A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,041
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 221447 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

viri
« Reply #970 on: October 01, 2006 04:02:03 PM »

Yeah I know it's natural to have itchy scalp, the question was for how long. I mean my normal hair was itchy sometimes, just it was easier to scratch  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #971 on: October 01, 2006 04:19:26 PM »

Aloe is a moisturizer... It will calm down the frizzies but it won't get rid of them. Neither will wax. The only way to get rid of frizzies is by either tying your roots, physically pulling them in with a crochet hook, or letting time to it's job.
Also because of it's moisturizing effect, pure aloe shouldn't be used on new locks.
If your using aloe on fresh locks, the best thing would be to add a little sea salt to it.
Also aloe will not "hold things together". This is the only advantage to dreadwax, but it could also potentially be it's pitfall if used improperly. If you use it properly, it will hold the hairs together during the first washes and prevent new dreads from unravelling which not only saves time, it also keeps things looking a little more proper for those of us who have jobs that demand us to look tidy. Now if used improperly, this continuous hold on your hair will prevent it from forming new knots which will keep your dreads from maturing properly.
What I've come to notice is that most people think they use wax properly, when they infact don't. All of the people I've talked to who have had problems with wax think they have been using it properly till I lay out the differences between what "properly" according to the jar is, and what "properly" according to common sense is.
Also most people refuse to admitt that their problems are caused by "their" mistake. Wax is a nice scape-goat. They often neglect to mention things like how they waxed daily, or decided to wax right out of the shower because they were in a hurry.

Also, I'm not trying to say that everyone should use wax. On the contrary, I'm just trying to let people know that there is a good and a bad side to wax and that their decisions will affect the outcome.
But if you choose the option to boycott wax, that's all good too.
Choose your own path, just be certain you know where each road can take you.  Wink

Viri:
My itchies more or less went away after a month. It all depens on how long it takes for your scalp to adjust to the new routine.
Another thing that may help are scalp massages. Just rub your scalp from time to time (or better yet, get someone to do it for you). Feels great and gives your scalp that stimulation it used to get with brushing and daily washing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
roskate

Let the Punks Get Crunk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #972 on: October 01, 2006 04:36:49 PM »

Viri! i love your dreads!
i hope mine turn out looking that good when i get them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #973 on: October 01, 2006 05:17:28 PM »

viri, from wht i can see, your dreads look amazing! Do you have other pictures you can post? pretty please??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Sirk
"We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master"

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 04, 2006 11:57:44 PM »

wow 101 pages about dreadies!

I've been feeling its time to redo mine, I chopped them when 2 years ago and it just isn't the same having boring hair LOL

These are from the night they got chopped when I was 8 months pregnant
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/ellami/dreads/5797ff67.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/ellami/dreads/19f62cea.jpg

Now I'm thinking of getting some more wax and going again soon. Last time I used the knotty boy stuff and it worked well. Has anyone used dread HQ wax? (i need wax with my hair, won't lock up properly otherwise)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

viri
« Reply #975 on: October 05, 2006 01:47:22 AM »

Mayerlove: so I think It's a better  pic of them, you can clearly see how babies they are....

And an other week of itchy scalp for me, cuz I wanted to try to lock a loose one with some soap (I' heard it does wonders like felting..) and it was great on one lock but got the other one's base unlocked, and locked too much the ends. So I can't really backcomb it again. I'll crochet in the fizzy hair hope that'll help. I really did freak out. It's weird how my dreads are bringing out the girlie side of me  Shocked
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006 01:49:19 AM by viri » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 05, 2006 09:23:42 AM »

I've been kinda skeptical of putting wool in my hair for a while (no real reason why), but when you put it that way, rhino, it makes perfect sense. Aw man, now I have to go get some coloured wool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
jezebel7383
« Reply #977 on: October 05, 2006 09:28:05 AM »

Does anyone have any wooly dread pics they can share? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Mermaid Strikes Back

spirit day was crazy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #978 on: October 05, 2006 09:38:58 AM »

my YMCA card! but its a horrid pictue, and just wool dreads braided in.  thats what i did for about a month redoing it every weekend before i hacked off all the over processed hair and did dreads.

Ariel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

join the september wish list swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=193590.0

www.wists.com/MissMermaid

enjoy felting? want to trade for some wool dreads? PM me!
viri
« Reply #979 on: October 05, 2006 10:01:53 AM »

Rhino: do you have any pics to share?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Plating your Home Style Meatloaf
Finishing your Meatloaf Gravy
How to Finish the Whipped Potatoes
Beginning Meatloaf Gravy
Cutting and Cooking Whipped Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...