A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 238229 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KeenKitty
Accident free since...what time is it?

Because everyone loves a muppet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: June 17, 2006 03:26:58 PM »

I actually have a SEVERE allergy to sulfites and Sulfa srugs topically and orally.  If I use shampoo with it I break out in open sores and hives.

If I ingest it I also break out in hives and go into respitory arrest.

They may not cause cancer but they are NOT and I repeat NOT good for the body.

There are plenty of great soaps, shampoos and rinses that don't use SLS or sulfites of anykind.

Trust me I have tried all of them Smiley

As for washing dreads, my dad has dreads down to his butt and he uses water and applie cider vinegar to rinse them then clear water.

And people say how long and nice his look.  But then again he is Zimbawean...so his hair texture might be different.

My hair had dreads all through college but I shaved my head and gave it to my friend with cancer, every once and a while I get dread falls but my job wouldn;t allow full dreads with my hair it would be unruly, its already mock dreaded without my help!

~KK
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glittersniffer
OneOfTheWeirdo's!

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 17, 2006 07:13:59 PM »

Dreadlock swap going on right now ladies!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16741696.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us!: facebook.com/gscosmetics

^^^Colorful Happiness ^^^
mayerlove
« Reply #542 on: June 17, 2006 07:42:45 PM »

are they supposed to be light and airy and see-through?

How well did you back comb them? You gotta do it a lot. And they will be kinda light and airy if they're new, and wax-free. Wax kinda holds them togeather like glue.

Thankies! Smiley  I'm joining the swap too. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2006 10:14:34 AM »

Thats so neat that theres a dread swap going on, though i won't be joining, i'll watch it closely all the same.

I'm having some problems with my dreads. I've been waxing them once a week, and they stay really nice for a couple days, but then when i wash them, the ends unravel and become silky smooth. Some of the dreads in the back come completely undone. I wash them only once or twice a week, but they still keep coming undone Sad People have been talking about roots coming loose, and i have zero problems with that, its only the ends. I crocheted them, i waxed them, i backcomed... and nothing helps. Its so sad, so if anyone has any advice... i'd more than appreciate it. I am getting them maintained tomorrow, so i hope that helps.

and if we're still on the subject of phunky chemicals in shampoo... well for one, people are way too careful nowdays, and for two, look at the stuff you eat man. forget what you use externally, look at things like otc drugs and fast food. you're putting that inside you! i'd be way more worried about that stuff than small amounts of chemicals that make bubbles in soap and hurt when you get it in your eyes. just my thoughts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
Red Alibi

Change IS a Sound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2006 10:22:12 AM »

Why won't you join! WHY? Tongue

and further:
I wouldn't wax that often, wax is just to keep things together lightly, it doesn't really aid the dreadforming much at all.
I've also had the ends come undone after washing, sleeping even! I found that crocheting the ends then binding them helps that. After a while the ends knot and you can take off the string. You can look on dreadheadhq.com how to do it if I remember rightly...
And last but not least, how old are your dreads (sorry if I'm bad at keeping track)? that also helps with coming undone.. and maybe washing them that often in the beginning isn't the best of idea's (I know, sounds grose not washing a lot, but hair does self clean after a while.. just avoid getting your hair dirty)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the wallaby
Era of the Sea

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 19, 2006 11:33:44 AM »

I've had some bad swap experiences, so no more for me.

My dreads will be a month old tomorrow, so i guess they're still in the early stages. (aww, babies)

and now, baby pictures!

^ugly before picture. didn't even take my uniform off.

^fuzzy photo, i had had them for 2 weeks

^my 11 y/o cousin took this pic when i wasn't looking, but its one of my favs. same day as the above picture, also the first time using wax. They've since become really loose at the bottom.

I never thought of wrapping the bottoms! Thats a really good idea, i think i'll try it soon Smiley I only wash them when my scalp gets itchy (or after getting mass amounts of sand in them from the beach), but i should probably be less rough on my hair when i do wash. and i know they wont be perfect right away (or ever), but it would be nice to not have to redread after each washing >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
viri
« Reply #546 on: June 19, 2006 03:28:58 PM »

Nice dreadies... Smiley
wow what a school uniform. What did /do you study?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 19, 2006 04:38:25 PM »

I went to a military academy for highschool, and that picture was taken about 20 minutes after i graduated  Smiley Yeah, my last name is collector, on the nametag you can see it there. above is my rank (chief), and the cord is for band (i was the cymbal monkey). Plus a QBH (qualified boat handler, required for graduating) and my pretty art medal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
glittersniffer
OneOfTheWeirdo's!

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 19, 2006 05:44:22 PM »

Come and play with us in the Dreadlock Swap!!!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16741696.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us!: facebook.com/gscosmetics

^^^Colorful Happiness ^^^
Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: June 19, 2006 07:09:27 PM »

Wallaby:

Their looking mighty fine for 1 monthers if you ask me! Beautiful!!! You seem to have thick hair which is totally awesome for dreads! What you seem to be going through is pretty much normal for new dreads. The only way to stop the unravelling is to tie or rubber band the ends. I don't suggest rubber bands because they can rot, but if your only using them for about a month or two you should be fine. If you use them more often just keep replacing the old ones... trust me. The best thing you can do is wrap your ends with thread because it will never rot. If you use a thread in your hair color it will be barely visible. Here's how you do it:

1) Backcomb your tips till you can't anymore.

2) Take a small metal crochet hook and suck in all the fuzz from the tips the best you can.

3) Thread a needle with either embroidery thread or plain old sewing thread in your hair color. (Using a needle just makes things way easier).

4) Wrap your tips and you can even pass through your dread with the needle to secure it a little more. Wrap it real good and try to keep all the hairs in.

5) MAke a knot and voila!!!

Now it can take anywhere from 2 to 4 and sometimes even 5 or 6 months for your tips to harden, but the thread holding everything in place should speed things up. It only took about 2 months for my tips to harden. Once your tips harden you can take the threads out with a seam ripper.

Other things I would suggest would be to shampoo only once a week and use the wax less often. When you shampoo don't wash your dreads, wash your scalp. The soapy water your rinse off will also cleanse your dreads. You can make yourself a home-made locking accelorator (helps to speed up the locking process by adding texture to your hair and thus making it easier to knot up) by mixing approx. 2 to 3 tablespoons of sea salt with warm water and some lemon juice (make sure it's pure lemon juice with no sugars) in a spray bottle and spritz this on your locks now and then -  AVOID YOUR SCALP and adjust the mixture to suit your needs. Just don't use too much sea salt or lemon juice because it can severely dry out your locks. Now you can use the accelorator one week and the wax the next. Or even use the accelorator for a few weeks and then wax once a month or something.

Another thing to suggest would be to cover your dreads when you sleep. Either with a scarf, a tam, or nylon stockings. Just buy some panty hose and stick them on your head and shove your dreads up each leg. Sounds corny but it really helps to prevent untangling and loose hairs.

Just give it time and things will sort themselves out!!! They look wonderful regardless!!!  Grin Good luck and I hope you enjoy your knotty journey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rename a Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
How to Rename a Layer in Photoshop CS3
How to Resize a Selection in Paint.NET
How to Resize a Title in Title Designer in Premiere CS3
How to Resize the Stage in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...