A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Holey socks  (Read 5109 times)
Tags for this thread: socks  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karaisclumsy
« on: December 27, 2011 09:38:00 AM »

I have too many socks and tights:

And I want to thin out my collection. The most obvious place to start is by getting rid of the socks with holes in the heels... but I'm crafty at heart and can't throw anything away. I just don't know what to make with them, though. Most sock animals seem to be pretty heel-centric. Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeliciaSlayDCRG
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011 10:00:09 AM »

Baby leg warmers?  Arm warmers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FaerieCyn
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011 10:12:28 AM »

You could put rice in a small one, stick it in a big one and make sock poi?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an Unseelie pixie with a big imagination and access to thrift stores.
 My Wist: http://www.wists.com/FaerieCyn
BlueCherryFaerie
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011 10:13:03 AM »

-Doll clothes.  Socks often have small patterns so they lend themselves well to using the fabric to make doll clothes with them.  You can make pants/tights, leg warmers, dresses, shirts, etc. for fashion dolls, action figures, some baby dolls etc.  

-Along the same line, you can make a doll quilt with the "good parts" of your socks.

-You can make small stuffed animals from them (especially from fuzzy socks).  Or you can use them as accents for stuffed animals, like for horns, eyes, stomaches, faces, etc.  

-Make handle potholders for cast iron pots.  You'll need to use several socks and some heat resistant fabric, but you could make cute potholder sleeves that will go on your cast iron pot handles.  

-Golf club cozies if you know anyone that plays golf.  You can make cozies for their clubs.

-Small purses/bags for toddlers.  Small kiddos love putting stuff in bags (or atleast most that I know do).  You can cut off the leg of a sock and make a small bag with drawstrings or a handle for the kiddos to put treasures in.

That's just a few off the top of my head.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011 11:04:19 AM »

This is what I do with my son's holey old school socks.

I fold the sock up and then turn the cuff inside out to enclose the folded sock.

The fold the ends under, pin it

and stitch each end firmly to make a pad. 
Which can be used for all sorts of things - cleaning the bath; polishing shoes/furniture. When my son was smaller he used one as a pad to prevent the .303 from bruising his shoulder.

(You can also use them to make jugging balls but you'd need to close off the holes first before filling with a wine-glass-full of rice or other grains.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011 02:15:37 PM »

I saw someone on the internet somewhere who had cut the bottoms off all her holey socks and then stitched the sock tops together to create a long tube. Then she sewed the sock-tube to the top of some ankle socks. They were the most unique pair of over-the-knee socks I'd ever seen! It may have been on Wardrobe Refashion, come to think of it... The new Refashion Co-op has a post by a girl who turned new socks into a long-sleeve top.

Alternatively, you could sew a long tube of sock tops and use it as a scarf.

You could cut the sock tops open into rectangles and stitch a ton of rectangles together into a patchwork. You could make a throw for your bed, use it as fabric for a skirt or purse, use it as a big foofy scarf/shawl...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BriShae

"hold on, a change may be just around the corner."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012 06:58:07 PM »

One day i was putting on my socks and my dog started playing with them as i tried putting them on.

I took a small bag put it inside the sock, As the bag was inside the sock I blew it up into a balloon shape and tied a knot in the bag which was now filled with air. Then Tie the opening of sock into a knot so then it would be closed.  My little dog loves it and hasnt poped it yet so air is still in it!

Easy to make if it pops but the are surprisingly durable for fetch and stuff Smiley

its my dogs favorite toy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmandimarie
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012 09:49:46 PM »

You could make a very fun and colorful doll or animal..like a sock monkey! You could even stuff it with other socks if you wanted...or maybe rice or beans or cushion of some type
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stefjc
Trying to recycle myself

Reduced Reused Revamped Recycled: Reloved Remnants

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012 08:45:27 AM »

You could darn or needle felt the holes.... especially if you really like the sock.

Needle felting might add a really interesting dimension, depending where on the monster the heel sits (I haven't looked closely at the patterns).

Or take the ones with holes, cut off the feet and join together to make draft excluders - stuff with whatever is allowable where you live!

Use the feet for....... erm....... dish cloths and cleaning pads, if you modify elderflowers idea a bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Slowly but surely.... I will!
http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012 11:02:09 AM »

Elderflower, that's clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50% both shops
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn an Old Watercolor Brush into a Tool
How to Reuse Old Tubes of Watercolor Paint
How to Protect Your Paintings from Damage
Assembling Supplies for Plein Air Painting
How to Draw Bamboo with Watercolor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...