A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sleeping Owl Cards and Recycled Paper Balls w/ Tutorial  (Read 1151 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2011 09:22:09 AM »

Hi Craftsters!

This year I dedicated my craft time to making handmade cards for my friends and family. After searching Google images for some owly inspiration, I bought some cardstock and after lots of tracing, cutting and glueing, my cards were finished!

The snowflakes on the front are done with a shiny silver pen, as is the greeting on the inside... "Happy Whoolidays!" Haha.

The paper balls were a random idea I came up with. I had used up all the wrapping paper and was left with a sheet of heavy brown paper, and had stumbled upon a cute little tutorial on the net, and I knew it would be perfect for my Mum's tree so I quickly got to work. Assembly on these puppies is slow, it takes about 1/2 an hour to do one so I still need to finish the last two.

I knew these would be perfect because last year, my Mum finally broke away from our collection of old, eclectic and battered tree ornaments and created an entirely new theme... very organic, woodsy, with browns, creams, and muted reds and golds. She wanted to incorporate a lot of natural materials in the decoration to create something more aesthetically pleasing and environmentally conscious. I hope she likes my recycled Christmas balls!

Here's the tutorial I used.

http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-make-3d-paper-ball-ornaments.html

I don't know if I just didn't read it properly, but I found it to be lacking information on the assembly, so here's what I did.

1. Print one page of 12 shapes for the small ball (baseball sized).

2. Cut out one shape, trace onto cardstock and use that one for tracing.

3. Trace a billion times. I did 6 balls... 6 x 12 pieces = 72 shapes. Ooh, look at my math skills!

4. Cut 'em out, and cut slits in each "petal", halfway through. I just cut enough for one ball and then assemble... otherwise my hand cramps up.  

5. ASSEMBLY. Start with one shape, and attach 5 more pieces, one to each "petal" of your first shape. Then link those 5 together at the sides.

6. Do the same with the remaining 6 pieces, so you have two half-spheres.

7. Link the two halves together. This is tricky.  You'll have to start by sticking one petal on one half to the join in two petals on the other half. It's hard to explain. Think of it this way: instead of lining up the two halves together evenly, you'll want to position it so that the petals are staggered. Otherwise it'll be impossible to link it all together.

8. Go around the join, carefully linking slits. It might take some wrestling to get it. I used heavy paper and didn't have any rips. Lightweight recycled plastic would work great as well! Once you get to the last petals, you'll find they are stuck inside the ball. Use a pencil or something to gently pry 'em out.

9. Once your ball is assembled, go around it flattening your petals out. I like to tuck the corner of the petals under other petals so no sharp bits poke out.

There! I hope that helps and I hope you like my Christmas crafts!

Happy Whoolidays!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011 09:23:34 AM by Schnoogles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
Little owl
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011 10:51:48 AM »

I love both!
The owl is very cute and you have cut it so sharp, I cannot see any place where the lines are not right. I`d love to make this one too ^_^

And the balls look very beautiful, love those as well Smiley
I remember my mother doing origami kusudama`s and also how much time it took to put them together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My tiny Etsy shop!
http://eerinvink.etsy.com
leslieyam
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011 02:24:02 PM »

I love the owl...so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My TTC blog with cartoons:
http://hanginthereforbaby.blogspot.com/
*Updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!
Taramor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011 06:32:14 AM »

It is a lovely card, and thanks for the tutorial. It looks great, but like it takes a lot of patience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
#MyModamobStyle: Featured Reader @NatyBaby
How To Wear A Blazer Like The Stars
New Jeans Change Color When Body Temperature Changes
Kate Middleton Goes Bold in Leopard Print
Spring Fashion With The WanderLust Girls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...