help organize your stash? Boxes, folders, jars, bags, ect?
Or decorate/label the ready made organizer you buy? And suggestions for unconventional storage solutions. The little clear plastic divided boxes from the craft store? I was at the hardware store earlier this month and saw plain, nicer ones, and I think for less!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 164 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Give Your Sweater a Festive Embellished Collar
The Must-Have Moto Jackets You Need Now
Marsha Ambrosius Talks Leather & Layering With VIBE VIXEN
Web Deals This Cyber Monday
High Fashion: Most Fun And Functional Boots
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...