A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do YOU make patterns?  (Read 1725 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

simplyshereena
♏The Confused One♏

What?

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2011 08:23:20 PM »

I have recently been enjoying the world of crochet (specifically amigurumi), and it really inspired me to dive into the process of pattern making.

With the research I have acquired, I think I have some confidence under my belt, but not enough to really do it. xD

I am interested, does anyone have suggestions or useful information they would like to share about the process of pattern making for an amigurumi? I would love to hear any input at all. c:

Thanks for reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY WEBSITE
☯Loves ATCs!
PLEASE "LIKE" MY FACEBOOK PAGE!
☯Partaking Swaps:
●ONGOING ATC SWAP : JANUARY
Duenda
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011 03:38:33 PM »

Start with some pattern you've got and try changing things, see how increasing and decreasing change the outcome.
Write down everything you make. When I started making my own amigurumis, I never wrote down the steps I took, and then I couldn't remember how to crochet them again.
Don't be afraid of making something hideous, if you don't like what you have crocheted, undo some stitches and try again.
Use cheap and unwanted yarn for your pattern-projects, so you don't mind if it gets damaged or you've got to throw it away.
Mostly is trial and error until you get accustomed, don't be afraid and keep crocheting Smiley
Hope this is useful to you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chpetunia
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012 12:25:17 PM »

Look over your collection of patterns and put parts from one with pieces from another.  This isn't quite designing from scratch, but may be a way to get you thinking along the lines of design.

Find a picture or make a sketch of your idea.  Look at the proportions and shaping with a critical eye.  Work on paper the approx size each part will be to stay in proportion to the others. 

Refer to the work of others to help with a particular point of your design.  You do not have to re-invent everything.

Best Wishes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hookinmouthcrochet
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012 10:29:24 AM »

Once you get the basics down for shaping circles, legs, and things like that. Just practice making things bigger and smaller. Writing it down might help for some people, but I have found that it kind of hinders my ability to "flow" with the crochet. Try increasing the circumference to 24 st instead of 18 or vice versa, and when you start off you can always try using a pattern you love and changing small details to make it your own. That is a great way to get your feet wet. Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To look at a lot more of my stuff check out my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/hookinmouthcrochet87!
pinkcatflower
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012 04:16:23 PM »

I found this page:  It is a series, so do check out part 2,3 etc.  They are linked at the bottom of the page.  It looks like it has some useful tips!
http://abigailscraftshowto.com/2010/05/how-to-design-an-amigurumi/
I have yet to use their instructions but they are a nice place to start I think!

Of course, trial and error is good too, haha.  That's how I designed my first amigurumi element (big old ears- you can see it here:  http://makingitwell.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/chihuahua-amigurumi.html)

For incorporating more complex elements:
This topic has some good advice:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=371828.0

And one more link for ya!
http://www.freshstitches.com/shaping-amigurumi-crochet-design/

I haven't actually delved into much pattern making and complex design yet but I'm planning to use these links when I do!  Hope they help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
simplyshereena
♏The Confused One♏

What?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012 12:21:26 PM »

Thanks so much everyone! I have slowly been developing my crocheting skills (it is very addicting), and in the near future I hope to start making a pattern! Hope to have some people test it out. ^^

Hope other craftsters find this topic helpful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY WEBSITE
☯Loves ATCs!
PLEASE "LIKE" MY FACEBOOK PAGE!
☯Partaking Swaps:
●ONGOING ATC SWAP : JANUARY
Celestial_star03
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012 02:49:45 AM »

Write yourself tons of notes I just wrote a few patterns in shorthand and even I am confused at what I did Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knuxchan
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012 11:00:12 AM »

Wow, you guys make this sound so easy! How long did it take you guys to make your first pattern? Even after you've made a few patterns and gotten the feel of things, does it still usually take a very long time to make an amigurumi pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Great Tribute Videos
10 Tips for Better Home Videos
Moviemaking Techniques - 180 Degree Rule
How to Create Lighting Basics
How to Buy a Digital Video Camera
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...