A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,472
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What kind of dyeing you do?  (Read 12595 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pookel
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009 05:00:00 PM »

I make (and sell) tie-dye. I've experimented with a variety of shibori techniques and vat dyes and discharges and so on, but basically tie-dye. I got into it by accident - bought a basic kit of supplies to make stuff for my tie-dye-loving kid, and then my SIL who sells sewn stuff at craft fairs asked if I could tiedye some onesies for her to sell, and it kind of snowballed from there. I dye just about everything - baby clothes, adult clothes, bags, scarves, silk, cotton. I haven't tried yarn yet, though, and I don't do wool because I'm allergic to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aehathor
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009 04:51:04 AM »

During the summer the kids and I do kool-aid dyeing, which they love. The rest of the year I dye naturally with onions, black walnuts and elderberries. This year I'd like to try Queen Anne's lace and marigolds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt; don't.
dammitall
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009 08:35:02 AM »

So far I've koolaid dyed my needlefelting wool--sure makes it vivid!  Today I've tried koolaid on reclaimed worsted wool trouser pieces, and that tones the colors down a bit with the over dyeing.

I really will have to investigate natural dyes.  We have loads of Queen Annes' Lace, pokeweed and other delights.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanjadesign
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010 03:11:28 AM »

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a fashion designed and have been dying silk and painting it for years . Now I'm interested in dying wool and will do some experimenting. I'm very curious about everything you people do here so i will take some time to read it. Happy to have found you Smiley
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010 12:19:20 AM by Tanjadesign » THIS ROCKS   Logged

2Dye4
2Dye4 Distinctive Tie Dye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010 09:52:43 AM »

Hi!

I'm a newbie too...First I want to say to TanyaDesign, beautiful dyeing and to raminthethicket, love your colors and the gradations of your wool and that's quite an informative article on formulating colors.

My line is, "I dye a little more everyday", referring to being in the "tie dye" business for about 14 years. I sell my wares at a local Farmer's Market and numerous Festivals May through October and online year round. I also love sharing the art of tie dye to groups. My website is a work in progress but if you want to know more please visit it at 2dye4.biz.

Glad to have found you here,
Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Someone will love it..."
twohills
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010 02:55:40 PM »

i've just gotten into the fabulous world of dyeing and i'm seriously addicted. right now i'm dyeing all kinds of wool roving for hand spinning. i use acid dyes and do pot dyeing and have dabbled in hand-painting (but i need a better set-up for it; the kitchen counter ain't cutting it!).

i've also recently gotten into tie dye, which i don't yet have any photos of but will be working on that shortly! i'm planning on practicing on some old t-shirts and skirts that need a little spicing up. i have dreads, too, so i'm sure i'll dye about a hundred thousand bandanas and hair wraps in the coming months. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://twohills.etsy.com - handspun yarn, knit, and crochet items & dreadlock accessories

http://twohillsdesigns.com/dreads/ - my portfolio of dread work
enils
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010 07:52:29 PM »

I too have just begun to play with dyeing and mostly dye wool roving using acid dyes. I have begun experimenting with hand painting and recently bought some silk hankies which I am soon planning on attempting. I have bought a fleece and after washing it I dyed it and am now planning on combining some of the colors (through hand carding). I also have a nice blend of merino and bamboo in my stash which is calling to me as my next project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Steve
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010 06:52:32 PM »

Hi everyone.  I do fiber reactive dying and batik.  I'm very novice at both, but enjoy myself.  I'm getting better at batik, but still have a lot to learn. 

While I play around with cotton shirts and such, I primarily dye heavy patches made from canvas, and heavy weave cotton martial arts gis.  I train in brazilian jiu jitsu (which is kind of like Judo, for those who aren't familiar) and we wear very heavy uniforms.  I don't like white, so I started playing around with procion fiber reactive dyes. 

Because there's a lot of contact and rolling around in jiu jitsu, fabric paints and such aren't as durable as using a resist to create a design.  And so, that's what led me to batik.

I'm looking for a community to bounce ideas off of and get help.  I've been muscling through learning pretty much all on my own and have made many mistakes as a result. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feltingirl
fiber freakalisious chick

To live for wooly pleasures.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011 05:50:57 PM »

i love love love to dye mohair!it takes up the dye beautifuly,i prefer acid dyes but natural dyes rule too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rain is just wet sunshine
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Raymond Antrobus Performs His Poem "Things That Look Like Love"
Rest in Pieces by Bess Lovejoy
Chemical Garden Trilogy - Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Oleander Girl by Chandra Divakaruni
The Demonolgist from Andrew Pyper
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...