A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered Altoid Tin [Pic Heavy] :3  (Read 3803 times)
Tags for this thread: mixed_media , beads , scrapbook , turtle , spork , frog , crown , altered_altoids_tin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazyalien8

Neverending sculptor.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2011 10:00:50 PM »

Okey dokey. I had some extra time before Christmas and popped out an altered altoid tin diorama for my boyfriend. He's been really awesome to me this year, so it was time to just make something special for him.

It's tiny, but full. For size reference, there's a soda pop tab right next to the monster's thigh.

The monster is carrying a spork, which is a utensil he loves - and he uses the name in most of his online personas. The sign in the background is of Magic the Gathering - a huge hobby and personal love that he's had for years. The metal bit holding it up is from a special dinner we had together with his mom. It was stuck in the steak he was eating to tell him out it was cooked (medium rare). Apparently, my memory is horrible and it was holding the bacon wrapped around the steak medallion in place. I'm totally weird, and stole it for art uses later.

The necklace on the monster represents a silver pendant that he gave me six years ago this New Year's. It was a necklace his father gave him when he was younger. I wear the necklace everyday, and it's for him to be with me every time we're apart. Which is most of the time, because we've been in a cross country long distance relationship the entire time we've known each other.

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/14759610480/12/tumblr_lwjlhyWgFf1r19nf7
You can barely tell is an altoid tin! It's supposed to be shaped like a turtle shell. Later in the post, there's some pictures showing the backside.

Mixed media frenzy ahead! I attached the base to the tin and some preshaped aluminum foil to the back of the tin with a hot glue gun. Then, a layer of paper clay was added to covered all the crevices from the foil. After, I covered the entire thing with strips of paper dipped in a glue mixture so it would be all the same texture. And finally, it was painted with acrylic paint.

Here's a detailed image of the wee books I made from cardboard and scrapbook paper. Their titles left to right:  I. Montoya, Code 4 Apes, #000000, Killer Dice. All of them are references to shirts from his thinkgeek wishlist. They are: Code Monkey, The Dice Are Trying to Kill Me, #000000 (in black on a black shirt) and Hello My Name is Inigo Montoya - in one of those hello my name is stickers. I couldn't buy them for him, so I used them as inspiration.

The back of the tin! Not a lot going on here, just a tag and a some extra decorative buttons. The shell is smooth, I couldn't figure out a good way to add the hexagon shell patterned. One day, turtle! Your secrets will be mine to use for aaaarts.

Here's a the altered tin next to some sketches. Though it would be cute to have them side by side. The completed object always looks so cool hanging out near the initial 2D idea. You can also see some design ideas that didn't make it in the final cut - like the spork tiki crown. It turned into a normal crown in the end. Maybe an idea for the future!

He loves turtles and I love frogs passionately, and they represent the two of us. The turtle was a wee silver pendant and the frog a plastic whimsy I received in a swap.

And this one holds a semi good picture of the dice the monster is holding. He's a RPGer and there were super appropriate to include in the tin. The heart on top is just me being silly sweet.

A small detailed shot of the base - it was too plain, so beads and things were attached to make the piece more interesting.
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/14759610480/6/tumblr_lwjlhyWgFf1r19nf7

A close up of the tag. Instead of signing like an art piece, I decided to make it more personalized for him.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwjlhyWgFf1r19nf7o6_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1325821192&Signature=URZXn3nms%2BFTJ2ZYL2jm%2BigVeR4%3D

These last two images are some WIPs. This one includes some more brainstorm sketches and the wire/foil armature for the monster.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvmjplKKem1r19nf7o1_500.jpg

This last picture is a WIP of the monster hanging out on my keyboard. These were taken for my tumblr, but I thought they would be a good addition here.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvmui2oe091r19nf7o1_500.jpg

Hope that wasn't too much reading! And I appreciate it if you made it through everything. I can't wait until Christmas now! Questions/comments/mudslinging, all are welcome!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014 02:49:44 PM by kittykill - Reason: links for images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011 10:05:56 PM »

Oh so cool!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
crazyalien8

Neverending sculptor.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011 10:16:32 PM »

Oh so cool!!!
Haha, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simplyfussfree
yay, wists!

I'm the dumb looking one on the right.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011 10:53:48 PM »

Woah! That's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011 11:18:30 PM »

This is amazing!  Cheesy  I love how personalized it is and how much thought you put into each element!  What a special gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazyalien8

Neverending sculptor.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011 11:49:47 PM »

This is amazing!  Cheesy  I love how personalized it is and how much thought you put into each element!  What a special gift!

Aww, thanks Rlynn! Last year, he gave me a present that made me cry - this year, I'm trying to do the same.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011 12:10:10 AM »

That is an amazing gift! I love all the detail and thought you put into it. I am sure that your boyfriend will love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011 01:49:46 AM »

It's fabulous! So many little details and personal touches, and I love the little guy. He's going to love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011 05:21:55 AM »

That is incredibly beautiful -- and thoughtful! And I totally can't believe it started out as an Altoid tin! Seriously awesome work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs Shak
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011 08:05:40 AM »

Fabulous! :this rocks!:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold a T-Shirt in Under 10 Seconds
How To Rock A Jumpsuit Or Romper - No Matter What Your Body Type
Easy Ways to Play Up Your Shape
FIRST LOOK: Dolores Cortes - Miami Swim Spring/Summer 2015
Priceless Advice From Stylist Kate Young That Will Cost You Almost Nothing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...