A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 315,691
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kumihimo cords made with a simple loom, with link to tutorial page  (Read 3118 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimadagem
« on: December 28, 2011 09:18:49 AM »

I've been looking for ways to make cords for my pendants and I really like the ones made with the little kumihimo looms. The technique I used for these was the simplest one I could find - only one thread is moved and it's always the same one. I like that because there's less chance I'll get confused and move the wrong thread.

Here are some of the cords I've made:

I also made a Squidoo lens (web page) with a tutorial for anyone who is interested in trying these. It's here:

http://www.squidoo.com/simple-kumihimo

There are more pictures there and an embedded video that shows the technique I learned. I also came up with a way to design color patterns using this method and that's explained there too, along with some charts I've used to plan my own designs. I set them up so they could be downloaded and used with a simple paint program, and I'd love feedback - especially if they don't work! Smiley

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
chickybiker
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011 04:27:22 AM »

Meg, do you always have to tie this sort of braid off with a big knot, or is there another way to start and finish it that you know of that is a bit smoother?

I love the way that when you lucet braid the start and finish just taper off, plus you can keep going from a ball of yarn, whereas with kumihimo I imagine you have to have an idea of how long you want it beforehand or the strands would get tangled?

I am looking out for a mechanical i-cord knitter with a crank handle so I can literally crank out metres of cord at a time and see what that can make by either re-braiding it or sewing it into shapes.  I would love to make an i-cord rug or something.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012 03:35:40 AM »

I love your cords! I have only just heard of this technique while researching tablet weaving, yours look so stunning!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
kimadagem
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012 09:05:05 AM »

Thank you both for your feedback, and I apologize for not responding to Chickybiker's before now - I was offline for several weeks right after I started this thread and just lost track of things. Anyway -

I think a knot is the best way to start the cord because it keeps the individual threads tight when you first start moving them, but I don't think the knot has to stay in; if you don't make it too tight you could untie it later on (the cord doesn't unravel easily, I think because the "weave" is so complicated). The same thing would apply to the finished end. I think the individual ends would need to be treated with something to keep them from fraying, though. I know of 2 other ways to finish the cords; one involves gluing the ends to the inside of a tubular finding and the other involves wrapping wire around the end and then making a loop at the end for a jump ring or clasp. I hope that helps give some more ideas.

ScrappySue, thank you! I really like making cord this way; it's not fast but the cord is really sturdy and there are a lot of design possibilities, especially if you vary the kinds of threads you use. And I really like being able to match the cord to the pendant.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
chickybiker
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012 10:10:29 AM »

Hey, no worries Meg, life happens.   Wink

Thanks for that.  I have seen a bracelet finding this last week that I think you're describing.  And I have made wirework ends like you say too.  It definitely gives me ideas, thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Learn About Painting and Sculpture
Learn About The Evolution of an Art Style
Learn About "Bombing Middle England" by Banksy
How to Paint Still Life Fruit
Learn About "Triptych, 1974" by Francis Bacon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...