A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,044
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 229943 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

irish_chicky
« Reply #1320 on: October 26, 2007 11:32:53 AM »

there are many ways of getting dread locks.

Go to this site http://com3.runboard.com/bknottydreadlockforum

Warning though, like all places you get the few that are jerks but it will help out a lot!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1321 on: October 31, 2007 02:37:34 PM »

Hi everyone!!
I don't know why I didn't think to do a search beforehand...but I was sitting here reading random craftster posts, fixing a couple dreads and it dawned on me that there would most likely be a Dread Thread on craftster.
I haven't read the whole thread yet but It think it's great Cheesy You all
have gorgeous hair!
I've had my dreads for almost five years...I think..It may be four but still it's been a very LONG time. My hair has always been super thick and  frizzy so one day I realized that dreadlocks would probably be the best bet to stop have fugly hair days.
I bought a Knotty Boy dread kit for forty dollars in Kensington market and I have to say it was a waste of money. Anyways, in the kit you get a plastic comb (useless, you have to buy the metal comb), KB dread wax, a KB sticker and a drawstring bag to keep it all in.
I went outside to try it out right away because I had my hair sectioned for a couple days already. The plastic combs teeth broke in my hair and we (my ex bf) went back inside Roach-O-Rama to buy the metal comb.
Outside, on a bench trying to figure out how to do my dreads exactly, a Rastafarian man roughly in his 60's came over and started  yanking on my hair giving us tips. I wasn't really sure what was going on but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He told us about the 'locking' method and how to use a crochet hook to tie in all of the loose hairs. I have to credit this man for how well my dreads have kept up over the years.
It took my ex and I over a month to do my hair because he was lazy and sometimes I would cry from the painful process of back combing at the scalp. It was really humiliating walking around with half a head of dreads so I finished them on my own. To this day, I am the one who works on my dreads and everyone loves them!

My biggest tips:
-Keep your roots separated
-use the locking process (tip of dread through root)
-use a crochet hook once in a while
-to keep your skin clear and fuzz out of your hair do not use bees wax
...can't think of anything else right now =^.^=

Here's a few pics though Cheesy
cheers everyone!!

Here are the very popular dread head warmers that I make

eeps!! sorry they're so big!!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007 02:40:14 PM by BonEsInspired - Reason: appologizing for super big photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #1322 on: October 31, 2007 03:07:01 PM »

Hey 4 years is a long time! I've had mine for 2.

Btw I wouldn't do the tip of dread through root process, it can thin your dreads by causing breakage, make dreads look all bumpy, like I can see in your pics, and is really painful.

But to each their own.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1323 on: October 31, 2007 03:26:41 PM »

It doesn't really thin them out all that much, nor does it hurt if you do it properly and not excessively. It also makes the dread very strong, kind of hemp like. I haven't experienced any breakage either and  I recommend the process to everyone.
It adds character if you ask me Cheesy In some places it looks like there are braids and the staircase knot like in bracelets. I've never wanted perfect dreads or dreads that look like everyone else's.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007 03:30:18 PM by BonEsInspired » THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #1324 on: October 31, 2007 04:04:58 PM »

It doesn't really thin them out all that much, nor does it hurt if you do it properly and not excessively. It also makes the dread very strong, kind of hemp like. I haven't experienced any breakage either and  I recommend the process to everyone.
It adds character if you ask me Cheesy In some places it looks like there are braids and the staircase knot like in bracelets. I've never wanted perfect dreads or dreads that look like everyone else's.

I hope I didnt come across as rude. I was just speaking on what I have heard from ppl that have done it.

but to each their own. I just opt to let my hair do it;s own thing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

outofthequestion
« Reply #1325 on: October 31, 2007 08:23:06 PM »

Hey guys... Wow, great dreads bonespinspired... Sorry for my ignorance AGAIN, but what is the "tip of dread through root process"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1326 on: October 31, 2007 10:09:36 PM »

*blushes
Thank you outofthequestion!

The "tip of the dread through root process" is known as the 'locking process'. It is another method of dreading your roots and keeping them separated.
When your hair grows out long enough at the root of a dread, and you can put the tip of your finger through, you take the end/bottom of the same dread and put it through the space at the top where your finger just was. It sounds trickier than it actually is... Don't do it too many times or your head WILL hurt and it can be difficult to reverse if you are going through different hairs every time (which you should do).

If you know how this hairstyle is done, it is exactly the same idea, however, you do not need that plastic thingy they are advertising. This link also has a video to show you how it's done...just think of her whole head of hair being one dread. Hope this didn't complicate things too much...It's pretty late lol
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.zenner.nl/assets/preview/144.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.zenner.nl/overig/&h=240&w=320&sz=5&hl=en&start=39&um=1&tbnid=PtCxoAAx9wB7QM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dponytails%2Bloop%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B2GGFB_enCA210CA210%26sa%3DN

Hope this helps, glad to answer questions Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007 10:12:35 PM by BonEsInspired » THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #1327 on: November 01, 2007 12:35:46 AM »

personally I call the method "flipping" but like a lot of other things, they have different names. The "locking process" means your dreads getting tighter, knotting up and becoming more mature.

gosh, I'm tired, I think it's time for bed Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1328 on: November 01, 2007 08:46:40 AM »

BonEsInspired:
Lovely dreads. They definately have a character of their own and that is what I love so much about dreads.
I do the "locking process" as well - it does have many different names - but the process is the same.
Lots of people told me not to do it because it supposedly thins out your dreads - I haven't had that problem.
It did make some bumps and lumps but I LOVE the bumps and lumps. Over the years I've used them as kind of markers that let me know how long my dreads have grown. Haha
I've also used the root rubbing method to knot up new growth and it works for me - others say it causes breakage and thining... I've had my dreads for over 3 years and I've not seen any breakage or thining.

With dreads everyone has to find their own path.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1329 on: November 01, 2007 09:15:34 AM »

Thanks for the compliment souldier!!

I'll have to go through the entire thread to see more dreadling pics Wink
and...who knew dread techniques might be such a controversial topics amongst dreadies??
No matter how you do them, wear them proud!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Benjamin Hickey on Narrating In One Person
Molly Quinn on Narrating City of Lost Souls
Cassandra Clare on Her Audiobook City of Lost Souls
Dreams on Spec
Kitty Pilgrim on the Mysteries of Ancient Egypt in The Stolen Chalice
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...