A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Battery-operated lighting for night markets  (Read 528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

manicmuse
« on: June 29, 2012 07:56:02 AM »

My first night market is fast approaching and wanted advice on lighting.  I won't have access to electrical outlets.  I bought a few of those LED tap lights that you can affix to your display.  Those appear to work really well.  But, I need advice on illuminating my 10x10 tent.  Anyone have experience with the battery-op garden string lights or paper lanterns?  I didn't want to have to go thru dozens of batteries but unsure of my options. 

Thank you!  Rhoda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012 10:12:25 AM »

My boyfriend's father has an awesome battery-operated lantern that can illuminate a twelve person camping tent. It looks like a traditional propane lantern but with two vertical loops of fluorescent tubing inside, and it uses a big square 9 volt battery so it lasts quite a while! You might need two for opposite corners of the tent (you want people to marvel over your awesome crafts, not just find their bed), and I'd recommend hanging them to get the best light distribution. The only minus is that it's a stark blue-white light that might not illuminate your crafts in the most flattering manner possible. Using super-thin beige coloured crepe/tissue paper over the glass might help to warm the tone of the light without reducing the light output too much.

In general, I'd recommend you buy the most expensive camping lanterns you can afford, because this is an investment. Higher light output, long-lasting BIG batteries, and a rechargeable option (NiMH, not lithium) are all things you'll need to look at when you go shopping.

I hope you find a solution that works well for you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012 10:15:58 AM »

You can also increase the light output by using mirrors to reflect more light. Learned that when trying to get light out of those weak-as-water solar lamps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Workshop For Peace
Audio Speakers Installed in Hollowed Tree Trunks
Upside Down Fan Built Using a Helicopter
The Freedom Tower Rises: Rebuilding 1 World Trade Center
The Bay Bridge LED Project
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...