A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 227604 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kenners
« Reply #740 on: August 24, 2006 12:12:02 PM »

Ah yes, that all makes sense... You've quietened one of my many rponderings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Generation Artisan

"Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
jezebel7383
« Reply #741 on: August 24, 2006 12:30:14 PM »

Has anyone tried the dread teas on KnottyBoy? I seem to be getting a lot dandruff and am having a hard time calming it down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: August 24, 2006 12:51:47 PM »

The only real problem I have with wax is how slimy I feel, no matter How little I use. Althought I'm beginning to doubt "the secret Jamacian recipe."

I've been using swimmers shampoo...the stuff designed to strip chlorine and chemicals. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: August 24, 2006 02:02:43 PM »

I'm pretty sure the knot teas are made by enchantedsoapworks. ..
Even the folks on knottylocks were giving the stuff praise... They are a tough crowd.
Haven't tried them me-self though.  Smiley

I'd go get a bottle of selsun blue and use it once a week till the dandruff is gone... then use it once a month or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 24, 2006 05:54:55 PM »

Guess who has new photos!
me.
And photos of my dreadums no less.

The back. Sorry for the shoddy lighting, I live under my bed. I have 2 'un-dreads' back there. I'll get to em soon.

Again under the bed. This time I discovered the flash on my camera. Top of my head, many many many frizzies!

Pretty little bead I got for a quarter. I also have a glass bead in the back of my hair, and a metal nut.

Me being arty with the camera and the rope lights. Not so much of my hair, but you can see all the fuzzies in the back.
And... its not my hair, and I'll take this one down if its too off topic for ya, but this is my new home!!!

See the black tulle curtain below? Thats where I live when I'm not in class.

Ok, a couple things about my hair now.
I had them maintained/ done professionally I think the middle of June. Since then I haven't touched them. I don't mind my extremely unkempt look (college student, hello.) so I'd appreciate no 'you should do maintenence' comments. The new growth (about 2 inches now, my hair grows fast) is knotting up nicely on its own, but the bottoms are fringy and silky smooth. So I have a plan!!
My super dooper plan- Wrap my hair in black and red boondoggle! (lanyard lace.) School spirit, plus I did a test lock with some purple boondoggle, and it helped it stay tight and knot up alot, plus I like it better than thread, and you use less of it because it's thicker, and plastic (vinyl?), so it wont rot out or get icky. So, pictures of that will come in a couple weeks when I can get to a craft store.

Overall, I'm very happy with my hair, dispite the lack of organization. And people still give me high-fives and call me dreadlocks, so its all good Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #745 on: August 24, 2006 07:21:12 PM »

Awesome locks wallaby!
I would never tell anyone that they should do maintenance. Locks were never ment to be perfect... Heck when I do maintenance all I do is get rid of fuzz, I don't try to alter them or anything.
I love to see dreads that are on the natural side... It's just awesome to see what our hair can do all on it's own isn't it. Maybe I'm just dorky that way... but I find it cool.

My beau's dreads are a beautiful mess too and I love them sooo much. Your locks remind me of his.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e394/S0ULDIER/brandon1.jpg

I know it's rather hard to tell... but he has some real glorious locks at the back of his head and a few really really nice ones here and there. They are all kind of tucked away under the unknotted hair and fuzz. It's absolutely amazing to see the progess they do though. I remember when I first backcombed his locks... they were only about 2 inches long and stuck straight up in the air. Looked like a really nasty spiked hairdo. Haha, they've grown lots since then. His locks are going to be 1 year old soon. He waxed once or twice... and he hasn't done a thing since.

His boss always takes a stab at him whenever he can though. He likes to joke around but he doesn't care that Brandon has messy hair. All he cares about is his skills. Not too often you meet employers like that around here.

Anyway he does absolutely nothing but wash. Ocasionally I catch him trying to see if his dreads can reach his nostrils or his mouth... but that's about it.

I applaud anyone who can just sit back and enjoy the ride... Those dreads truely become a testament to your patience as well as your acceptance and willingness to let things take their own course in their own time. I wish I had such liberties... Kind of jelous really...  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012 07:38:11 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
BambiKhantastic

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: August 24, 2006 07:54:51 PM »

Hey wallaby, I like your den. Smiley

Before Mr.Khantastic came along I dated a fella who had a full set of extensions in that lanyard plastic stuff...It works just fine! It was a little weird to wake up to it sticking to my face all the time, and he said it was pretty warm at times(since plastic can't breathe!) but it sounds like you're wrappping dreads in it, as opposed to letting the ends fly free(which is super cute too!)

Let us know how it works out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 24, 2006 09:15:32 PM »

Naked ninja (I'm so sorry I forgot your name!)- Your bf's hair is so lovely! Haha, people try to stick my hair up my nose too Tongue

BambiKnantastic- (your name isnt really bambi, is it? cause thats my moms name.) Thank you. I like my den too. I've seen the 'cyber dreads' with the lanyarding and plastic tubing and all. Sort of an inspiration for wrapping my hair in the stuff. Definentally a radical look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
BambiKhantastic

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: August 25, 2006 10:28:54 AM »

Bambi's not my real name, but everyone calls me that. I tried to get it changed when I got married, but they weren't having any of that. Sad There was something about Amy Nicole Bambi Wendt Hendricks that they didn't like. The Jerks.

Cyberdreads are superfun. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jpatti
« Reply #749 on: August 26, 2006 08:32:46 PM »

If you do know your dreads are full of wax, baby oil will get it out.  Wax will dissolve in baby oil.  You'd probably need an awful lot, and have to soak it quite a bit, and it's not at all a "natural" product.  But if you soak in baby oil, that will dissolve wax. 

It is going to leave your dreads really greasy, but the next few washes ought to get the grease out.  I'd be considered that the excess grease might unknot you some though, just like a lot of conditioner would. 

Soap and water will not do it.  Wax will not dissolve in water, even soapy water.  Ever try to clean up candle spills?  Wax is very nonpolar so you're not going to get it out with something polar like water.  It's basic chemistry stuff.

If you want to experiment, melt a bit of wax on a plate or something and let it harden.  Try soaking it in baby oil and see how long it takes to dissolve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Care for Hair Extensions
How to Choose a Blow Dry Hairstyle
How to Choose a Fringe
How to Choose a New Hairstyle
How to Choose the Best Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...