A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creamy Caramel Filled Chocolates  (Read 500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sita108
« on: December 28, 2011 06:43:29 PM »

Now, before you read the recipe, let me tell you… I’ve never used caramel when making anything before, so there might be a better way of doing this.  I will hopefully learn some fancier things soon (Maybe someone here can help with that!), but for now I’m happy with how these turned out!

What I Used:
One 11oz bag of Caramel Bits
2 Tblsp Water
¼ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
Coating Chocolate

What I Did:

To make the filling, I poured the bag of caramel into a microwave safe container and per the bag’s instructions, I added two tablespoons of water and put it in the microwave for two minutes.  Then, I realized that just putting this inside the chocolate will be tasty, but sticky.  I decided to experiment, and it worked out really well!  So what I did was I took a quarter cup of heavy whipping cream and heated it up on the stove at medium heat.  As soon as it started to boil, I mixed it into the caramel.  (This is very similar to making a ganache filling for truffles, so I thought it would work.)

I set the filling in the refrigerator for a little while, while I worked on some other candies.  When I was ready (and the filling was no longer warm), I took it out.  What I ended up with was a caramel filling that was creamier and softer than regular caramel, which is perfect for biting into with chocolate!

To fill the candies, I used a package of coating chocolate and melted it per the instructions on the bag.  I use coating chocolate because I know that it will always be tempered, shiny and hard once it is done.  (Regular chocolate really isn’t hard to temper in the microwave, I just don’t have the money to experiment too much right now with candy that just immediately melts in everyone’s hands!)  I spooned a little bit of the chocolate into the mold, and used a toothpick to “brush” it up onto the sides.  (Don’t forget to tap the mold on the counter to make sure there are no air bubbles!)

Once these hardened, I spooned some filling into each mold, and smoothed it out with another toothpick.  (Don’t fill up the entire mold because you need room for the rest of the chocolate!)  After filling the molds, I spooned a little more chocolate on top and spread it evenly with a toothpick.  Here is where it’s most important to tap the mold because it takes out any air bubbles, and gives the bottoms a nice even surface to sit on!

Just pop these in the fridge, and when they are cooled down enough, you will see some separation from the mold and the chocolate (you’ll have to look at what will be the top of the chocolates).  Just turn the mold upside down and press lightly on each (sometimes a little twist to the mold helps) and you have yummy homemade chocolates that look store bought! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

85%confusion
I suffer from CADD: Crafting Attention Deficit Disorder.

With enough caffiene, I could rule the world.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011 09:06:07 PM »

I'm impressed! They look gorgeous, and sound tasty. Thanks for sharing your method.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.

www.OneCraftyChicka dee.etsy.com

Find me on facebook!

My flickr has swap spoilers!!! Partners, you have been warn
Sita108
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012 02:04:02 PM »

Thanks!  And they are just SO easy!  (Especially since its mostly done in the microwave.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: The Suit Fitting
Behind the Scenes of Kai Lenny Style Challenge
Look Alive in a Sea of Sharks
The Sixties Make a Comeback in 2013
Giving a Modern Look to the Princess Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...