A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 239518 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1300 on: September 29, 2007 03:20:03 PM »

Don't worry about the mildew thing, like I said it only becomes an issue a few times a year.  For a long time they won't be tight enough to restrict air flow.  Definitely leave a towel wrapped around them as long as you can after washing.  I use a blow dryer any time I am not going to be out in the sun.
I have a secret to share, too...  when I have been to the stinky bar and I have to go to work with no time to shower in the morning, I sometimes Febreze my hair.  Undecided It helps a lot with the cigarette smell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irish_chicky
« Reply #1301 on: September 29, 2007 03:23:49 PM »

You can use a hair dryer if u want, but seriously you shouldnt worry to much about dreads, they pretty much do their own thing.

You can get tea tree oil at a drug store, organic section of your grocery store, health food store. Places like that Smiley

Just take a deep breath, out of everyone I know that has dreads, and who I have met they have never got mildew/mold unless they kept their hair constantly wet, swimming everyday and not drying them completely, or washing them everyday and not letting them dry completely etc.  Or had something in their hair, like wax, that retained the water (and even then was due to to frequently getting them wet and not allowing the water to disapate from the wax).

Really, it's not a big deal, you have a very slim chance of getting mold if you dont wash them everyday, and if you dont use wax, or any other gels etc, that retain water.

Just get some residue free shampoo, add some tea tree oil and you're good to go.

If your hair starts to smell a little that doesnt mean mildew/mold, it just means that there is pollution, smoke, random smells trapped in your hair. Dreads are like sponges, they trap every smell. You can fix this by doing an ACV (apple cyder vinager) rince like I discribed above, or you could just use regular vinager like emkay, or you can put organic scents in your hair like lavender, patchouli, etc.

dreads are only as high maintanence as you make them, me, it's wash (about once a week) and go... that's it.

haha emkay frebreze, that would smell nice, I'd want to wash them asap though! you could take a spray bottle put some water in it, add your favorite oil, mines lavender mmm, and spritz that on when in need, like after a stinky bar. would do the same thing I think, without the nasty chemicals .
That's what I would do anyways Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
Safetyfox
Neither safe, nor a fox.

Im in yr grden, drinkin yr beerz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1302 on: September 30, 2007 09:44:22 AM »

Could a person use maybe a bonnet type hair dryer on their dreads to spead up the drying?

The hairdresser's in my village has a row of those old-fashioned hairdryers that you sit under. For a while now I've been thinking of asking the owner if I can pay to sit under one of them for an hour or two on a Saturday morning after I've washed my hair. Especially with the winter coming on: when the air is damp my dreads take more than 24 hours to dry. I think it would be rather nice to sit under a dryer with my knitting while it rains outside Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait a minute, where's me jumper? On Ravelry of course.

Infrequently updated blog: safetyfox.blogspot.com
outofthequestion
« Reply #1303 on: September 30, 2007 11:38:55 AM »

Thanks everyone. I'm not so worried about the mildew now. I might invest in a hair drying bonnet, though.

And Safetyfox, I'm sure that your hairdressers would let you pay to sit under their dryers... Gosh, that would be easy money for them, wouldn't it. Smiley Its worth asking. I sure wouldn't want a wet head in the winter time for 24 hours. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1304 on: September 30, 2007 02:43:18 PM »

I did buy a bottle of lavender essential oil a while back, but I wondered how well it would mix with the water and how many drops to add to the spray bottle?  I got it for the benefits to my scalp and honestly didn't even think of using it to cover the smoke smell, but I will definitely try!  And yes, I wash my hair AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after using the Febreze because although it smells nice and fresh it still smells like chemicals... and because the smoke makes my psoriasis itchy, my body has associated the smell of Febreze with being itchy, so now I THINK I itch every time I use it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MCRguitarMCR
on the brink of finding commotion

I love My Chemical Romance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1305 on: September 30, 2007 05:57:40 PM »

Here is a pic of my hair so far. the pic was actually of the hat but it has some of my hair in it
http://a3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/70/l_daff6d98ca8d3c253398fb8c2aad4e92.jpg
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 07:00:49 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

viri
« Reply #1306 on: October 01, 2007 06:44:31 AM »

Nice how old are they?

Mine are a year old today Cheesy I'cant belive. I go to party with my flatemate to celebrate it.

I'll have to take photos as soon as I get home from capoeira class.
(I'm now in Spain as an Erasmus student).
But till then here is a recent photo (made c. 2 weeks ago at my farewell party).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
outofthequestion
« Reply #1307 on: October 02, 2007 12:06:56 PM »

hi viri... your dreads are beautiful! I've been in the process of dreading mine all day... I'm almost done with my whole head... man, what a job... but..... now that i'm almost finished, i'm figuring out how to do it better, and how I like mine... SO.... Needless to say, the past few I've done have looked much better and been more the right size to my liking..... SO... I'm thinking of combing them all out and starting over Sad... only because the first ones I made were too huge. I guess I way over judged how much hair at first to use for each lock. Even with some of them huge and weird looking, though, I have to say that I feel SO happy and I LOVE them so much...... Thank you for all of your help everyone! Not that they look great, I mean, they are fuzzy as can be, but they make me feel so NATURAL and FREE and HAPPY... I've never been happy with my hair or thought it looked good, but when I look at this, despite their newness and wrongness..... I still love this far better than anything else I've ever done with my hair... I'll post pictures later this afternoon if I can... But I really do think I'm going to comb them out and start over... has anyone else done this all in one day... I hope they come out! I'll be sad to see them go, but I just want to put them in now that I'm better at it. Smiley The first ones were just weird... Anyways, sorry to talk so much and not show pictures... I just feel excited about it all, and wanted to give an update. Smiley

Many thanks to each of you dread buddies Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
paisley-sink

me and my pillar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1308 on: October 02, 2007 04:29:59 PM »

Hello!
i would like to say i feel some what guilty for almost never posting in this thread, i've been lurking in this thread since its early beginnings. so i thought i would post pictures of my long gone dreads.
i had them for about a year, i did a little backcombing to get them started but as you can see i wasn't big on the maintainence thing.
I loved my dreads but they just got out of control and were all stuck together. At one point i couldn't scratch they back of my head and had to have someone seperate them with scissors. Also, they were all thick at the bottom and skinny at the top because where my hair was bleached they dreaded up more. So anyway after i graduated I cut them til they were each about 5 inches long and then spent 3 days tediously combing out the hair i had left. but it worked out pretty good after i was done because since they were all about the same length from my head when i cut them, it gave my hair a kind of layered effect.
My hair is MUCH thinner than it was before i dreaded my hair, which i attribute most of that loss to the combing out process i wish i could show you the trash bag full of hair i had after i finished Grin but i have been dreadless for about 4 months now and my hair seems to be making a comeback so i'm happy.
Once my hair grows out a bit i will be starting the dread process over again, this time i plan to take a little bit better care of them in their beginning stages.  Smiley

And that is the story of my dreads!
on to the pics!

my fattest dreadies:

the after:

Thanks for looking!
I love seeing pictures of you're alls beautiful dreadies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paisley-sink

me and my pillar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1309 on: October 03, 2007 10:06:52 AM »

well i just happened to be growing out my bleached hair when i dreaded it. i didn't realize it would dread so differently. i would personally not recommend bleaching before you dread. Yes it does lock up a little faster but it was really lumpy and weird. My dreads looked much better where my hair wasn't bleached i thought. Also the bleached part will eventually grow out leaving you with your natural healthier hair a different texture from the bleached part. Although this is assuming everyone's hair is as damaged as mine was from the bleaching process. i'm sure everyone's hair is different in that regard.

oh and i think the bangs look cute when they're out, i had a bunch of loose hairs in front too. which i liked because if you have a big dread right in front it'll be annoyingly in your face alot.
not being able to tuck my hair behind my ears was definetly the part about having dreads that i don't miss!

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Plate the Chicken Breasts with Grits and Orange Remoulade
Learn how to Prepare Grain Mustard Orange Remoulade
Learn how to Prepare Potato Grits
Learn how to Prepare Fried Chicken Breast
Learn how to Prepare Onion Carbonara
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...