A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: persoalizing a BP kit & stethoscope ideas?  (Read 1697 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarah-beth
« on: December 18, 2011 08:02:08 AM »

For christmas my grandmother got me a bp kit with matching stethoscope  (a purple littman classic II)

i want to do something crafty with them to mark them as mine (my last stethoscope got stolen by a doctor who thought it was hers.)

I'm thinking I could embroider an anatomical heart on the bag but as far as the cuff and sthoscope idk what i should do. any one have any ideas, links to tutorials etc to help me out??

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011 08:02:40 AM by sarah-beth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soldier Medic "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011 10:07:40 AM »

Well, for the cuff, could you paint on it? Maybe you could do a stencil of the anatomical heart that you plan on embroidering on the bag? One tip that will help you have nice lines on the stencil is to find a paint color that closely matches the fabric color and do your first paint layer in that color. That way when you use the paint color you want, it won't bleed under your stencil and have messy edges.
I'm not really sure about the stethoscope 'cause I don't know if anything would mess up how it works? But maybe wrapping some electrical wire tape in a pretty spiral along a portion of the long part? Or adding a charm that represents you on the ear pieces portion?
In any case, it is a really pretty set and I hope no ones accidentally yoinks them from you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011 10:49:30 AM »

You could make a fabric cover like this http://www.etsy.com/listing/76678313/pansy-stethoscope-cover?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags&ga_search_query=stethoscope+covers&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

That way EVERYONE would know it was yours Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011 07:37:23 AM »

If you have an engraving tool, you can engrave your name or initials on the metal portion of the earpieces.  I have seen people engrave the bell under the plastic piece too, so that if a dispute comes up, you can remove the ring and plastic and voila, there is your name.  That is the most permanent solution.  I don't like to add a lot of stuff to my stethoscope purely because of the cleaning aspect of it.  If you use the antimicrobial cleaners at work, like I do, it is pretty harsh on any applied crafts.  I used to have my name on beads wirewrapped to the earpieces.  It was cleanable, but the wire broke after use.

But you could still do a beaded name tag, and use tigertail and crimp beads.  Or make a tag with varnished shrink plastic, polymer clay, or something with your name embedded in resin, engraved or embossed metal.  It may be a bit of trial and error over time to see what can withstand you cleaning it.  I used to see the fabric cosies, but really, considering what it can be exposed to, you really need to keep in mind cleaning it frequently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
sarah-beth
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011 11:35:08 AM »

Thanks for the ideas everyone! As far as fabric covers, we stay away from them in my clinic because of JCAHO (book jcaho)  I think I will see about stenciling the bad. I have a book of pre made stencils so that could make it even easier. I already mod-podged a ring of glitter on the top of the rubber where it meets the metal. hard to explain I will post a pic. I think it will hold up since that part doesn't move, plus I love glitter. I should be able to clean it since I put like 100 mod podge layers on it I think I will be able to use cave wipes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soldier Medic "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
sarah-beth
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011 09:02:09 PM »

so hot glue doesn't stick to the rubber the stethoscope is made out of. any ideas AS FAR AS GLUE? Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crabcake
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011 10:02:50 PM »

In one of my polymer clay books, the author uses QuickTite (in the Loctite glue family) quite a bit to bind findings to the clay.  Although between the slickish quality of the rubber and how much flexing it has to do, maybe a strong fabric glue might work for you...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarah-beth
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012 03:48:53 AM »

Good idea thank you Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012 08:11:29 AM »

Mod Podge makes a glue called Hard Coat (water resistant) - I believe that would work for you. You could decoupage part of the metal piece with something uniquely you, you something that can't be removed by anyone. Sucks that that dr. took your other one - I bet those aren't cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A NEW day, a NEW doll... another poppet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013 10:52:25 PM »

Just curious about what you ended up doing. I'll be buying me a set next month, and I may want to do something too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer break = swapping fun!

Kids Craft and Swap Round 7, squared!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Budget Your First Movie
How to Write Your First Movie
How to Make a Storyboard
How to Make a Music Video
How to Produce Videos on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...