A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 164
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2012 DeStash-Along (*Closed*)  (Read 185769 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mellybelly81
my handmade dream

I'll have that... I might be able to use it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2012 11:57:00 PM »

wow heaps of cool stuff... I'm making a quilt atm, not exactly destashing as I bought the fabric specifically for it, but I fear I'm creating stash as I can't throw away any scrap more than 1/2" (ok I lie... 1/4"). Is this normal? What am I going to use a 1/4" scrap for? I guess I could delve into fabric inchies... But I've heard they're addictive... And I have an addictive personality...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects in 2013 - 6/50
13 quilts in 2013 - 0/13
Destash-along

http://pinterest.com/myhandmadedream/

Looking for teal/turquoise/aqua, grey and white (or a combo) fabric for a quilt.

My son loves Peppa Pig's brother George and Raa Raa the noisy lion.
LovelyMiss
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2012 01:08:30 AM »

do any of you use anything for you hands when they hurt from crafting... eesh im only 25 and already need a brace  Undecided

I have that problem too.  I crocheted for maybe a half hour last night and my hands were starting to hurt.  I think I may need to invest in some ergonomic hooks.
I've noticed that my thumb feels the same way after a long day of crafting as it does after i've been on my phone for a while... and i found exercises for "texting thumb" that have actually really helped me. Haha. It sounds silly, but my hand really feels better after i've done them.
http://solomonsseal.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/healing-texting-thumb-and-repetitive-stress-injuries-rsi-with-solomon%E2%80%99s-seal/

Might not be what you were looking for, but it might help nonetheless.

I tend to not stick to the themes, but i think i might actually give it a shot this year...
So, here's my for me. I call them my new year new slippers.
I used buttons i got in a swap last year. Smiley
I'm not totally satisfied with them. I'd like to make a pair in wool, or some other natural fiber, soon and compare them.

I have pretty bad pain in my hands and elbows from crafting, too.  It started when I was a teenager because I used to make a lot of seed bead jewelry.  I've been to physical therapy for tendinitis, and got wrist braces, but the only thing that actually works is regular rest.  I rarely do that, though.  Ice helps sometimes, or those over the counter analgesic creams (like Myoflex/Aspercreme) work pretty well...I tend to break them out while working on repetitive projects for more than a few hours at a time.  I can't take NSAIDs, but apparently Aleve works well for people I know.

Also, I LOVE your new years slippers bananaleg!  I'm totally pinning them.  Smiley

I'm working out the plans for my project for me (a themed x-stitch sampler).  We're starting to swap the bedroom and crafty office tomorrow, so I'll be doing lots of organizing.  I've also gone through some stash for a swap...but it's the 44 cent/stuff an envelope swap, so it's not even going to make a dent.  Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2012 02:25:47 AM »

dear mellybelly,
it depends if you are really going to enjoy using those scraps or are you just finding ways to use them, when you could be doing other more fun project?
I cut all my scraps into strips, a minimum of an inch and a half, and keep them in a basket behind my sewing machine.
When it gets too full, I have a blitz and make quilt squares, doll quits, mug rugs, placemats etc.
I think at some stage you have to let some things go.
And to be honest, I bagged up all my scraps from the cushions I made and am giving them to a friend who makes monster animals.
I have enough projects to make, that I am kinda getting over the feeling I have to use absolutely everything.
Kids can use fabric scraps to stick on paper and make lovely art works also, so maybe a kindy or preschool could use your scraps if you can't bin them.
Hope that helps
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2012 06:05:13 AM »

Hey, sign ups for this end on Monday. Great way to use up those tiny fabric scraps and random bits and bobs!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401017.0

There are yoga exercises for hand and wrist strengthening and those stress ball you squeeze to massage your hands work well too. If you're taking pain killers for this please consider something less radical to prevent the pain! The chiropractor is a great option, massage therapist too. You know though, if you go for a manicure some salons include hand massage and even a hot paraffin wax treatment that is AMAZING. Try it out. You only get 2 hands, take good care of them to make them last for the whole of your life girls. I know I want to be crafting right up until I die Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
aprettymess

plenty of creativity... not enough hands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2012 07:02:40 AM »

thanks everyone  Cool

bananaleg being so small is not all its cracked up to be, i wouldnt mind be a bit taller and a bit more marilyn a bit less twiggy  Tongue but i learned to love me how i am nonetheless and focus on the perks like dresses from a yard and skirts from 2 fat qtrs lol. thanks for sharing those excercies... i will have to try them out. your slippers are too cute! how long did that take? did you follow a pattern for the headband?

tryskal i used to have a work uniform like yours... ugh! who designs those pants anyways?!?!

dewshine dont feel bad about it. some of us craft in spurts around life. i start school a week from monday and will slow down significantly... here we go anatomy/physiology part 2... wish me luck

kookaloo my dogs are attracted to yarn too lol i thought it was a cat thing haha at least my pups arent the only kitty cats. cant wait to see the sweater  Grin

always i did use a ballpoint needle (which reminds me... better change it out before i start anything else) and tied the stretch stitches but didnt like them much so i went with a zig zag and it seemed to work.

nisforneville i love your little adipose. i have never seen dr. who and when you said adipose i naturally thought of fat tissue hahaha... a little anatomy humor  Tongue

i really need to practice knitting with my needles but want my hands to rest so i will probably just sew this weekend. i think i oevr did it with excitment for my new looms lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2012 07:07:08 AM »

Anything too small to be sewn gets thrown into a big popcorn tin I snagged...I use this bin for altered crafts or ties for packages, etc.  I cut all scraps into 3-1/2 inch, 2", and 1" squares..when I have enough, I do like scrappysue does--make a quilt or bag or something...

I have been sewing and knitting for over 50 years...the key to keeping your body from wearing out is to give it a break!  Stand up, move around, stretch, drink lots of water and antiflammatory foods, hot baths or soaks, chiro, massage, etc.

Too many people just keep on going through the pain!  Pain is a signal that you need to listen to!  Please I want to see you young people crafting when I am 120!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
cloudsnapper
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2012 07:49:21 AM »

All my little narrow scraps (3/8" to 5/8") get kept until I have a bunch of them, then I knot them together and knit them on big needles. That was when I did quilts, though, and it was easier to accumulate something like that. I got like like a foot into a scarf, but I can tell this is going to be a super long-term project, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plaidpineapple
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2012 11:22:35 AM »

I am happy to announce I have completed some projects that I have wanted to do for a long time now.
First up-something white.  I almost bought some earring holders online but I have been trying to "use what I have".  So I looked around and found these white frames buried deep in storage.  Then I remembered this light linen I received that use to be my grandmothers, before she passed away.  So My sentimental earring holder was born.
2- Then  I completed some earrings for Myself.  I remembered why I have not delved into my beads for so long.  I am so indecisive when it comes to making jewelry.  These 7 pair took me almost a whole day to create.

Lastly I was able to cross one more item off of my crafting wish list-  A headband organizer.  I spray painted an empty oatmeal canister.  I need to eat a lot of oatmeal though because I think I need 2 more to have enough for all my headbands. Between my daughter and I we have a lot of headbands.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012 11:23:29 AM by plaidpineapple » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cursive_queen
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2012 11:29:02 AM »

Great idea with the oatmeal can for the headbands - you just pop them on?  I might have to make one for the kiddo.
How are the earrings on the holder?  Do you have foam or something behind the fabric that it's pierced into?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2012 11:41:23 AM »

first off, the earrings are lovely---simple and elegant!

I love that you used what you had---the vintage linen is precious and looks like it came from the 30's...tiny florals!

An oatmeal headband holder...how clever is that!  Do you use the insides to hold barrettes and pony tail holders?

A great destash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 164 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 11/19
How to Crochet Different Size Holes For Tree Skirts
How to Crochet Half Rainbow Borders
How to Crochet Leaves Part 1/6
How to Crochet Leaves Part 2/6
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...