A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kumihimo cords made with a simple loom, with link to tutorial page  (Read 2185 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimadagem
« on: December 28, 2011 09:18:49 AM »

I've been looking for ways to make cords for my pendants and I really like the ones made with the little kumihimo looms. The technique I used for these was the simplest one I could find - only one thread is moved and it's always the same one. I like that because there's less chance I'll get confused and move the wrong thread.

Here are some of the cords I've made:

I also made a Squidoo lens (web page) with a tutorial for anyone who is interested in trying these. It's here:

http://www.squidoo.com/simple-kumihimo

There are more pictures there and an embedded video that shows the technique I learned. I also came up with a way to design color patterns using this method and that's explained there too, along with some charts I've used to plan my own designs. I set them up so they could be downloaded and used with a simple paint program, and I'd love feedback - especially if they don't work! Smiley

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
chickybiker
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011 04:27:22 AM »

Meg, do you always have to tie this sort of braid off with a big knot, or is there another way to start and finish it that you know of that is a bit smoother?

I love the way that when you lucet braid the start and finish just taper off, plus you can keep going from a ball of yarn, whereas with kumihimo I imagine you have to have an idea of how long you want it beforehand or the strands would get tangled?

I am looking out for a mechanical i-cord knitter with a crank handle so I can literally crank out metres of cord at a time and see what that can make by either re-braiding it or sewing it into shapes.  I would love to make an i-cord rug or something.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012 03:35:40 AM »

I love your cords! I have only just heard of this technique while researching tablet weaving, yours look so stunning!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
kimadagem
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012 09:05:05 AM »

Thank you both for your feedback, and I apologize for not responding to Chickybiker's before now - I was offline for several weeks right after I started this thread and just lost track of things. Anyway -

I think a knot is the best way to start the cord because it keeps the individual threads tight when you first start moving them, but I don't think the knot has to stay in; if you don't make it too tight you could untie it later on (the cord doesn't unravel easily, I think because the "weave" is so complicated). The same thing would apply to the finished end. I think the individual ends would need to be treated with something to keep them from fraying, though. I know of 2 other ways to finish the cords; one involves gluing the ends to the inside of a tubular finding and the other involves wrapping wire around the end and then making a loop at the end for a jump ring or clasp. I hope that helps give some more ideas.

ScrappySue, thank you! I really like making cord this way; it's not fast but the cord is really sturdy and there are a lot of design possibilities, especially if you vary the kinds of threads you use. And I really like being able to match the cord to the pendant.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
chickybiker
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012 10:10:29 AM »

Hey, no worries Meg, life happens.   Wink

Thanks for that.  I have seen a bracelet finding this last week that I think you're describing.  And I have made wirework ends like you say too.  It definitely gives me ideas, thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken Legs Part 1/2
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken Legs Part 2/2
How to Make Potato Chips Part 1/2
How to Make Potato Chips Part 2/2
How to Make Hash Browns
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...