A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bubble Skirt for New Year Party  (Read 2353 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Anyuta
« on: December 28, 2011 07:28:09 PM »

You know you're obsessed with crafting when: you see a cute skirt in the store and think "ohhh! I totally gotta get some nice fabric and make one like that" - True story.

For the upcoming New Year party, I made myself a silky, shiny, gorgeous bubble skirt! And it only took a couple of hours! I honestly think it came out way better than what I saw in the store but, as I have no photo to compare, you'll just have to take my word for it Wink

I found a lot of different tutorials and how-to's for bubble skirts, the idea I ended up using, however,(there was no one tutorial that I used, but rather a mix of several) was fashioning the skirt out of a straight skirt and a circle skirt.

For this I used:
-A wide elastic belt
-A bit of old shirt to make the straight skirt (any stretchy fabric works)
-About 1.5 m of silky gold fabric

Step 1: Sew the elastic into a belt that sits comfortably, wherever you want it to sit (ideally hips?)
Step 2: Sew the straight skirt onto the edge of the belt (the side it's sewn on will become the inside of your skirt)
           Note: the skirt should be about 10 cm bellow the desired length
Step 3: Cut out a doughnut for the circle skirt (the hole being about 10cm larger in circumference than the belt is). To do so, fold fabric into two and then two again, draw an arc 1/4 of the desired circumference and from there measure the desired length of the skirt + 20cm.

Step 4: Gather the top of the circle skirt: sew a simple stitch by hand and then pull at the string till it's the same width as     the belt. Stick or pin the skirt onto the belt before sewing it on with the machine, making sure that the gathering is uniform. The skirt should be sewn on right side of fabric to right side of belt, but upside down, so that when you lower it, the stitches are hidden.

Step 5: Now that you have a pretty circle skirt and a straight skirt underneath, it's time to put them together to make the magic happen. As you did with the top of the circle skirt, gather the bottom hem. At the same time, you can fold the edge under 1~1.5 cm to hide the raw part. Mind you, it will gather a LOT more than it did on the top.

Step 6: Spread out the gatherings, pin the edge of the circle skirt to the edge of the straight skirt, and sew on with a zig-zag stitch. Voila! Admire the flow-y effect of your new bubble skirt!

Here is a shot of it inside out, so you can get a better idea of how it's made (I hope the writing is legible!)

I hope the instructions are helpful! It's a combination of others' instructions, my mom's tips and my own logic/learning by doing experience.

And of course, the model shot! (Now just to find/make a nicer shirt... hmmm)

Thanks for looking! =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CloudxxSeph
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011 08:50:11 PM »

I don't really like the bubble hem style in general, but this skirt is SO CUTE!!! and a fantastic material, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
85%confusion
I suffer from CADD: Crafting Attention Deficit Disorder.

With enough caffiene, I could rule the world.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011 09:15:59 PM »

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing your method so clearly... my 14 year old saw a skirt very similar to this at the mall... But I wasn't about to pay $60 for $3 worth of fabric (with coupon, lol). Now I can make her one!

btw - you look gorgeous in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.OneCraftyChickadee.etsy.com')

Find me on facebook!

My flickr has swap spoilers!!! Partners, you have been warn
Anyuta
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011 08:15:41 AM »

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing your method so clearly... my 14 year old saw a skirt very similar to this at the mall... But I wasn't about to pay $60 for $3 worth of fabric (with coupon, lol). Now I can make her one!

btw - you look gorgeous in it!

Glad to help! That was exactly my reasoning, although the skirt I saw was 40$ (still... 40+tax= more than I'm willing to pay!)
Can you send me a link when you're done? I would love to see what you come up with! =D
And thanks ^^ I can't wait for the New Year party to show it off!

I don't really like the bubble hem style in general, but this skirt is SO CUTE!!! and a fantastic material, too!

Thanks! I think it's because of the fabric; it's very light and flow-y so the bubble hem creates a bit of volume and draping, but not too much actual bubble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raewolo
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011 06:43:44 AM »

Thanks for the quick tutorial. I've been wanting to make a bubble skirt for some time, and this will come in handy when I attempt one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

afc
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012 03:11:23 PM »

I have some other projects first, but after reading your tutorial I'm really looking forward to making one bubble skirt!!!!
Thanks for sharing all the process; it's very well explained and your skirt rocks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ratINcat
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012 08:47:32 AM »

Love the material you chose for the skirt. Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Here Are The 8 Hottest Bikinis For The Summer Season
A Look Back: Kentucky Derby Celebrity Style
Best and Worst Dressed at the IHeart Radio Music Awards 2014
Did Kim Kardashian Go Too Far With These Ripped Jeans?
Light Things Up in the Bedroom with Glow in the Dark Lingerie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...