A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 228031 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heathurr
rah, rah replica!

my god, she looked just like me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1360 on: November 19, 2007 05:38:22 PM »

I'm thinking about dreading my hair, but I usually keep it so short that I don't know if I have the patience to let it grow enough to start.  You guys think that my hair's about long enough that it won't look horrible right now? These are pretty recent pictures:

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v152/157/67/1402320041/n1402320041_30215755_9736.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v152/157/67/1402320041/n1402320041_30215756_9998.jpg

It's about 3 inches long at the shortest part.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 07:02:30 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MCRguitarMCR
on the brink of finding commotion

I love My Chemical Romance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1361 on: November 19, 2007 05:57:06 PM »

omg. rats.... Those things creep me out... Once a girl kept shoving one in my face and I told her to get it away from me and then she put it on me and I was sooo mad at her.

And, I dont think it would look horrible if you started them now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1362 on: November 19, 2007 08:00:53 PM »

The thing is that you lose A LOT of length when you start your dreads because the backcombing process pushes all of the hair back towards the scalp. My hair was past my shoulders when I started them and they shrunk up so much, some of them couldn't be put behind my ears. I'm a little worried that your hair would become so short and you wouldn't like it at all and might have to shave your head. You could try another method though...I've heard of just twisting them or making braids. I have no idea how well these methods work though. To date, backcombing has been the overall preferred way that I have heard about.
Best wishes to you, your cute ratty friends and your dread decision journey. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Syringe_Tide
« Reply #1363 on: November 19, 2007 09:35:54 PM »

I'm thinking about dreading my hair, but I usually keep it so short that I don't know if I have the patience to let it grow enough to start.  You guys think that my hair's about long enough that it won't look horrible right now? These are pretty recent pictures:

It's about 3 inches long at the shortest part.

You should really wait till your hair is longer to dread it! If you do it at the length it is now you'll end up looking like this...

...and I don't think any girl would want that.

If you absolutely can't wait to have them I'de go to a salon and ask them to "wrap and lengthen" your hair or get a dreadlock weave. With the "wrap and lengthen" they wrap your existing hair with human (really expensive, lasts longer) or polyester (really cheap, have to redo every 3 months) and if you want long dreads they just keep twisting it past the point of your normal hair till you are at the length you want. It's sealed with beeswax like normal dreads only you can wash your hair with them. A dreadlock weave is almost the same but they sew the hair into your existing hair and then dread it. It's more expensive and you can't wash it that often. (It sucks either way because if you don't wash it, your hair smells like shit, and if you do, you end up with cramps in your neck because the hair is 3 times as heavy when it's wet.) I used to have dreads and I cut them when they hit the middle of my back because it was a struggle to care for them. Plus, if you try to comb them out when you don't want them anymore it hurts like hell and you end up with bald spots and fried-looking hair. You eventually end up having to cut all of your hair off after hours of combing because it just isn't worth the pain. They look awesome but they're alot to put up with. Now when I want my hair like that I just go to a salon or have a friend do them. They aren't permanent and still look badass.

If you still want the real thing, wait until your hair has at least grown out 5 more inches. This way you'll looks wicked and won't have to worry about people calling you sideshow bob. Smiley

Hope I was of some help...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
milkweed*
Once...there was this kid who...

easy peasy pumkin peasy pumkin pie motherf*ckers

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: November 20, 2007 08:31:00 AM »

heathurr, your dreads will be about half the size your hair is now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh, look at him!" "He's checking out his hair!" "Get off our bus you filthy man." *knock* "'Ello Baybee!"

http://myspace.com/gwuncey
"A TRUE friend stabs you in the front"
heathurr
rah, rah replica!

my god, she looked just like me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1365 on: November 20, 2007 02:42:44 PM »

okay! good advice everyone, thanks.  i just don't know any girls with dreads.  all of my friends that have had dreads were guys, and their hair never got much longer than mine when they started.  i do think i'll wait though.  thanks. (:

and sorry about the rats, mcrguitar!  haha, they're complete sweetypies, though, if it's any consolation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1366 on: November 24, 2007 03:09:34 PM »

Heathurr...You can always make double-ended synthetic dreads...that's what I keep in my hair through the winter. You get enormous bulk, and can take them out every few weeks. My full head takes about two hours for me to to myself now, and every few weeks I can take them out and give my scalp a rest. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

milkweed*
Once...there was this kid who...

easy peasy pumkin peasy pumkin pie motherf*ckers

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: December 14, 2007 08:46:56 PM »

before:

after:

After after (worst picture  of me EVER):

^that picture was taken the day they were backcombed.
that was the day before yesterday Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007 08:48:17 PM by milkweed* » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh, look at him!" "He's checking out his hair!" "Get off our bus you filthy man." *knock* "'Ello Baybee!"

http://myspace.com/gwuncey
"A TRUE friend stabs you in the front"
MCRguitarMCR
on the brink of finding commotion

I love My Chemical Romance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1368 on: December 16, 2007 03:18:19 PM »

I am responsible for the last picture. ^^^ I did the backcoming Cheesy And I took the picture.

Notice the dress on the soap bottle.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007 07:43:09 PM by MCRguitarMCR » THIS ROCKS   Logged

viri
« Reply #1369 on: December 18, 2007 02:57:03 AM »

milkweed admit it you cant live without them Cheesy
I adored youre last set hope this will come along as good (whicked, charming etc...) as the old one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elizabeth Rosner Talks About Blue Nude
Denise Jaden Talks About Losing Faith
Jason Mattera Reveals His Favorite Movie
Zebrafish Book Trailer
Ellen Crosby Talks About The Viognier Vendetta
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...