A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 232128 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: October 06, 2008 07:21:10 PM »

Heh, thanks.

Yeah, I really kinda want mine small (mainly because, being in a health-care major, I'll get less flack from my teachers if they're obviously able to be pulled back and stuff. Not that big ones aren't, or whatever, but you know.)

So now I get to do them right after halloween! xD How exciting for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
outofthequestion
« Reply #1631 on: October 07, 2008 07:59:19 PM »

Gosh, so I was stupid.. Thought I couldn't have a psych career with dreads... combed them out... Then even stupider, bobbed my hair... And I was in Wally World yesterday... And this woman with gorgeous dreads was standing at the electronics counter (if that was someone here, then WOW, you have great dreads -- I resisted the urge to go up to you and talk about them -- I know it offends some). Anyway, so I really want dreads back. I told my husband I was going to put them back in. He said I should at least wait until my hair grows or they won't look right... But really, they don't look right at first anyway... Soooo.... What do you all think... Should I wait??? I knew I shouldn't bob my hair, cuz I'd want dreads again, but I did it.. UG... Whyyyyy, I don't know... I should have never combed them out... HUGE mistake. Having dreads was the one time in life I felt at home in my hair, you know... Anyway, so the question is should I really wait? Has anyone here dreaded with a bob? How much did it shrink up? I don't want to end up with only little tufts looking things. I need serious thoughts and personal experience opinions on this.

Also, I'd love to hear about anyone here with dreads who has a successful career. I finish with my bachelors in Psychology in June, and then I'm looking at starting my Masters program. Is this possible with dreads? I know there are some fields that are better than others with dreads, but is Psychology one of them?

Thanks in advance...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
outofthequestion
« Reply #1632 on: October 07, 2008 08:03:25 PM »

Thanks Milkweed.

I honestly had no idea how big they'd be (other than, um, big. xD), and I don't wanna totally screw up my life, you know?

Heh.

Elensule... Just a word of warning... They are BIG and FUZZY at first. You will look like you stuck your finger in a light socket (At least, I did). It is definitely something you have to be willing to not care what people think... Because, yeah... They are big and fuzzy at first. But in all honestly, I loved that stage. It is sort of like a "coming out" into the dread world. Smiley I hope you show us pics when you put them in! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: October 08, 2008 06:12:06 AM »

Thanks Milkweed.

I honestly had no idea how big they'd be (other than, um, big. xD), and I don't wanna totally screw up my life, you know?

Heh.

Elensule... Just a word of warning... They are BIG and FUZZY at first. You will look like you stuck your finger in a light socket (At least, I did). It is definitely something you have to be willing to not care what people think... Because, yeah... They are big and fuzzy at first. But in all honestly, I loved that stage. It is sort of like a "coming out" into the dread world. Smiley I hope you show us pics when you put them in! Good luck!

Oh yeah, I am quite aware I'll look floofy. xD However, that's really nothing new, except that they'll be ORGANIZED floof! Because right now if I brush my hair and it's not SOPPING wet, that's what it does. xD So... yeah. And I really don't care what people think (I wear neon colors and a bright velvet cloak, too, so it doesn't bother me what people think. Heh.)

I will certainly post pics, as soon as I do it! Probably in the first week or so of November, since my play is done Halloween.

YAY for dreads!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
outofthequestion
« Reply #1634 on: October 08, 2008 06:33:06 AM »

can't wait to see, Elensule!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

milkweed*
Once...there was this kid who...

easy peasy pumkin peasy pumkin pie motherf*ckers

View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: October 08, 2008 09:14:45 AM »

outofthequestion, starting your dreads now would be fine i think, they will shrink up but that will be after a while so your hair will be longer by the time they are noticeably shorter.
Plus, when you start your dreads shorter they end up locking up quicker because there isnt that much hair you know.
My first set i started my dreads on realllly long hair and it took forever for them to be good-looking, but my second set started on short hair and they locked up much quicker it seems like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh, look at him!" "He's checking out his hair!" "Get off our bus you filthy man." *knock* "'Ello Baybee!"

http://myspace.com/gwuncey
"A TRUE friend stabs you in the front"
outofthequestion
« Reply #1636 on: October 08, 2008 04:31:35 PM »

that makes sense, and is very encouraging, milkweed. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

killerdreads92
« Reply #1637 on: October 11, 2008 10:46:11 AM »

I have a bunch of loose hairs... is crotcheing (don't think thats spelled right) the best method to get all the loose hairs into the nearest dread? or are there other method anyone would like to share with me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gluegunqueen
« Reply #1638 on: October 20, 2008 11:56:43 AM »

I have wanted dreadlocks for years.  I keep saying "Maybe next year, because I need my hair such a way for whatever reason".  Usually (and currently) the reason is that I work as a historical interpreter and have to dress as though it is 1915 or earlier in some cases.  This means not too short  Sad  not dyed funky colours  Embarrassed  and no dreads  Cry .  Maybe when I begin working more in management/ conservation and less in the playing dress up aspect I can think about it again.  *yay*

I have maybe a weird question that was probably already addressed somewhere in the 164 pages: can you cut your dreads and maintain them at a certain length.  I have very thick hair and it gets very heavy when it is long.  Also I think I would look good with shorter dreads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
outofthequestion
« Reply #1639 on: October 20, 2008 06:15:14 PM »

I know what you mean, gluegunqueen. I am getting ready to put dreads back in. I just have to stop worrying about career things. My birthday is coming up, and I am going to be a dreadhead again! Smiley

As for your question, yes, you can cut dreads. I've seen several people online who have cut their dreads. Smiley

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author William Shatner
Andrew Clements Reveals Who He Admires Most
Sidney Kirkpatrick -- Revealed!
Jeff Rotter Talks About The Unknown Knowns
Debra Frasier Talks About A Fabulous Fair Alphabet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...