A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gwendoline Christmas Fairy: pic OBESE  (Read 839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MiLady
« on: December 17, 2011 01:14:46 PM »

In the Tinkerbell films they claim that a fairy is born from the first laughter of a child, this one however was born from a desperate dream to live up to my mother's fantasies and realisations of Christmas. Going way back to my childhood I have vivid memories of Mandy, my mum's Christmas fairy. Mandy didn't ever live up at the top of the tree, a star took that role, Mandy had a far more important role in realising the magic of Christmas for my brother and I. Each morning we would wake to find her in a different area of our living/dining room (Christmas central!) and for many years we believed that at night she lived and would visit Santa, she would be ensuring, each day, that we were well behaved and then make her report overnight while we slept.

This year I moved out with my boyfriend and I wanted to make my own Mandy so that one day, when we have a family, the magic can live on. Mandy was purchased at a similar point in my mother and father's relationship. As is probably obvious, Gwendoline has been created from the free spirit amigurumi pattern found here: http://8480583730150166413-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/designbybethann/home/links/FreeSpiritAmigurumiDoll.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cp2hZTYsLBEYkeRf1ljwGuyfcdRs-8od3AR176Dn0RBe-xjmz7G0B3HdZ1YY4PWDiAdRx79Pl5lFi66ZNF91O1ukP5wShgIKc7-8Ne8Cfv9bUTXdxr1PaLlTcBvJZcxWAqPnqQHaa42cLPnSkUPnJhhwioGLSikYWa33rGZf66ZkkI4He5AiLZFNcUPn0YA2aCc0ywNc-VNUv39ryx8NfPZEFfd-R2ZeefaB3lHi0QK5CFyWSo%3D&attredirects=0
Although I have made some obvious changes. I crocheted her shoes as part of the pattern and in order to create the top half of her dress I crocheted in front loops only and then back loops. Her skirt is simply a row of sc followed by a series of 24ch loops and her tiara was made up as I went along. Once I had completed the crocheting I took her to my mother who then aided me in creating the finer details such as the chalk to her face, the bows on her shoes, the beading to her tiara, wings and top, her wings themselves and of course her beautiful wand.
Gwendoline cost me 1.27 to make, for the cost of the silver ribbon, beaded chain and the material for her wings. All other materials I had on hand and the wand was made from my mum's stash of papercrafting bits and a matchstick (the one we used to light the candle to seal the organza infact so no excess waste).
I hope you like her. I've had good feedback so far despite my boyfriend saying her name sounds like window cleaner (windolene). She's actually named after my nan's friend Gwen who is sadly no longer with us.

Apologies for the waffle, now for the pictures:
Detail on wings

The wings themselves, sealed organza

Just chillin' in the tree

Face detail

The wand!

Bow detail to shoes

In the whole tree, as I would have found Mandy some mornings as a child

Gwendoline and Mandy in my mum's tree
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
sakuracat23

Don't make me get the flying Monkeys!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011 10:55:12 PM »

very pretty! and that that pattern can be a pain sometimes. i love the idea of moving the fairy around every night. i heard someone on facebook mention a "elf on a shelf" kit that you can buy that does about the same thing. but i like this crafted version better.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Bob: The Cut That Flatters Everyone
How to Get Instant Super Shiny Hair
How to Style a Bouffant Ponytail
How to Get More Mileage Out of Your Highlights
This Is What Happens When You Stop Washing Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...