A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,773
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First post & a cute OWLY  (Read 1410 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 18, 2012 12:45:16 AM »

Hello crafters!
I've made this for my 5 month old. I'm terrified of the sewing machine so I've been sewing by hand.

Link to OWLY

Hopefully, joining the crafster's community I'll take the leap and get to work on a machine. Smiley

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012 09:15:09 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012 01:09:36 AM »

Very cute! As for the sewing machine: Go for it! I was afraid of mine for years, too. I finally bucked up and gave it a shot when I decided I wanted a box-pleated skirt to wear to a dinner but couldn't find one. (Leave it to me to come up with something outrageously complicated instead of trying a simple pattern first.) The trick is to go slowly and iron the garment after each step to press in hems and pleats, flatten seams, and keep everything nice and neat. It takes a little patience, but in the end, it's really a timesaver.

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012 01:50:20 AM »

coacnasie- You hand sewn that! OMG! Amazing! I love your owl. He's so cute. I love the colors and style. I can't wait to see what else you make.

Don't be afraid of sewing. It's fun when you get used to your machine. Do a simple pattern like a cute tote bag or pillow.

Redforkhippie- I laughed about your pleated skirt. The first time I took up sewing I just had to pick a complicated evening gown done all in taffeta and silk. Nothing says a challenge like that, lol. I think you have that beat with the pleated skirt. I have been sewing over twenty years. Pleats are evil! Cheesy Pillows are easy. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012 01:50:49 AM by lylacfey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.

Pins, Needles and Thread - how I wish I were dead.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012 09:38:43 AM »

Too cute! Great work on your seems  Cheesy

He really reminds me of a character from the web comic Hinges: http://hingescomic.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012 08:09:23 AM »

He is so cute! Very well sewn! I love the colors you used, the little pop of pink makes me smile. As for the sewing machine, it can definitely be scary at first. I would just play around with it before you do anything like an actual pattern. I loved just sewing a piece of computer paper (use it just like you would a piece of fabric, you could also just use scrap fabric). Just sew lines and curves and whatever until you get a little more comfortable.  Grin You'll be comfortable in no time. Like lylacfey  said, when you feel comfortable start out with simple stuff like pillows and work you're way up. You'll be amazing in no time! Cheesy

Every Tower
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012 02:34:08 PM »

He's really cute. You should definitely give the machine a go, but don't give up hand sewing completely! You just can't get something to look like this beautifuul little owl on a machine.

You can see my blog at everytower.blogspot.com.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012 11:44:24 PM »

this is really cute !.... and you shouldnt be afraid of a sewing machine . its not going to bite you . well i mean unless you stick your finger under the needle and it goes through your finger . lmao och!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012 09:38:26 AM »

This is just too cute! I love the overall shapes you used for the skull and the heart makes me smile. Smiley I have fallen in love with the stitch work, especially around the skull. Keep up the great work and like everyone else has said, don't be afraid of your sewing machine. Start with something simple until you get the hang of it. But keep up the great work sewing by hand as well!

pinterest: http://pinterest.com/jessiebrannan
deviantArt: zeivin.deviantart.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Cartoon Rabbit
How to Create a Cartoon Duck
How to Design a Cartoon Dinosaur
How to Design a Cartoon Giraffe
How to Design a Cartoon Panda
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...