A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
774 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 226691 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cadillac.tramp
Born to Lose, Destined to Fail.

With a Golden Heart comes a Rebel Fist

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: September 27, 2007 03:37:09 PM »

Dumb question...about how much will my hair "shrink" up as I dread it?  I'm waiting for it to get a few inches past shoulder length to do them, so another 6 months or so hopefully.  Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When there's no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth.

www.myspace.com/xboondockxsaintx
emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: September 27, 2007 05:42:51 PM »

Mine shrunk to about 1/3 the original length.  Straight, it was just to my waist, and after dreading it was slightly below my chin.  It has taken almost 5 years to get back to waist length!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
outofthequestion
« Reply #1292 on: September 28, 2007 02:13:45 PM »

Wow, thank you all for the information and for answering my questions. I'll have to look for some rosemary. I really want to do it. Recently, though, I donated 20 inches of my hair to Locks of Love, so now my hair is only at my shoulders... ACK... I don't regret donating it, but I'm wondering how short it will look......... IF I get the nerve to "stick it to the man", I'll definitely take before pictures... There is so much contradicting information on here, though. Some say wax, some say no wax... Some say Aloe is good, but not on babies... I'm not sure which route to go. I wouldn't mind them looking fuzzy, but other people might....  Undecided Oh well, Monday I should have the time, so we'll see if I'm feeling gutsy enough then... If I do, I'll be posting pictures, don't worry! Smiley

Oh, does anyone know of any good crochet patterns for tams or headbands? (Easy ones)

Out of curiosity, I've read that baby shampoo is "residue free". Has anyone here used that for washing their head? If so, do you think it was a decent choice?

Also, has anyone heard of just using cider vinegar to wash your head, instead of any shampoo?

One more thing... If someone was wanting to have dyed hair, should they dye it before or after they dread it?

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
irish_chicky
« Reply #1293 on: September 28, 2007 02:30:46 PM »

yeah a lot of ppl have different opinions on wax etc. it's really a personal choice, all I know is that I speak from experience, and I know many others that have gone through using wax, even not as heavy as I did, and it never comes out, and it hinders the locking process... I think I have a pic to sorta explain it
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/irish_chicky/badwaxer-1.jpg

As for ppl that wont like your frizzy hair, you will get that even if they are really nicely formed ones, a lot of ppl just dont understand dreadlocks.

As for washing your hair in ACV all the time, it might not be a good idea, Vinager can be hard on your hair, also it will make your dreads smell like vinager all the time. I never heard about baby shampoo before, but in you local grocery store in the organic isle , or at any health food store, you should be able to find a residue free, all natural shapoo.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 06:58:33 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
outofthequestion
« Reply #1294 on: September 28, 2007 06:45:29 PM »

That makes perfect sense irish chicky. Thanks for the visual. That really helps make things clear! I don't think I'll be using wax. I definitely want the tightly knotted hairs. Now I can't wait until Monday....

Thanks again! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

outofthequestion
« Reply #1295 on: September 28, 2007 06:48:20 PM »

I did them all myself except a few in the back, and those ones still are not quite right. Wink  I just feel better knowing I did them myself.  After the three days it took I could barely use my arms because my elbows were so sore.
I need to put my dreads in a hair or a wrap because I am outside a lot and I get tangled in the woods, or full of grass, or like recently I am working in streams and they are trailing in the water...
I say go for it, and don't forget to take "before" pics!

Emkay,

I know what you mean about wanting to do them yourself so you can do it "right". Not that I'll do them right, but I know I'll be more conscientious about it that anyone else would. I don't know what I'll do when I'm on the back ones, but somehow I'll figure out a way. I could french braid my own hair when it was long, so surely I can dread my own hair? LOL... Lets hope. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1296 on: September 28, 2007 09:08:15 PM »

In my experience, most people say that wax or aloe or anything at all will hinder dreads more than help them.  I have used wax to try to weigh my hair down or get a particularly stubborn clump moving in the right direction, but I strongly advise against using it in every dread, like I did.  It does come out eventually but by then everything in your house is sticky with it...  my pillowcases had to be thrown away... and some of my sweaters will never be the same.
I wash my hair with white vinegar about once every 3 months.  The reason is, mildew will grow if they are unable to dry properly, and then every time they get wet you will smell moldy.  Vinegar kills mildew as well as eliminating the smell.  I do not do this unless they actually smell, though.
I buy a gallon bottle, pour about half into a mixing bowl and get the dreads in there to soak as long as I can stand the fumes.  Have a washcloth nearby to hold over your eyes, mouth, and nose in case you need it.  I would NEVER use apple cider vinegar because I would be paranoid about fruit flies and bees.  Not sure if it actually attracts them, but in my imagination it does.  After washing with vinegar I take a looooong shower and rinse, rinse, rinse, then wash with shampoo.  I need to use shampoo because I have psoriasis on my head.  Contrary to almost everything I have ever read, it does not affect my dreads negatively, although the type of shampoo used does make a difference in how they feel, just like with regular hair.  I use a really expensive tea tree kind for the psoriasis that makes the dreads feel light and fluffy, plus tea tree oil is antiseptic and anti-fungal.  I always smell a little bit of vinegar afterward, but it's better than mildew and it does go away as they dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
outofthequestion
« Reply #1297 on: September 29, 2007 07:06:22 AM »

that whole mildew thing scares me... is there a way to prevent that from happening altogether? does this happen to everyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #1298 on: September 29, 2007 07:46:53 AM »

all I was saying about aloe was to tame frizzies, aloe gel can easily be washed out of dreads, unlike wax. Sounds like you and I have had a similar wax experience, my wax isnt all out yet but it's getting there.

As for ACV I've used it and it's never attracted fruit flyes or bees haha it smells more vinagary then apply though.

As for mold/mildew, just make sure that your dreads are completely dry before
a. washing again
b. wearing a hat
c. going to bed

Depeending on the thickness of your dread it could be a "quick" dry or a long one. Mine take about a whole day and partial night to dry properly, but if you want thinner dreads it prob wouldn't take as long.

If you dont use wax or anything on your hair though you have a lower risk of getting mold/mildew because there is nothing in your hair to trap the water, like wax which retains the water, takes your hair longer to dry thus possibly causeing mold.

When you get your shampoo, if it doesnt already have it in it, just add a few drops of tea tree oil to it. This is an antifungal so it will keep the mildew/mold at bay.

I know ppl that have never used vinager to wash their hair and have never had any problems. I like it because if you are around smoke, dogs, pollution, etc, u get all those smells in your hair and the vinager strips it out also allowing a deeper clean.

The way I use acv is by taking 1/2 acv to 1/2 water, putting it in a squirt bottle and spraying my scalp and all the way down each dread until it is soked. Then wrap it up in a towel for a half hour to an hour to let it set and do it's magic then rince rince rince, then wash with shampoo then rince rince rince, then leave them in a different towel for about a half hour to soak up access water, then let them air dry.

They still smell like vinager for a day or two but after that they are smelless and fluffy and soft. Oh and NO bug problems haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
outofthequestion
« Reply #1299 on: September 29, 2007 10:04:40 AM »

Okay, its me again with another question... Everyone says "make sure your dreads are dry" and "air dry"... Well, here's my question... Could a person use maybe a bonnet type hair dryer on their dreads to spead up the drying? I'm still stuck on that mildew thing...... And also, where do you get the tea tree oil?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Difference Between a $100 and $1,000 Haircut
How to Do a Halo Braid on Short Hair
Low Ponytails at the Dennis Basso Spring 2014 Show
WWJLD? Jared Leto Offers Hair Inspiration to Us All
The Best and Worst Dressed of the 2014 Grammys
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...