A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,928
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 100 Flowers To Knit & Crochet Craftalong  (Read 14703 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2011 12:25:40 AM »

Cheesy  I just purchased a copy of this book. It is entitled 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet by Lesley Stanfield.  It is priced at US. $21.95. I found several on ETSY, even a Japanese version.
  I am posting it here, since it includes BOTH knitting and crochet.
  I am also making beaded COVERED BUTTONS and beading some of my flowers.
  I am excited about making these flowers!  The book is arranged by difficulty, and has very good instructions and photos. I just made 2 of the Number 94, the Ruffled Rose, and an Ivy Leaf. I find it easier to work out a pattern for the first time in a
heavier yarn,like a worsted, before going to a fine crochet cotton.
  Since reading and interpreting patterns like this can be challenging, I am hoping we can help each other with them.
There will be no particular order, my only request is that you make a few notes in your posts to help each other, or be willing to ask and answer questions.
  One rule, is that we cannot post the actual patterns scanned from the book, for reasons of copyrights laws.  The other rule, is that you cannot post your flowers as an advertisement, or refer to selling in any way.(Except for your siggie)
  I would love to see the different projects your flowers are used on, regardless of medium.
  Anyone Game?
P.S. I tried to find reference to this book being done as a CAL previously, and did not find it. If there is an old thread, please let me know.
Karen

The Ruffled Rose (#94) is pictured in the lower right corner of second photo. I'll get my first photos up Monday.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011 12:37:23 AM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandys_momma
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011 12:53:38 AM »

I bought this book from Amazon earlier this year. I haven't made any of the flowers yet.

I would particiate in the craftalong. IT would be cool to hear ideas to use the completed flowers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011 01:05:16 AM »

Hi, mandys_momma!  I'm excited to have you join me! I've been wanting to buy the book for a year now, and finally purchased it on ETSY. It happened to be a resale, but was in perfect condition.
  I think a few obvious ideas are: Brooches, Hair Clips, Greeting Cards,
Bookmarks, Journal Covers/ I-Pads, Purse Embellishments, Sew on scarves and Shawls. I saw a long narrow scarf the other day made with large roses, in a bulky yarn. they were linked together. Even a cluster of small flowers can be made into a statement necklace. This would be especially nice in a stiff cotton thread with beading. Any kind of fashion accessory, even sew a bunch of flowers around ribbons to decorate a vase. These are the first ideas I came up with.
   Do some "Yarn-Bombing" on a local tree?
I'm using the beaded buttons for flower centers.
Thanks for your reply!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011 01:17:31 AM »

This is one of my favourite books Grin

I made a selection of the crochet flowers which I hang above my mantlepiece as Spring decorations and  a vase full of daffodils for my Mum.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011 12:10:17 PM »

This is one of my favourite books Grin

I made a selection of the crochet flowers which I hang above my mantlepiece as Spring decorations and  a vase full of daffodils for my Mum.

That Sounds Lovely! Do you think you'd be willing to post a photo? I've been eyeing the daffodil pattern myself, and am needing to get some yellow for them. Did you wire the stems?
   Also, I'd love to have you join us, even if you have "mastered" this book! I'm not quite a crochet expert myself!  I find it a real challenge to work out the patterns sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011 02:52:37 AM »

I will happily share some pics and craftalong with you Grin

I need more flowers and butterflies for this Spring as my display was quite sparse last year. I don't have a pic of the full vase but I do have one of it partially filled. I used welding wire wrapped in yarn for the stems.

I'm hoping to master knittting with DPNs this year so this will give me some small projects to practise on.

My favourite so far is that fuchsia, Mum got that too to add to a knitted headband so I need to make more of those for this Spring/Summer.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011 02:53:18 AM by Kookaloo_Starr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011 03:46:03 PM »

Kookaloo_Star... They are so wonderful! Thanks for posting! I really love your flowers, and butterflies have so many possibilities.
  I'll get my few first pics up soon... I have the flu right now. But I did get out and buy some supplies, since I needed yarn for my Uncle's sweater, before the dye lot disappeared! So I picked up a huge multi-colored pack of UNSTRANDED floss for this. I may still have to work out the patterns in heavier yarn first. I'm going to be working back and forth between a wool sweater and cotton flowers! The flowers will be my treat to myself for knitting all the wool.
   Double pointed needles aren't so bad, but try to get them in bamboo, they aren't quite so slippery as metal; and don't forget the end caps!
Michaels doesn't carry them in small sizes, but Joannes does. Plus, I have an old catalog to check out. I'll post the address if the link still works.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011 03:51:40 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011 11:28:02 PM »

Thank you  Smiley

JoAnn and Micahel are no help to me, I live in England  Wink and inherited a ton of needles in various sizes (but mostly metal) when my friend Carol passed away last year so I will be using those and stash yarns/thread. My budget for crafting is virtually 0.

The flowers I've made so far have been in DK acrylic but I intend to use up some of my stash of #10 crochet thread on these too.
I want to make a garland of flowers.

I don't know when I will have a new flower to share but they are def' on my to-do list!

I'm also working on a sweater, the first one I've ever knit for my husband. He usually gets hats  Grin
and I have an ongoing snowflake project which I call "the blizzard" as I'm trying to make enough to give them to my entire family for their Xmas decorating - and I have a big family.

Sorry to hear you're ill, I have the flu too so know how you're feeling. Rest up and take it as easy as you can - more yarn time that way!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in '14
mandys_momma
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011 01:30:28 PM »

I really like this scarf idea:

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/692519/5492617/0/1246695583/Crochet_Flower_Scarf.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011 05:27:01 PM »

KS- Sorry to hear you have the flu too! I'm taking a quick moment between knitting and movies. Sounds like you have a great stash of supplies you inherited, and I'm sorry to hear you lost a friend.
  MM- Thanks for posting the link! That's such a pretty scarf. I was looking for an idea of the sort, something wearable with lots of colors! Perhaps stitch it along the front edge of an un-buttoned  sweater or topper? 
 I'm going to try to get on my photos with tomorrow's daylight. See Ya later....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Drawing Cartoons and Comics
Basics of Calligraphy
Salilah Moore on Sacred Geometry
Joe Brenman on Creating Murals
Ed Bronstein on Becoming a Painter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...