A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Removing Color from Mystery Manmade Fiber Fur - HELP!  (Read 1701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 16, 2011 05:10:42 PM »

I have a very short nap faux fur in black that I would like to make brindle.  I had assumed I could just use a chlorine bleach pin and it would "stain" to a warm brown.  I was wrong.  It didn't change AT ALL.  I also tried a applying the RIT Color Remover with a cotton swab and a paint brush - nothing.  Finally I tried masking off part of it and spraying it with straight chlorine bleach.  If there is any difference it's so subtle as to not matter.  Any ideas, suggestion, advice would be soooo appreciated.

The idea is to have it look similar to the legs on the bigger dog in this picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feltingirl
fiber freakalisious chick

To live for wooly pleasures.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011 05:40:04 PM »

hi! so sorry to tell you  but becouse it is faux fur it wont bleach out no matter how hard you try, it is basicly plastic and will not bleach . HOWEVER  i have a suggestion if you get a felting needle and some faux or real fur { the color you want to acheive}and poke some in . make sure to spread the faux fibers apart to add new fibers.does that make sence? lmk how it turned out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rain is just wet sunshine
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011 08:33:17 AM »

hi! so sorry to tell you  but becouse it is faux fur it wont bleach out no matter how hard you try, it is basicly plastic and will not bleach . HOWEVER  i have a suggestion if you get a felting needle and some faux or real fur { the color you want to acheive}and poke some in . make sure to spread the faux fibers apart to add new fibers.does that make sence? lmk how it turned out

I was afraid that this was the case.  Thank you for the solution!  I have to decide how badly I want my dogs to have Christmas stockings that "match" their fur pattern.  Wink  I'll never finish in time for this year, sooo....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...