A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Re-fashioned cardigan  (Read 2623 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Julija
« on: December 26, 2011 11:57:59 AM »

Hello Everyone!

I'd like to share with you my latest project: a re-fashioned cardigan. What I did: I took an old simple cardigan, cut off sleeves and made a braid along the neckline. Very easy, very simple idea what to do with an old cardigan you no longer use (I just hope I posted it in the right section Cheesy )

Blogged here: http://bagsyoucanmake.blogspot.com/2011/12/tutorial-re-fashioned-cardigan.html

So, let's start with 'before' and 'after' pics (I do not know why the photos are a bit unclear, maybe I did something wrong uploading?):

And now how I made it:

1. Decide how short you want your sleeves, mark it and cut (photo 1). Fold the end of the sleeve and sew, like you see in photo 2.

2. Take the cut-off sleeve, cut the end (don't know how to say it, but cut the part that has different knitting Grin ). Take the remaining part of the cut-off sleeve and cut as many long stripes as you can (stripes should be 2,5 cm (about 1 inch) width). Sew the ends of the stripes so that you have 3 very long stripes.

3. Take one stripe, wrong side facing up, sew the long edge and turn it inside out. Repeat with the remaining 2 stripes (photo 3). Take the stripes and braid nicely (as you see in photo 4, I secured the ends of the braid with tape, but you can secure it in any way you want).

4. Take the braid, put it along the entire neckline and stitch by hand (photo 5). Stitches should not be visible from outside (photo 6). As for the ends, remove the tape (if you used it), push raw ends inside and secure by stitching.

That's it. I hope I explained everything clearly.
If you have any questions - please leave them in the comments and I'll answer them!

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011 12:37:56 PM by Julija » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clarachk
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011 09:20:07 AM »

I personally love it. I am glad that you included a mini-tute. Thank you! It is simple and clear. The braid is a nice touch and what a great way to use up those lopped-off sleeves. By the way.... the word you didn't know..... (The sleeve part that has a different knit)... Cuffs <3. See, you learn something new every day! (I do too!) Love your new sweater~! Makes me want to raid the husband's closet for old sweaters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
Julija
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011 10:16:38 AM »

I personally love it. I am glad that you included a mini-tute. Thank you! It is simple and clear. The braid is a nice touch and what a great way to use up those lopped-off sleeves. By the way.... the word you didn't know..... (The sleeve part that has a different knit)... Cuffs <3. See, you learn something new every day! (I do too!) Love your new sweater~! Makes me want to raid the husband's closet for old sweaters!

Thank you very much for the help, Clarachk! I sure learned the word now Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012 07:20:19 AM »

I love this idea, gorgeous and thanks so much for including the tute, I'm always looking at ways to use up the sleeves I always end up cutting off.

Thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Julija
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012 11:01:48 AM »

mink_bikini - I'm very glad you like it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust Brightness and Contrast in Paint.NET
How to Adjust Image Resolution in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust Shadow Levels in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust the Hue and Saturation in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...