A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 254009 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MCRguitarMCR
on the brink of finding commotion

I love My Chemical Romance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #940 on: September 29, 2006 09:30:37 AM »

So far this is the best dread sleeve tut I can find. So Im gonna try to make one Cheesy Hey Kel, I will bring my sead beads to your house so we can try this Cheesy

http://www.suzannecooper.com/classroom/evenpeyote_a.html

-edited cus i forgot to put the link-
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006 09:33:09 AM by MCRguitarMCR » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Mermaid Strikes Back

spirit day was crazy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #941 on: September 29, 2006 01:22:51 PM »

ive created a pattern of my own, and now im doing a personal swap with jezebel for some...i mean, im making her some in exchange for a new messenger...so im making a bunch.  ill post pictures when she recieves...i started the first one today at school.

if anyone else wants some but doesnt know how to make them, give me like a month and i would be willing to do a personal swap for them.

Ariel

p.s. im in WI usa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

join the september wish list swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=193590.0

www.wists.com/MissMermaid

enjoy felting? want to trade for some wool dreads? PM me!
jezebel7383
« Reply #942 on: September 29, 2006 01:26:36 PM »

ive created a pattern of my own, and now im doing a personal swap with jezebel for some...i mean, im making her some in exchange for a new messenger...so im making a bunch.  ill post pictures when she recieves...i started the first one today at school.

if anyone else wants some but doesnt know how to make them, give me like a month and i would be willing to do a personal swap for them.

Ariel

p.s. im in WI usa
I'm excited to see them. I really need to get a pic of my dreads on here. It's hard to take a decent one on your own. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #943 on: September 29, 2006 06:55:43 PM »

patchworkarmy:
I saw your work on here before I even had dreads.
I've always loved the mushroom peyote. Really cool.
I also like the swirly tam you made. Really awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
roskate

Let the Punks Get Crunk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #944 on: September 29, 2006 09:56:01 PM »

Hello.  Grin

I've wanted dread locks for a while now and now i am finally deciding that i am gonna get them. I just have a few questions. I'm sorry if the question has been asked/answered already, i've only read up to page 30 and still and reading every post.

When first dreading your hair whens the earliest you can wash them?

NakedNinja was talking about a pepermint spray thingie to make your hair smell good and relieve itch and other stuff, can you use that everyday?

Annd

I think i am gonna get Knotty Boy wax, is there anything else that i need to mantain dread/start them beside a fine tooth comb (i am gonna backcomb) and the residue-free shampoo?

Thanks for the help  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006 10:07:24 PM by roskate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #945 on: September 29, 2006 10:06:57 PM »

patchworkarmy:
I saw your work on here before I even had dreads.
I've always loved the mushroom peyote. Really cool.
I also like the swirly tam you made. Really awesome.

*blushing* thank you! that shroom took me MONTHS of working on it here and there.  It's really huge! =0)

OMFGOMFGOMFGOMFG!!! I am addicted to argyle! How do you make those!? The sleeves in general, I am pretty good at making anything argyle Tongue
I've just taught myself form tutorials I found online.  Actually, I used that exact link, MCRguitarMCR... funny.  There another one out there that teaches you how to design your own pictures.  Basically, you can download peyote stitch graph paper (b/c the beads don't line up exactly one on top of the other like regular graph paper), and just color in your design.  Taking into consideration the size of your beads, and the size dread you're making it for.  Like your gauge in knitting. 
  The trick to knitting pictures/designes like this is that when you finish each row, you're starting not right on top of that last bead, but one step up and over.  Hard to explain.  If I find that tute, I'll post.  I just draw a diagonal line through the picture/design after I'm done coloring it in.  This diagonal line (from bottom right to top left) tells you where your next row starts so you can count correctly.
sorry that was so long!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toeknuckles

adept at freelance idiocy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #946 on: September 30, 2006 07:27:56 AM »

NakedNinja was talking about a pepermint spray thingie to make your hair smell good and relieve itch and other stuff, can you use that everyday?

Annd

I think i am gonna get Knotty Boy wax, is there anything else that i need to mantain dread/start them beside a fine tooth comb (i am gonna backcomb) and the residue-free shampoo?

hey roskate  Smiley no stupid questions! if you don't ask, you can't know!

ok, so the washing thing: the longer you can hold out, the better, really. within reason.
if your hair is very short, you're going to probably want to put a band on the end, or some sort of tie, while you wash.
washing can make a brand new dread un-dread. so if you tie the ends, this can't happen the same way.

i left my dreads 2 weeks, and they held up through the wash really really well. the short dreads around my face (i had short hair there) unravelled a little though. i should have tied 'em, damnit!!

and i use a rosemary and salt spray every day. it has some cucumber fragrance oil in it too, and some aloe vera. keeps my scalp feeling good, and my dreads smelling...uh....cucumber fresh.
smells better than it sounds. ;-)
i just spray it on lightly though. soak your dreads every day like that and they're going to get manky. and HEAVY!
so just a light spritz, not a soaking.

a comb and residue free shampoo are all you really need to start with backcoming. oh, and hair ties, if you want to seperate it all up neatly.

and you've probably heard it before, but sparingly, sparingly, sparingly on the wax.
i overdid it one day, and had these greasy, nasty dreads wapping me in the face. and they were too greasy to lock up. i had a hell of a time getting it out.
so go easy on it! you'll probably find that salt water sprayed on will help your dreads far more than applying wax.

anyway, you can find other people's opinions and their methods by reading further back in the thread. what i've said is what worked for me, but people have SO many different methods. always best to read around. Wink
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006 07:29:57 AM by toeknuckles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art and various other goodies by Amy Edwards at The Ugly Goat - www.toeknuckles.com
Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #947 on: September 30, 2006 08:33:13 AM »

Hello.  Grin

I've wanted dread locks for a while now and now i am finally deciding that i am gonna get them. I just have a few questions. I'm sorry if the question has been asked/answered already, i've only read up to page 30 and still and reading every post.

Annd

Thanks for the help  Smiley

First off, you need absolutely nothing to maintain dreads other than some good non-residue shampoo and time. Hair knots naturally...
Dr. Bronners is the most popular shampoo you can find locally. Most often health food stores carry it.

So you've decided to backcomb.
You'll need a metal tooth comb. Dollar Stores are the best. You can find these types of combs in the pet section.
You may want some elastics too to help section your hair off and tie off your roots and tips if you wish. Once again, the Dollar Store is your best bet. **A note of caution** Elastics rot. If you are using them, change them frequently.

Wax is not necessary. It really does nothing but help keep your hair from unknotting itself in the beginning. It can also help when your locks get really dry. Now if you excessively use wax, you'll do nothing but hinder the locking process and you'll more than likely end up with lots of problems like mold, gross stickiness which attracts dirt as well as other things, and generally nasty looking dreads. Some say that over the course of time, unproper wax usage can even cause hair to go rancid from the inside out. I've never actually seen this happen, but I 've heard of it. So in other words BE CAREFUL. Only use small amounts and do not use everyday. Once a week is almost pushing it.

As for washing.
I waited a week before I washed mine. I wouldn't hold out more than that. Don't be afraid to wash... Some people wait a month and I think that is just stupid. One week is a long enough wait as far as I'm concerned.
If you tie off your tips with rubber bands, nothing will come undone. On the contrary, washing helps hair knot faster. I noticed a considerable difference after my very first wash. It's awesome really.
Anyway for the first little while till your dreads mature, I'd only wash once a week. After a year you can wash more frequently if you wish, but it is not necessary and will more than likely just strip your scalp of its natural oils. I usually wait 1 to 2 weeks and then wash.

Now you wanted to know about the peppermint spray.
Well there are variations on it...
For new dreads, I wouldn't really recommend essential oils because they tend to moisturize which is what you want to avoid in the first little while.
I'd say to go with the rosemary water recipe.
All you do is boil a handful of rosemary in a pot and wait till the water turns dark. Strain, let cool a little and either pour over your scalp or spritz on your scalp with a spray bottle.
This works especially well when you have the itchies.
Now if your itchies are especially bad, try adding a few drops of Tea Tree oil or Peppermint oil. Make sure to focus on your scalp, not your dreads.

Now if you want to focus on your locks, I'd use the rosemary water with a little sea salt in it. This would act like a locking accelorator.

Anyway if you have any other questions feel free to post or pm me!  Cheesy
No question is a stupid question...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
milkweed*
Once...there was this kid who...

easy peasy pumkin peasy pumkin pie motherf*ckers

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 30, 2006 08:43:00 AM »

OMFGOMFGOMFGOMFG!!! I am addicted to argyle! How do you make those!? The sleeves in general, I am pretty good at making anything argyle Tongue
I've just taught myself form tutorials I found online.  Actually, I used that exact link, MCRguitarMCR... funny.  There another one out there that teaches you how to design your own pictures.  Basically, you can download peyote stitch graph paper (b/c the beads don't line up exactly one on top of the other like regular graph paper), and just color in your design.  Taking into consideration the size of your beads, and the size dread you're making it for.  Like your gauge in knitting. 
  The trick to knitting pictures/designes like this is that when you finish each row, you're starting not right on top of that last bead, but one step up and over.  Hard to explain.  If I find that tute, I'll post.  I just draw a diagonal line through the picture/design after I'm done coloring it in.  This diagonal line (from bottom right to top left) tells you where your next row starts so you can count correctly.
sorry that was so long!  Cheesy
mcrguitar and i tried makeing some peyotes last night and they are really fun to make! they are a little messed up but not that much, it looks like there is just a part were it got all knotted up and scragled. and  its really not as hard as it looks...pretty darn easy when you get to about the fourth round. we will get pics when they are all done Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh, look at him!" "He's checking out his hair!" "Get off our bus you filthy man." *knock* "'Ello Baybee!"

http://myspace.com/gwuncey
"A TRUE friend stabs you in the front"
paisley-sink

me and my pillar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #949 on: September 30, 2006 03:26:32 PM »

what other kind of shampoos besides the dread head hq and the knotty bot kind do you guys use? because no stores around me sell them and i get tired of ordering them.

anyone make their own shampoo?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Turn Snow Into Ice Cream
Mango-Banana Rum Upside-Down Cake
Learn How to Make an Upside-Down Pineapple Cake in Under One Minute!
A 60-Second Banana Split Ice Cream Cake
A Delicious One-Minute Caramel Mousse
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...