A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flavoring Your Paneer (aka Curd or Fresh Cheese)  (Read 1102 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sita108
« on: December 28, 2011 06:47:45 PM »

So... I love curd.  That's all there is to it!  If you aren't familiar with it, you need to be!  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paneer)

That being said, I was making some curd a while back, and at the last minute I decided to try flavoring it.  I made a batch with some basic seasonings, and a sweet, cinnamon sugar batch.  All I can say is that they were good enough that I decided to share it here!

Salt, Pepper, Basil and Oregano gave a very light fresh taste.

Cinnamon and Sugar made for a sweet treat great on toast!

How To:

I followed the basic steps to making paneer, heat milk until boiling (don't burn!) and pour in a little lemon juice until the milk starts to separate.  Stir the mixture, until separation is complete and strain the curds into a cheese cloth.  (I like to save the whey for use in other recipes.)  After rinsing the curds (to remove the lemon juice), I kneaded it so that it would be very firm.  This is when I added the seasoning. (I don't measure very often, so just add what you like until it looks good!)  I then wrapped the curds in the cheese cloth and set a pot full of water on top for a couple of hours.

Once the curd is ready, there's lots to do with it!  I always like to make a nice subji with paneer, but the herb paneer would also be great in a salad, or sandwich!  The sweet paneer is great on it's own, but I also spread some on toast and it was delicious!  (It was a little difficult to spread since I made it firm so next time I might plan ahead and not knead it or press it as long.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011 03:25:18 PM »

wow! I've never had flavoured paneer before, sounds amazing.  I really like to use paneer in salads, so basil paneer would be perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Sita108
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012 02:00:21 PM »

Yah!  I've always liked feta on salads, so this can make a good alternative.    Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012 04:23:22 PM »

Homemade paneer, mmmm. My north indian friend, Aastha, didn't understand making your own paneer as she has always just bought the huge package and froze it. Since she taught me to use paneer, I've been interested in trying this myself.

Is it really that easy? Warm and stir milk, add lemon juice to look, strain and press? Daaamn, I want the cinnamon sugar one. Even better, CUMIN flavored! I would go crazy on that! Taco flavored, five spice, garden-fresh basil and garlic, spinach INSIDE the paneer inside the palak paneer? Way meta! I'm excited now, I may have to buy milk to test this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Sita108
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012 08:22:42 AM »

Haha!  That's about how excited I got when I first realized you could flavor it!  And it really is that easy, I've been making it on my own since grade school, so it can't be too hard!  There are videos online for how to make it, and it might help to watch one of those before your first go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Master Focal Length
How to Interview for a Documentary
How to Shoot an Interview
Recording Room Tones
How to Use Reflectors
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...