A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,545
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 232104 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1330 on: November 01, 2007 11:11:30 AM »

w
ho knew dread techniques might be such a controversial topics amongst dreadies??
No matter how you do them, wear them proud!

Sadly it is.
Then again there are some obvious "no no's" when it comes to dreadlocks such as using a non-water-soluble wax with high beeswax content and using a residue containing shampoo.
I've also found that there is a lot of hostility in dread communities on natural (neglect method) vs. backcombed/crocheted/maintained.  dreads. Silly because we all go through the same process, only in different time frames, and we all end up with knotted hair in the end.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
irish_chicky
« Reply #1331 on: November 01, 2007 12:53:21 PM »

I didn't mean to be hostile. I was just saying what I've heard it refered to and what "locking process" means to me.

As far as the neglect vs all other methods thing, i think it's silly aswell, we all chose our own paths just a lot of ppl give their opinion and then jump on others in a very negative way when it is opposed to what their opinion is.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1332 on: November 01, 2007 01:47:41 PM »

...meh...

lol I just came to meet and chat with some fellow dread heads.

I don't think you were hostile at all irish_chicky, no worries Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jpatti
« Reply #1333 on: November 08, 2007 08:44:53 AM »

My dreads are not tight up next to my head.  I don't do anything about that myself.

I haven't been here in a while, but recently posted elsewhere when someone asked about my dreads, so figured to come back and give an update.  This is where I began thinking about it after all!

I've had them for a year.  This is what I posted elsewhere when someone asked about them:

Most shampoos have ingredients considered bad for dreads as they cause unknotting, so I use regular Ivory soap.  I basically lather it up and wash my scalp very thoroughly, then rinse it through the dreads.  Once in a while, a good soak in something like a bit of tea tree oil in water does a deep-cleaning.

I've avoided most problems by not using oils and waxes and such that are often used for dreads.  Not putting lots of gunk in there in the first place helps a lot, but some folks get impatient with it being so messy at first and use all sorts of stuff to make them look neater.  Some of them have lots of problems with that stuff being stuck in the middle of the dreads later.

Some folks with very thin straight hair use these products cause they have a harder time getting dreads.  I'm in sort of an intermediate place, I have thick, curly hair, but not kinky.  So not the easiest to dread, but not the hardest either.

They also sell all sorts of expensive products for dreads, but given that it's just knotted hair, I can't see the point of most of them. Anyone's hair is gonna form knots sooner or later - it just takes some patience.

I put them in using the backcombing method and never used anything to make them dread faster except spraying on salt water.  And lots of patience until they looked more like dreads and less like a mess.

The only real maintenance I do is... dreads want to grow together at the root and if you let them, you could eventually wind up with just one giant dread.  So periodically, I do what is called "ripping" them, pulling them apart parallel to the scalp to separate them.

The week before I put them in, we went on a cruise to the Bahamas, and there were gorgeous dreads all over the island.  That probably was the cincher for me after thinking about it for a good six months. 

While I don't regret them at all and really like them a lot now that they look like dreads instead of a bad hair day, I underestimated how unusual I'd look with them here in rural PA.  This is not the Bahamas - no one around here has dreads, not even the black folks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irish_chicky
« Reply #1334 on: November 08, 2007 10:44:09 AM »

hey j patti, thanks for telling your story.

About shampoo, it is not that they are worried that some shampoos will not let them dread, unless it has conditioner in it. It is the residue that most shampoo will leave behind aka scents and colors that are chemically added to your soap. This can get stuck in the center of your dreads, turning some a grey color, and can eventually lead to mold, but not in all cases.

I use a all natural shampoo made locally and just add some lavender essential oil for a nice smell, or I also have dr.bonners soap which is amazing and completely all natural.

Can you post some pics!!! I love seeing ppl's dreads Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Safetyfox
Neither safe, nor a fox.

Im in yr grden, drinkin yr beerz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1335 on: November 12, 2007 06:46:41 AM »

So, as I threatened a few posts back, I finally got around to going to the local hairdressers to get my hair washed and dried.

My dreads aren't that long but there are a lot of them and in the damp UK autumn they just don't dry quick enough. So I got them washed with some residue-free 'detox' shampoo they had, then I sat under the old-fashioned space-helmet hairdryer for an hour and a half, knitting a sock.

It was great! I'd forgotten how nice it is to have someone else wash my hair. They tied my dreads up in a net while I was under the dryer and they all dried nicely apart from a couple of tips which escaped from the net. I'll definitely be going back. They only charged me ten quid Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait a minute, where's me jumper? On Ravelry of course.

Infrequently updated blog: safetyfox.blogspot.com
irish_chicky
« Reply #1336 on: November 12, 2007 08:13:53 AM »

awesome! I should get one of those chairs for my house haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchFIGHT
« Reply #1337 on: November 12, 2007 10:52:29 AM »

Hey, doesn't anybody think we should organize another dreadlock swap? Last time was way fun, and we have some new dreadheads here anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brihene

i'm kind of a big deal.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1338 on: November 12, 2007 11:17:27 AM »

Okay, I got an ugly haircut, I wanted it short, but now it's kinda ugly, so I'm gonna start my dreads now Smiley I just got some Non residue shampoo.

Are plastic combs good for backcombing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < )

My shop the swap 7 shop!

Horse swap, anyone?
irish_chicky
« Reply #1339 on: November 12, 2007 11:28:25 AM »

Okay, I got an ugly haircut, I wanted it short, but now it's kinda ugly, so I'm gonna start my dreads now Smiley I just got some Non residue shampoo.

Are plastic combs good for backcombing?

Awesome, no plastic will not work you are going to need a metal tooth comb to work with.

Don't forget to post some before and after pics!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Marta Topran Almost Died From Removing Bikini Hair
DIY Avocado Hair Mask Refresher with Meghan Rosette and Lauren Elizabeth
How Sweating Benefits Skin and Cellulite
How to Look Like a Celeb in Pictures
At-Home Teeth Whitening Products That Actually Work
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...