A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 100 Flowers To Knit & Crochet Craftalong  (Read 13520 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011 01:28:00 AM »

mandys_momma that is lovely.Such a simple idea but looks so pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011 01:33:58 PM »

Here is a source on-line for knitting and crochet, yarn and needles of all kinds: www.patternworks.com   Their phone in US is:
 1-800-438-5464
You can get a catalog mailed to you. They offer a very extensive collection of needles and tools of all kinds, and are decently priced.
A warning on the yarn and patterns... These are very pricey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjr107
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011 04:25:55 PM »

I've seen that book and have always wanted to get it....nows here's my really good excuse!  Just have to wait until the holidays end and things quiet down for a week or so but it also looks like a bust some of the stash!

Will keep checking back!
-PJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011 07:11:35 PM »

Hi PJ, Please join us! I'm excited to see this CAL get going, and really wish to encourage you.  I hope you have tons of colors to play with!
  I just decided to try my first knitted flower. I'm doing the Poinsettia in a Dark pink wool, with a #2 needle. It's a tight knit, but I think it will work. And uses regular single point needles!   The pink is a perfect match to my Mom's "Red" poinsettia cookies.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjr107
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011 09:17:55 PM »

tons is an understatement. When my yarn was all together, I fill two big trash cans.  I've been sorting it by type into sheet set bags and wow am I overwhelmed!

off to look at the book on amazon!

pj
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011 08:39:05 PM »

hey pj!  I have always wanted to make flowers...I am working on a huge camelia now that is to be felted...these are smaller and would probably be really motivating...

I love the daffodils!  They are such happy colors!  Great way to use up bits of yarn and crochet threads...

I just ordered the book, so as soon as it gets here, I will be starting this...I would love to join a bunch of flowers together for a random scarf or some sort of garland...pins for bags and also winter coats would be wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011 07:22:41 AM »

OH, Joy!  alwaysinmyroom is joining us!  That camelia sounds really   interesting~ what are you going to do with it?
  I'm almost finished with my knitted poinsettia. It's about 5-1/2 inches across since I used worsted yarn. In crochet thread it would be about half that size, I think. I just have to make the center. My mom thinks I should give it more petals, the pattern shows 6. It turned out to be pretty easy, there are a few stitches that seem hard, but they aren't. They are just types of increases and decreases. The abbreviation KFB in the beginning gives you a pointed end to the petal. You are simply knitting all sides of a single stitch to end up with 3 stitches. Then you knit the 3 stitches , afterwards begin counting rows.   Later, in shaping the tops of the petals, the decrease stitches are intended to give a directional slant to the stitches, and you are loosing 2 at a time. It's really pretty easy.  I wove my yarn tails all the way down the back of the petals to the cast-on point before securing. The last petal, leave about 14 inches to sew them all together. I ended up sewing the petals a bit more securely than suggested, it seemed too un-stable sewing just the ends. I'll take some photos this afternoon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011 07:48:05 AM »

I ordered the book last night!  So excited!

The camelia is a Noni pattern...it is knitted and HUGE!  Once it is felted, it is applied to a Noni felted carpet bag that I am making for batgirl...you should have seen how huge the bag was before it was felted! Cheesy 

I will post the flower after I am done, even though it is not from this book...

I would love to do the poinsettas!  They would be so lovely on packages or on a wreath!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011 03:03:43 PM »

Grin   I'm Posting my first group of photos! There will be notes as I go. I have a tendency to change things a bit from the text, so you will find out! (By adding beads and stuff) Plus, there's one flower that doesn't belong here, but I included it just for fun!  Wink
Here's a group photo of what I have so far.

Next is a Ruffled Rose #94  The only changes were adding a bit of white and a few clear beads to make a center, and using a single main color. I used a #3 cotton yarn, and a 3.25 hook.(3" finished size) I thought this flower LOOKED easy~ it was in the advanced section!

Next is the white and lavender version of #94 in a slightly smaller gauge cotton. I put a beaded button in the center, and tacked in and beaded the flower. It is about 2.75 inches.

The next one I made is the Ivy Leaf,#79- crocheted. It is worsted wool yarn, and a 5mm/H hook. I used a gold on it for lack of light green. Then I started it in a #10 cotton, however have not finished it yet.

Saving the best for last: The knitted poinsettia! #2~ It was really easy, I used a size 2 single point needle, and wool yarn. Very tight knitting. I changed it up a bit by using hot pink, and adding beads to the center instead of the french knots. The center was actually knitted from 3-strand crewel wool, for lack of knitting yarn. I blocked it with the steam iron, it wanted to curl a lot. I'd like to see this done with a wider based petal, and a few smaller ones layered on top of the larger petals.

Finally, Here is a tray of yummy cookies my mom made, and the poinsettia flower to match.

Thanks Everyone for checking us out! I'm really looking forward to a wonderful Craftalong !
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011 10:01:24 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011 05:41:13 PM »

What a great start to this craftalong!  The poinsettia is gorgeous!  I like how you are making these your own by changing things up with the beads...they really do add a lot of dimension and texture...

I also love the little ivy...they would be so pretty trailing down a dark winter coat...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 10/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 7/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 3/5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...