A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,064
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 164
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2012 DeStash-Along (*Closed*)  (Read 183402 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gaudiknight
« on: December 30, 2011 01:08:44 PM »

Stashes!  We all have them.  For some they are a source of pride.  Others might find them a bit overwhelming.  They can baffle the non-crafters in your life.  But the myriad of supplies you have gathered over the years through careful planning, impulse buys, and odd acquisitions that you can't quite explain should be inspiring.  

If you want to be a frugal crafter in 2012, are getting a bit overwhelmed by all your treasures, or simply need some extra motivation to finally use the five million beads stored away in the hall closet, this is the craftalong for you.  Whatever your stash, be it yarn, fabric, thread, cupcake liners, or rebar, this is the place to proudly show off the projects you have made from materials you have on hand.  Not sure what to do with a supply your great-aunt's next door neighbor gave you?  Find inspiration here!

There will be themes, challenges, and the occasional discussion topic posted monthly.  Don't feel yourself bound by them, they're simply there to kick start your imagination if necessary.  All we ask is that you post a project or two a month (more or less is fine, there's no pressure) and join us for a year long crafting spree through our stashes.  Hope you can join us!

This is the fourth year we've had a DeStash Along on Craftster.  The old threads can be found here:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013 12:19:49 PM by gaudiknight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011 01:09:47 PM »

Themes

January
Color: White
Pattern: Stripes
For: After all the holiday mayhem, you deserve something for yourself.
Challenge: It's time to take stock of your stash. Spend some time looking at what you have, and maybe make some goals for the coming year.
Swaps of Interest: Stash-Busting Resolution Dotees, One Small Stuffie with a Function

February
Color: Red
Pattern: polka-dots
For: A loved one, BFF, or your significant other.
Challenge: Concentrate on the material that makes up the largest portion your stash (by numbers or volume, it's up to you). Perhaps you can make a dent in it this month.

March
Color: Green
Pattern: Argyle
For: Charity. If you need ideas, try the “Crafting For Good And Not Evil” board here on Craftster.  Or post links to your favorite craftable cause in the thread.
Challenge: Unfinished objects. Everybody has them, so don't feel bad. It could be a project you stalled on half-way through eight years ago, or something you finished last month that just needs threads clipped. Either way, it's a great feeling to finally finish them up.
Swaps of Interest: Makeup/Cosmetic Bag Swap (sign-ups 3/8 - 3/31)

April
Color: Yellow
Pattern: Floral
For: The garden or great outdoors.
Challenge: Spring Cleaning time. We've all got things in our stash that we've been meaning to use eventually, if only we could figure out what to do with that sweater's worth of hot pink and purple yarn we've been saving since 1987 and have long since lost the pattern. Nothing says you have to keep it forever. You can take those oddities to the Goodwill, give them to a friend, or a local crafting group.

May
Color: Purple
Pattern: Numbers and letters.
For: Teachers, educators, etc. Maybe they're your kids', maybe they're yours. But they deserve some love.
Challenge: Mass produce something. It doesn't matter what it is, just make a lot of it. If nothing else, they make good “gifts on hand.”

June
Color: Rainbow
Pattern: Animals. And it doesn't have to be animal print unless you want to interpret it that way, or if you have lots of zebra print spandex lurking in your stash.
For: Kiddos – yours or someone elses', or simply the young at heart.
Challenge: Six month mark. Time to organize your stash a bit and see how much you've been able to use in the last six months.

July
Color: Blue
Pattern: Stars and planets
For: Christmas in July! If you make a present now, and put it away safely, that's one less you'll have to worry about when the holiday crunch time comes. Just remember where you've stashed it away.
Challenge: Try to use the object or material in the stash that you've had the longest.

August
Color: Orange
Pattern: fruits & veggies
For: Traveling! Make something for your next trip.
Challenge: Host a crafternoon.  Try to use as much stuff from your stash as possible rather than buying new supplies for the occasion.

September
Color: Your favorite color.
Pattern: Plaid
For: Organizing.
Challenge: We've all bought new materials so we can start a new craft, but never got around to actually sitting down and learn. Perhaps this is the month to finally do so?

October
Color: Black
Pattern: Lace
For: Pets.
Challenge: We've all got that special material we've been holding onto forever. Maybe it's the last little bit of a fabric you love, and you've never been able to bring yourself to use it. Screw up your courage and just do it!

November
Color: Brown
Pattern: Trees, wood, or forest themed.
For: Someone who needs to be cheered up.
Challenge: Has there been a swap recently that intrigued you? Make something that fits the theme, even if you didn't get to participate.

December
Color: Metallic
Pattern: Folk-art.
For: The House. And it doesn't have to be holiday themed unless you want it to be.
Challenge: We're in the last month. It's a sprint to the finish. Look back at the goals you made in January and see how you did. Or just tally up all the projects you've made from stash and give yourself a big pat on the back.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012 04:55:06 PM by gaudiknight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011 01:26:32 PM »

First! Haha, I always wanted to say that.  Cheesy

I have plenty of stash that was bought with projects in mind which has sat there for months.  Or years.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011 01:55:46 PM »

My stash is Out Of Hand, so I will be joining you here!

And I have that sort of stash, too, RLB!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampedangel14

Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011 01:56:50 PM »

I have started my new 50 Projects list and this Destashalong goes along with it. Looking forward to seeing new projects by other members and getting new ideas to help stashbust!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011 02:18:55 PM »

I will join in on this! I really realy need to destash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
tryskal
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011 02:37:54 PM »

Really want to join in on this. I've read all the other threads & you guys are a bunch of great crafters! My only problem is that I haven't joined the 21st century. I don't have any way to upload photos or even take digital photos. If you don't mind just words in a post....I'll be happy to play along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Woman: hear me roar about crochet...cross-stitch...crafts...family!
jexxican

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011 03:06:08 PM »

Yes! Do finishing WIPs count towards destashing? It should.
Most of my crafting is done from my stash. I've been trying to clean out a bunch since we have yet another kid joining us in this 3 bedroom house. Hurray motivation! You will be motivating, won't you? Oh please say you will!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
nisforneville

N is for Neville who died of ennui

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011 03:12:05 PM »

I'm in! I'm not lucky enough to have a craft room, so my bedroom is packed with craft supplies. I have plenty of things I've bought with every intention of making something with it, but never got around to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will do personal swaps, just ask!

http://www.pinterest.com/nisforneville/wishlist/
cloudsnapper
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011 04:55:53 PM »

This is the craftalong for me! I have a whole craft room, and still find myself buying things for projects. It isn't to the point of out-of-control, but it's getting there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 164 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get A Segmented High Ponytail
How To Tease Your Hair Properly
9 Lies About Your Hair You Probably Believe
How to Get the Sock Bun Look
13 Celebrities Who Transformed Their Faces By Changing Their Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...