A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Peanut Brittle  (Read 908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 21, 2011 11:53:36 AM »

One of my favorite things about Christmas is homemade candies. Today, I'm making peanut brittle. The first batch turned out...shall we say a bit smokey? If I'd waited until my candy thermometer read 300 degrees like the recipe suggested, my candy would have been black. So the birds got a Christmas treat. They'll love the peanuts!

Peanut Brittle

1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup water
    1 cup peanuts
    2 tablespoons butter, softened
    1teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

Spray a large cookie sheet with non stick spray. Set aside.
    In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts.
    Stirring occasionally, watch the syrup. When it turns a caramel color, it's ready for the next step. You can also test the mixture occasionally, by using a metal spoon. Dip it into the syrup, and pull out and watch how it drips off the spoon. You want it to drip slowly. But the color is the key.
    Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter , vanilla, and baking soda; pour at once onto cookie sheet.Push it around with the metal spoon. Then let cool. Snap into small pieces.

If I had just watched the color, and trusted my instincts, the first batch would not have turned out smokey flavored. You'll smell the sugar begin to burn if the color gets too dark. So this is not the time to get on Pinterest!
Now, back to my candy making.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011 05:44:22 PM »

Oh! Thanks for the recipie! I've been wanting to try more candy making since last year when I finally conquored my fear of carmel making, and I do have a certain someone that's been begging me to make him peanut brittle since he found out I cook.

It comes out of the pan ok with just non-stick spray? I'm living with my mom right now and she likes everything to be cleaned immediately (I don't know why soaking pans bother her so much) so she'd kill me if I ended up with peanut brittle peices cemented to her cookie sheet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011 08:03:39 PM »

Oh! Thanks for the recipie! I've been wanting to try more candy making since last year when I finally conquored my fear of carmel making, and I do have a certain someone that's been begging me to make him peanut brittle since he found out I cook.

It comes out of the pan ok with just non-stick spray? I'm living with my mom right now and she likes everything to be cleaned immediately (I don't know why soaking pans bother her so much) so she'd kill me if I ended up with peanut brittle peices cemented to her cookie sheet.

Mine came out very cleanly. No stickage here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011 10:37:22 PM »

Cool, then I shal be printing out this recipie and trying it at some point, hopefully soon  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Neon Cat Eye Look from the Chanel 2014 Runway Show
Celebrity Makeup Secrets Revealed
How to Make an Avocado Facial Mask
How to Create the Perfect Cat Eye
Makeup Expiration Dates You Need Not Ignore
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...