A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The 20$ Product  (Read 1034 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissMouse
« on: December 28, 2011 06:41:16 AM »

I recently graduated from a textile program at college. We learned that the best thing to sell is a 20$ product, however we were trained to use high quality materials and to put in an abundance of detail, resulting in our products taking hours and hours to make and dollars and dollars in materials. We never learned how to make a quick and easy lower price point item.
I'm finding it difficult to come up with something because everything takes me a minimum of 4 hours to make due to my training.
I'm predominately knitting and embroidery/quilting. (NOT cross stitch)

So, what are your favourite 20$ products?
Do you have any suggestions for me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011 07:17:00 AM »

High quality with lots of detail for $20? Isn't that a quaint notion. For $20 or less you're talking about a simple neck cover (those short scarfy things that just go around the neck), beanie, wrist cuff or bookmarks, maybe some kind of interesting brooches or pendants. You might add detail that's simple to apply - a fancy-schmancy button, knotted fabric strips or hot-glued rhinestones or flowers etc. Your materials have to cost next to nothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMouse
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011 07:50:11 AM »

I know what you mean.
My last craft fair product I made scenes of abandoned houses out of hand painted cotton and Dupioni silk. I sold them for 75$ but found out later that the person who helped us with pricing got us to sell them at our wholesale prices rather than retail prices because we were students. Which was unfair when someone wanted to buy them at the wholesale price and the guy in my class had to sell his handmade ties for 30$, which didn't even cover the cost of his materials.

I have a cute hat designed that I was selling for 30. And I can whip up wristies really quickly.
Knitting just takes SO LONG.
But then again, I knit when I study and have been knitting since I was 7, so I barely even have to pay attention when I'm knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kodeekins
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012 12:13:14 PM »

With time, you will become faster and more efficient with each product you make so eventually it won't take 4 hours to make a product. What used to take me four hours now takes 45 minutes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Cheeseburgers
Eggs in a Nest Recipe
Chocolate Peanut Butter Treat Recipe
Simple and Satisfying Sliders Recipe
Quick Easy Recipes for Busy Moms
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...