A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hook sizes and button eyes?  (Read 1068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RufusCCC
« on: December 23, 2011 10:11:54 PM »

Pardon the double-topic - first time poster here and mainly signed up to ask a few questions.

When I make amigurumi, I sew buttons on in place of eyes. I've searched local areas and have come up empty-handed when trying to find suitable safety eyes. I don't mind using buttons, but the fact of the matter is that whenever I sew them on and stuff my work, the buttons are always crooked. Admittedly, this could just be due to me not being very good at sewing, but I was curious if anybody had any advice to prevent this? Perhaps sewing eyes on from the outside after stuffing?

Secondly; hook sizes. I'm curious as to some of the larger sizes of hooks others have used when making amigurumi, mainly because I enjoy making things larger rather than smaller. The largest size I've used is a size I hook (5.5mm).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chpetunia
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012 10:04:05 AM »

Amigurumi are almost always tightly worked single crochet, done in a spiral without joining rounds.  By definition, amigurumi is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals or toys.

They usually follow the kawaii aesthetic - the word just means "cute" in Japanese, but to English speakers, the connotation tends to be "cute in a Japanese pop-culture way."   This often means strange proportions, like over-sized heads, or wide-set eyes with a mouth almost on the same level.  Hello Kitty is a good example.

To crochet Amigurumi, you have to make your stitches tight, to prevent the stuffing from showing.  Your stitches will stretch a little as you stuff your piece.   Using larger hooks means larger stitches which may allow the stuffing to show.
Also, you would be getting away from the smaller classic amis if your toys were much larger than 10 inches tall.

If your button eyes seem crooked, be sure they are sewn on the same row of the crocheted head.  After stuffing, you can work the piece to shape it to help the eyes seem better placed.

You can sew the buttons to a bit of felt just larger than the button and stitch this compound eye to the head after stuffing.

Depending on the button, it is sometimes hard to sew on a completed head.

Safety eyes are available under "supplies" on Etsy.  I appreciate the website and the selection of safety eyes sold by Suncatcher Eyes.

Like any other craft, your amis will improve with practice.

Best Wishes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adorablykawaii
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012 05:42:34 PM »

You should stuff first and then sew on the buttons from the inside or outside. If you're still having trouble, you could use pins to mark around it.

I get safety eyes from www.crscraft.com - better prices than what you can find on Etsy.

Amigurumi can be made however you want. Smiley I've also used an I hook before. I like to double yarn or use bulky yarn though to save some time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amigurumi, patterns, and more at my blog: http://www.adorablykawaii.blogspot.com/

Suggest new amigurumi designs on my website: http://adorablykawaii.com/
chpetunia
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012 03:49:21 PM »

It is interesting to me that you want to use larger and larger crochet hooks for your amigurumi.  For me, much of the cute of ami is in the diminutive size and close, even stitches of single crochet.

I prefer hook C or D with worsted weight yarn.

I have also used crochet cotton to achieve smaller amigurumi.

In my research, 10" is the max size for amigurumi. 

Check out      http://www.suncatchereyes.net/      for safety eyes.   I am very pleased with their site, selection, and products.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
adorablykawaii
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012 10:52:53 PM »

I'm curious about your research...?

I've been following amigurumi for many years and I've never read that 10" is the max size.
Amigurumi has changed over the past 10 years.
They're made in any style, size, and proportions now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amigurumi, patterns, and more at my blog: http://www.adorablykawaii.blogspot.com/

Suggest new amigurumi designs on my website: http://adorablykawaii.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Working with the New Basics Panel
How to Draw Gemma Arterton from Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters
How to Draw Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach
How to Draw Harry Potter
How to Draw Santa Claus from Rise of The Guardians
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...