A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ho-ho-holiday box tutorial  (Read 1255 times)
Tags for this thread: gift_box , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mouseatethekitty
« on: December 22, 2011 06:23:17 PM »

I hate, HATE,  H-A-T-E using wrapping paper. It always just ends up in a giant trashbag out on our curb when we exchange gifts. This year I tried to use some scrap paper I had laying around from school projects to use for wrapping instead. I came up with little holiday themed pillow boxes and thought you might enjoy a tutorial!

Okay, here are the supplies you need:
9.5in x 12.5in Red paper (a piece of poster board or a piece of scrapbooking paper in the same proportions will both work, I used some Neenah paper I cut down for this project)
2in x 17 1/2 in Black Strip (I used a thin scrap of poster board
3in x 3in Gold Square (You can also use a yellow paper or paper covered in gold glitter if you don't have any gold paper on hand. Or silver if you prefer!)
An exacto knife or scissors
An embroidery hoop or large bowl to use as a 'stencil'
rubber cement or double sided tape
ruler
pencil
bone fold (helpful but not necessary)

1. Take your red paper and fold it in half hamburger style leaving a small 'flap' on one side.
2. The small side should be 6 inches and the large side should be about 6.5 inches
3. (optional) Mark where the flap is so you don't get confused later. I personally mess the next couple of steps up everyonce and a while because I almost always forget about folding it. If you forget you can always save the paper and make a nice Santa Christmas card?

4. I use an embroidery hoop and place it near the edge of the paper so I have a round end versus a straight one, this can be seen in picture 5
5. I trace the other side of the hoop connecting the points on the first line I drew
6. This image just illustrates better what I mean you should have a concave almond shape just underneath the flap on the 6 inch side of the paper
7. Cut the paper so you have a round shaped edge

REPEAT STEPS 4-7 ON THE LEFT SIDE

8. When you have both sides cut out fold the flap inwards, use a bone fold or dull edge of a butter knife to get a nice flat fold
9. Use rubber cement or double sided stick tape on the fold
10. If you are using rubber cement paste more to the opposite side where the fold will meet let the glue dry
11. Fold the flap inwards and press the edge and the fold together

12. Use a bone fold or the dull side of an exacto knife to 'trace' the inside line. This simply breaks the fibers in the paper so it's easier to fold the box and gives it look a bit more of a clean edge
13. I find it helpful to bend the paper along the line in both directions to make it easier to fold the box together
14. fold the 'flap' with the black edge inward then the other flap. Then slide your small gift into the box
15. Repeat on the left side, Your box should look like this! Verrrrrrry nice huh? You got through the hardest part Smiley

I don't want to scare you but this part involves some intense (not really) measuring, ehhhh. NUMBERS WHATTTTT? I KNOW RIGHT?? If you are anything like me you are probably grinding your teeth in frustration. If you followed my measurements exactly then you can just trace a pack of post-it notes

16. You need a strip of black paper 2 inches by 17 1/2 inches and a square 3 by 3 inch gold paper or something in proportion to it. Please don't ask me an complicated math questions about proportions I can only half or double it. I'm an art student. My brain can't handle complicated things like math, organizing and electricity. It looks like magic to me
17. Around the gold paper you should draw a grid it should be 1/2 inch sides so the makes the inner square uhhhhhhhhhhh 2 inches, phew!
18. Finish the Santa belt loop by using an exacto knife because scissors are the devil and will ruin everything you love it gives you a straighter edge and is easier to cut with and cut two vertical lines parallel to each other that slightly extend over the intersecting lines.
19. Weave your black strip through if it doesn't fit just carefully cut your santa belt loops a little bit wider
20. Use tape or rubber cement to secure your Santa belt to your Red pillow box and give yourself a pat on the back you are all finished!

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011 06:25:20 AM by mouseatethekitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011 12:34:30 AM »

Thank you for that tutorial, very useful. And I like the boxes.

On a different note, I guess poster board is a sturdy card not, as I first surmised, mounting board!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011 10:56:19 PM »

Very cute idea - and graphically has a big impact.  Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cassandra Clare at a Bryant Park Event in New York
Author James Bach: Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar
Author Philippa Gregory on Future Books
Actress Melissa Gilbert Talks About Prairie Tale
Author George Taber Talks About His Personal Life
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...