A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about checking your gauge  (Read 484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shsupernova
funny love

your chopsticks dance will win over his heart

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2005 04:45:25 AM »

so i want to make this hat that is crocheted in the round (in single crochet), but for some reason i'm just not getting how to check my gauge.  it says 21 stiches and 24 rounds=4".  so i'm guessing that once you have done 24 rounds, that it should measure 4" in diameter.  but what is the 21 stitches? Huh  in the pattern the 24th round has 104 stitches.  i feel like this should be so simple, but it's just not making any sense to me.   Undecided   if someone could please explain it to me, i would be greatly appreciative.  thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

red883
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005 05:04:01 AM »

Good Morning!  Smiley
My guess would be to count off 21 stitches in a row and it should be 4" long.
Another gauge check would be to measure 24 rows down of completed rows and that should be 4"; meaning that 6 rows of sc would be an inch. They are giving you 2 ways of measuring your gauge.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off the mark...

When I do hats I feel that I should be close to but don't have to be exact (as with a fitted garment). It depends on how you crochet. If you want to be "right on" gauge and you aren't- adjust your hook size (but you already knew that!)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Crochet  Smiley
He Makes Hooks: www.brainsbarn.com
jjgirl

I love crochet patterns & crochet hats!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005 05:13:48 AM »

That's close to the concept, but you can have 21 st in a row X 6 rows that would also give you a 4" square.  You have to measure both ways to get the exact size: the 21 st/row and the 24 rows.

If you want to get an exact gauge for a piece of clothing or an accessory, you should first make a gauge swatch with the same hook and yarn you are planning to use for the project.  In your case, just chain 21 st, and sc in the second chain from you hook and then in each of them across (21st).  Continue making those 21st for 24 more rows.  If you have the correct gauge for the hat, you should end up with a 4x4" square.  If that's the case, start making your hat!

However, if you come out with a bigger that 4" square, try using a smaller hook to get tighter stitches.  The opposite is true too: if your square is only 3", try using a larger hook to make looser stitches and therefore a better gague! 

Hope all this helps, just experiment and see how everything turn out! 
(We'd also love to see this hat when it's finished, so don't forget to post a final project pic!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shsupernova
funny love

your chopsticks dance will win over his heart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005 03:03:07 PM »

oohhh, i think i get it now.  Roll Eyes  so 21 stitches should measure 4",  and also 24 rounds should measure 4".  that makes much more sense.  for some reason i thought they were trying to say that the 24th round would have 21 stitches.  tee hee!!  thanks for your help!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Rainstick
How to Pick Out Knitting Yarn
How to Fold and Sew a Trousers
How to Sew a Torn Seam
How to Put a Thread on a Sewing Machine
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...