A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,269
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need ideas on hiding ugly plastic bins  (Read 1794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wharion
« on: October 10, 2011 04:32:42 PM »

I have a pretty small apartment, with little to no storage space (I have a small clothes closet in the bedroom, nothing else though). As such, I have about 4 plastic bins holding things like craft supplies, winter clothes, spare bedding, and so on -- the sort of thing one usually kicks into the closet! I'm talking about this sort of thing: (click for plastic bin pic)

Right now, those live stacked in a corner against a wall, but that's kind of lame. I'm wondering if any of you fabulous creative types have a good idea for, I don't know, hiding or camouflaging the things? I don't have a closet to stick them in or a bed to put them under, but I can't totally get rid of them.

I'm pretty sure there's no good answer to this question (aside from get rid of your extra stuff, woman), but I'm crossing my fingers anyway. Help me, crafty folk, you're my only hope.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011 07:31:18 PM »

I'm not sure how often you need to access the bins, so these ideas might not work for you.

My first thought was to stack them up - two by two - and put a board across the top.  Then cover with some pretty fabric.  If you put the short ends together, would you have room to use them behind your sofa like a table or along a wall for extra display space? 

Another idea might be to go tall - stack them up in a corner.  I would cover in fabric, but maybe you could find / make a screen to put in front of them?  If you could make / cover the face of the screen with metal or cork I think it would make a great place to display pictures and notes.  The bins would be much easier to access this way too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phoenyx
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011 12:49:10 PM »

The link didn't work for me, so I'm not quite sure what size bin you are using.  I'm going to guess they are probably similar to the ones I have, though.

I have several that have been stacked, either two or four high (the short bins are about 5.5" tall), draped with fabric, and used as end tables in my living room for years.  They are disguised and functional... if you aren't getting into them often. (I would not recommend this for frequent use items, like craft supplies... at least, in my case.)

If you are hardware handy, and/or the bins are a bit smaller, you could do a variation of Ikea's Trofast system.  My skill level falls closer to beginner, so rather than routing runners, I'd screw in 1x2s.  If you do the measurements beforehand, you can get everything cut at the lumber store.  Partially disguised, and more readily accessible. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Baby Shower Flower Seed Packet
How to Make a Baby Shower Animal Picture Frame
How to Reuse Your Old Road Maps as Placemats
How to Create Gorgeous Silhouette Plates from Old Plates
How to Frame Your Personal Valuables
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...