A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Present Yarn  (Read 539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mossie
« on: December 26, 2011 08:05:58 AM »

One of my sisters (not the one I mentioned teaching to knit in a previous thread) put together a lovely gift basket for me with a six pack of my favorite beer and three skeins of yarn.  Her criteria for picking the yarn was that it matched the beer (gift baskets must be pretty!) and not cost twelve dollars a skein.  She wanted to get me non-acrylic yarns, but, as a non-knitter, the fact that nice yarn can be costly was a bit of a shock for her.

I love how much effort she put into this basket.  The description of her standing in the yarn aisle for twenty minutes feeling yarn was a gift all on its own.  How many times have I been in that exact same predicament!

She was so excited about the basket.  I really want to use all of the yarn, but, as you might imagine, not all of it is what I might have picked on my own.  Here's the info on my three skeins:

Patons Kroy Socks FX, Clover Colors (75% Wool, 25% Nylon, 166 yds with suggested needle size three)-I'm guessing on this oneone of my sister's cats got into the gift basket and thought that this skein was a fun toy for her; the yarn band is destroyed.

Lion Brand Home Spun, Wildfire (98% Acrylic, 2% Polyester, 185 yds with a suggested needle size ten)

Red Heart Shimmer, Lime (97% Acrylic, 3% Metallic Polyester, 240 yds with a  suggested needle size six)

I tend to knit primarily with animal fibers.  I find that my hands get sweaty with acrylic yarn and I reserve it for knitting for animals.  I think I may end up using the green Red Heart for toys for my sister's cat.  I could probably do a head band with the sock yarn or hunt down another skein, hope the dye lot is close enough, and make a pair of socks out of it too.  The very orange LB is throwing me though.  I understand that it feels nice in a skein, but I've knitted with it before and it just isn't my preference.  Any thoughts on what to do with a single skein of it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011 09:22:55 AM »

With the Homespun, it's much easier to deal with if knit on size 11s and held loosely and that would be enough to make a bulky cowl or infinity scarf done in a simple pattern. The sock yarn too could be knit with much larger needles, like an 8 or 9 and a lace pattern for a shawlette or scarf; or just use more normal needles like a 6 and knit a fun side to side scarf like Baktus which would show off the color changes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Tephra
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011 10:27:27 AM »

One skein of sock yarn should be enough for a pair of fingerless mitts. A Ravelry search for 0-150 yards of sock yarn found several patterns (41 pages of patterns in all categories actually, but some were a case of :the smallest size takes 150 yards).

Depending on your foot size you might be able to get a pair of footie socks out of 150 yards, particularly a low vamp style like these. Of course if you pick up a coordinating solid you can do something larger such as a "fakeisle" style colorwork hat or socks with a solid foot and colorwork leg (or if you match one of the colors, a solid foot and a variegated leg).

If you have any teenagers (or adults with an adventurous fashion sense) in your circle of family and friends that shimmer lime could make arm warmers or a shawlette or other accessory.

I'm rather stuck on the homespun though. Maybe a bandana cowl? It's very basic knitting, so the texture of the yarn has nothing to fight. Or a basic teapot cozy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011 12:02:52 PM »

I would suggest checking out one of those ''one skein" books at your local library too.  They might have a pattern that you would like, or at least give you some ideas.  But anyways, other ideas would be perhaps a cozy for a mug, cell phone, or something along that line. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Wavy Pattern on a Loom
How to Knit a Placemat on a Rectangular Loom Part 1/2
How to Knit a Laptop Table Saver with a Loom Part 2/2
How to Knit a Placemat on a Rectangular Loom Part 2/2
How to Knit a Laptop Table Saver with a Loom Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...