A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Folkwear 222 - Vintage Vests  (Read 1361 times)
Tags for this thread: waistcoat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silverstah
« on: December 22, 2011 11:06:06 AM »

My Husband's Christmas present, complete!

My husband is a ballroom dance instructor - I call him my very own personal Patrick Swayze. Smiley  He has to wear slacks, shirt, and tie to work every night - and this fall he found a vest at Goodwill that he likes to throw in for a change every once in a while.  For Christmas, he asked for another vest.  I TRIED to be lazy and just buy him one - but all the vests I found were cheap (polyester, mass produced monstrosities) and expensive ($85 for a plain black polyester vest?  Weak).  So i broke down and made him one.

The striped fabric was a scrap of really lush suit-weight wool, black with grey/silver pinstripes.  The lining and back are a high-quality polyester lining.  Buttons from Hancock's - I had wanted to use pewter buttons, but didn't think about it in time to order any.  We can always switch them out later, if he wants me to. 

Although I usually draft my patterns, I ended up using a commercial pattern for this - I didn't have time to draft something nice, and all I have is his chest measurement, so I needed something that worked off of standard sizing.  Enter Folkwear 222 - Vintage Vests.

Pattern Description: From Folkwear: "Victorian gentlemen at the end of the 1800s needed a vest or waistcoat to be considered well-dressed, and smart Victorian women often paired vests with walking skirts for street wear. Our vests offer a variety of stylings, including collarless V-neck, bias-cut vest with shawl collar, and short front-darted style. Traditional bow tie, with instructions for tying, is also included."

Pattern Sizing:Misses 6-16; Men's 36-44.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? I made view B - the men's bias-cut vest. It looked just like the pattern envelope photo.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes! Although I've made a number of Renaissance doublets, this is my first attempt at a Victorian style vest. I had never done welt pockets before - and could not wrap my brain around how the geometry worked. I followed the pattern instructions meticulously, step by step, working on faith that they would work - and they did! All instructions were clear and well written, accompanied by line drawings when necessary.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I loved working with this pattern. It went together beautifully - there were no grading issues, all the pieces matched up nicely, and the instructions were clear and simple to follow.

Fabric Used: Suitweight wool, polyester back/lining

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes! I have a feeling that my husband will be wanting a few more vests...

Conclusion: Overall, this is an excellent pattern. The instructions are clear, the sizing is accurate, and I was able to create a beautiful finished product with little fuss. As with all patterns, it may be necessary to tweak the sizing to fit the wearer. The key to creating a finely tailored garment is, of course, pressing - since the fashion fabric is a soft wool, I made lots of use of my steam iron and tailor's clapper to press all the seams into submission. There are a lot of little pieces and curved pieces in the collar, and it's a bit tedious to clip and press all of those pieces - but it's worth it in the end! Don't scrimp on the pressing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://feelingsheepish.etsy.com - Hand painted and dyed rovings for spinning
http://www.silverstah.com - Historical and Fantasy Clothing
http://silverstah.blogspot.com - Law school, sewing, married life, and general gabbing about life
Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011 11:21:30 AM »

Superb!  It looks great on the manniquin & I'm sure it will be even better on the hubby.  Excellent work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendiek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011 11:28:07 AM »

Beautiful! Your husband will look so handsome in this vest!

I love the stripes of this vest and I think the welt pockets make the vest look sophisticated! I also like the buttons you used.

Good job!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silverstah
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011 01:59:32 PM »

Thanks, guys!  I sure hope he likes it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://feelingsheepish.etsy.com - Hand painted and dyed rovings for spinning
http://www.silverstah.com - Historical and Fantasy Clothing
http://silverstah.blogspot.com - Law school, sewing, married life, and general gabbing about life
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011 03:41:22 PM »

Wow, that is sharp!  I love all the buttons.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Circlesofstone
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011 08:45:58 AM »

Wow, lucky husband! You did an excellent job. Thanks for the detailed review of the pattern too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Your Own Pirate Hat
How to Make Origami Stem
How to Create Origami Rose
How to Create an Origami Frog
How to Create Origami Boxes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...