A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Poodle Mug Rug!  (Read 2943 times)
Tags for this thread: mug_rug , poodle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyMamaBee
Dreaming Bigger than my Ability!

I'm A Craftster Best of 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 20, 2011 07:28:07 AM »

Well I got a new sewing machine for my birthday earlier this month that was going to allow me to start quilting... I never made a mug rug or anything quilt-ish ever before this project. I used scraps from a bag I bought online to create the background and some leftover white fabric I had to make the poodle and binding. It's a Christmas gift for my mom who has 2 poodles....

I figured it wasn't to bad for my very first attempt at all of it... even making binding! Next time I will definitely use 42" fabric so cut down on the seams in the binding.... with out further ado my mug rug....

And the back...

Next time I will try my hand at free hand quilting around the poodle.... I didn't have enough time to have a couple remakes this year... too much more to make!

Let me know what you think! I would love feedback to make it better next time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafty Blog!

Shop My Esty Shop! Check it out!

Swaps:
Embroidery Hoopla Rd 12(S/O 10/15): Awaiting Partners!
Mug Rug Swap Rd 6 (S/O 10/20): Sent in Questionnaire!
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011 07:58:41 AM »

Wowser!!!  You don't need to make it better - this is awesome - cannot really believe this is your first time at a project like this - You did a beautiful job, and your binding is perfect - don't worry about those seams in the binding - that is part of the charm of a homemade quilt (even a little mug rug) - Anyone who quilts would appreciate what a nice job you did!! 

I think your idea of free motion quilting the poodle would be great!  But it's so perfect and pretty the way you did this.  Wow, girl, you can really sew!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011 08:05:18 AM »

What a good job you did for a first quilt project!!  And, it will make such a personal gift for your Mom since she loves poodles!

My only suggestion would be to use an interface or heatbond to your light colored appliques if you do not want the background prints to show through...personally, I like it with your poodle because it makes it seem translucent and airy!

I really can't see the seams of your binding...are you joining them diagonally?  I agree that seams make the item more handmade and give the quilted items charm!

Again, awesome and hope to see more of your projects!!

Love the color combos
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jcorn

Don't bring your crazy here. We're all stocked up.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011 08:16:20 AM »

What an awesome first project!  You have done a great job, and I for one can't wait to see what you achieve with more practice - holy cow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Boycott haters.

http://www.wists.com/jcorn - my wist-y ideas
CraftyMamaBee

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011 08:27:16 AM »

Thanks everyone!

I did use heat-n-bond for the poddle but next time I'll try the interfacing. I like the see through but would also like it to maybe stand out more! I just found out that the store is sending me two more bags of scraps!!!! So in the new year I should have quite a few more rugs to come!

I did the binding straight across. I have Joann coupons to use this week though and I am going to see if I can get a binding ruler from them... that way I can do the diagonal cuts better! I'm a lefty and have a real hard time making straight lines! ha ha

And I used this book called The Practical Guide to Patchwork to figure out how to do binding. I had a lot of quilts magazines but they all seemed to think we all know how to cut it and do it! Ha ha and now I do!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps:
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011 08:45:51 AM »

I am a lefty as well and it does take some practice...you basically just need a 45 degree angle mark on a ruler...have you considered maybe making a "fake" binding on mug rugs?

Basically, all you do is make the back bigger, fold it to the front twice and stitch...I do this when I want a fast project or if I am making Quilt for Kids...

YAY for scraps...you are going to be addicted to making these and other small quilt projects!  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMamaBee

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011 08:56:16 AM »

I am a lefty as well and it does take some practice...you basically just need a 45 degree angle mark on a ruler...have you considered maybe making a "fake" binding on mug rugs?

Basically, all you do is make the back bigger, fold it to the front twice and stitch...I do this when I want a fast project or if I am making Quilt for Kids...

YAY for scraps...you are going to be addicted to making these and other small quilt projects!  Have fun!

Fake binding you say?! I think I would find that much easier! I am going to make another one tomorrrow and will be trying out that method!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps:
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011 09:10:34 AM »

I used something like this:

http://www.quiltmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/selfbinding-quilt-lesson2.pdf

Basically, when you quilt, it "shrinks" the backing fabric a bit, so be sure to cut a bit larger, quilt, and then cut off what you need--1 inch or so...fold it over, pin, and stitch!  If you are not a super straight stitcher,use the dang zig zag...or both! Cheesy

This one seems a bit more complicated...

http://highroadquilter.blogspot.com/2010/09/tutorial-how-to-fold-over-binding.html
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011 09:12:22 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMamaBee

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011 09:44:53 AM »

I used something like this:

http://www.quiltmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/selfbinding-quilt-lesson2.pdf

Basically, when you quilt, it "shrinks" the backing fabric a bit, so be sure to cut a bit larger, quilt, and then cut off what you need--1 inch or so...fold it over, pin, and stitch!  If you are not a super straight stitcher,use the dang zig zag...or both! Cheesy

This one seems a bit more complicated...

http://highroadquilter.blogspot.com/2010/09/tutorial-how-to-fold-over-binding.html

Thank you so much! I am going to try my hand at that tomorrrow! I'm thinking a goldfish in a bowl mug rug! Of course out of scraps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps:
Niinii
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012 01:52:33 PM »

I am just now starting to get the hang of binding. I have a few specialty feet but those will take lots of practice. There are real good bias tape makers that are pretty cheap that I find cuts down the frustration of binding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madness is next to greatness!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find a Jewelry Making Class
How to Choose Jewelry Making Supplies
How to Choose Jewelry Making Tools
How to Become a Professional Jewelry Maker
How to Make Teardrop Chandelier Earrings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...