A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 227697 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 29, 2006 05:43:26 AM »

Wow, we have some severe wax hostility goings on here.
In my own marsupial-type opinion, if it works for you, do it. beeswax is an entirely natural substance people. Thinking about it, the worst that could probably happen is that the dreads have some wax lingering in them a couple years down the road. And from the sound of things, irish_chicky isn't dipping their dreads like candles in the stuff. I'd probably use beeswax over the knotty boy stuff if I decided to go back to waxing, because its less slimy, in my opinion. Thats all it is guys- an opinion, a personal preference.

Now, so you guys can wag the proverbial finger at me.

I use hairspray in my hair!

It is literally the only thing that will make my hair knot up and stay knotted. I use bar shampoo, but when I feel like I'm getting some build up, I use anti-res poo. And thats that. Be at peace friends, we share some amazing hair here, reguardless of methods we use for keeping it amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
irish_chicky
« Reply #761 on: August 29, 2006 06:37:06 AM »

thanks the wallaby... hairspray eh? I never thought of that, maybe i'll try that method sometime. How long have you been useing hairspray to keep your dreads knoted?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: August 29, 2006 08:12:38 AM »

Wow, we have some severe wax hostility goings on here.
In my own marsupial-type opinion, if it works for you, do it. beeswax is an entirely natural substance people. Thinking about it, the worst that could probably happen is that the dreads have some wax lingering in them a couple years down the road. And from the sound of things, irish_chicky isn't dipping their dreads like candles in the stuff. I'd probably use beeswax over the knotty boy stuff if I decided to go back to waxing, because its less slimy, in my opinion. Thats all it is guys- an opinion, a personal preference.

Now, so you guys can wag the proverbial finger at me.

I use hairspray in my hair!

It is literally the only thing that will make my hair knot up and stay knotted. I use bar shampoo, but when I feel like I'm getting some build up, I use anti-res poo. And thats that. Be at peace friends, we share some amazing hair here, reguardless of methods we use for keeping it amazing.

That's cool. Everyone is entitled to do what they want... We aren't the dreadlock police... No one is being burned at the steak here.
I just don't appreciate people asking for help and complaining about their situation then reeming out on those who are providing advice and then saying that they love their hair like it is. Well if they love it like it is they shouldn't complain. Period. 

I don't want to start a huge debate or fight, but you said you would use beeswax over knotty boy because it is natural, yet you use hairspray. Dude... you contradicted yourself. 

Knotty Boy is 100% natural. I wouldn't praise the shit if it wasn't. I used to use DDHQ but switched over because Knotty Boy's wax is natural.
Ingredients:
Beeswax, Certified Organic Hempseed Oil, Avocado Oil, Kukui Nut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Shea Nut Butter, Vitamin E Oil, Walnut Extract - in the dark wax

I won't even go into what's in hairspray. Also if you are using an aerosol spray be aware that it is bad for the environment. But if you feel it works for you, do it. I won't tell you otherwise.
I will tell you though, that if you did use a proper shampoo or shampoo bar you wouldn't need something to hold your locks together. Regular bar soap generally is filled with moisturizers and artificial scents... which, you guessed it, leaves behind residues. Residues in turn, prevent knots from forming or holding.

On the topic of beeswax and wax:
People have always had a love hate relationship with dread wax. People usually hate wax because it stays in their dreads for a long time. This is usually due to misuse of the product, or the amount of beeswax in the product. Beeswax is found in all dreadlock waxes, but using pure beeswax is very different. It will stay in your dreads. It is not water soluble. If your dreads have a core of beeswax in them, there are tons of bad things that can happen. First and foremost, it will begin to attract foreign matter. The wax can also keep your dreads moist longer after showering/swimming which can result in a bad mold problem. Also the wax isn't allowing your hairs to move around freely to form knots which means your hair is not dreading itself. It will require more assistance, and foolishly most people tend to use more wax in these circumstances, believing it will cure their problem. If anyone dares to say that these things aren't a big deal, I'd love to hear your opinions when you do encounter one or possibly all of these issues.
The thing that almost everyone neglects to realize or tries to disprove is that hair knots naturally. It doesn't matter what kind of hair you have, under the right conditions (residue free shampoo, no conditionners) your hair will knot too. (Now this is where someone will come along and say "Well I need to use __________ product on my hair so that it will knot because otherwise it won't". Well that is a load of BS. I used to think like that too, so don't feel like poo, we all go through these things. The thing is that as humans we want results now, not later. Natural knotting can take days, weeks, months, and even years, but it does happen. When you already have dreads this natural knotting goes a little faster. Also, products (regardless of what their labels read) are never the answer to speeding up the process. Likely they will do nothing but hinder the process leaving behind residue. Some, if used properly can help... but only if used properly.
Has anyone ever tried wearing a wool tam to sleep? I can almost guarrantee that you'll experience some knotting action doing this. Wearing a tam in general helps the knotting process because your hair rubs against the yarn which in turn helps to form knots.

Anyway I just hate seeing the results of folks blindly and ignorantly using things that are crap for their hair, or overusing a product that is guaranteed to cause them suffering later on and possibly even the loss of their beautiful locks.
If anyone doesn't believe this, they should go and do a quick little search on knottylocks.tk. TONS of people who have misused wax or beeswax cut their dreads and start anew for these reasons.
People who have this kind of buildup generally end up hating their dreads later on because they don't mature like normal locks and they seem to require more maintenance.. I've also noticed that overwaxed dreads almost always end up looking dull and lifeless probably because they are suffocating in residue and buildup.
Some dude on knottylocks even had a few dreads turn green because the wax inside got rancid...
I'm not wax hatin'... I don't have wax issues seeing as I myself use wax from time to time... and no one here is telling people what to do. I for one am just sharing information.
I don't care if you don't believe it, I'm just putting it out there.
Discredit me all you want...

Anyway I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but I seem to feel the need to repeat the same stuff over and over and over again in hopes that maybe someone will learn from it.  Wink

I'm not doing it out of spite or meanness either... Heck if I didn't care I would just sit back and laugh. I wouldn't bother trying to help.

I also want to take this opportunity to say that this is exactly why dreadlocks aren't for everyone. People assume that it's like any other hairstyle.... with a little product, a little tweeking, and snap! Dreadlock. It doesn't work like that. If you abuse your dreads, and constantly abuse them, they will never turn out the way normal dreads do and you will be utterly unsatisfied with them. People really need to go into this with an attitude that says "I'm patient, I accept what they are now, and I'll accept that they may never look the way so and so's dread do." Like I mentioned earlier, it is normal and ok to make mistakes... new growth is an opportunity to turn things around.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006 08:21:48 AM by Naked_Ninja » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
irish_chicky
« Reply #763 on: August 29, 2006 01:45:18 PM »

I, what you called, "smothered" my dreads in beeswax when i first did them, and after the period i was told to keep it in, to work them and such, I'd say 98% of it washed out. just with hot water, so you myth of it staying in no matter what is kinda shattered when it comes to me. it's just that 2% that I was wondering about, I never said that it bothered the hell out of me, and that i was not going to like my dreads just cause it was there, Everytime that you have replyed to something that I have said you have twisted something, or left out key facts that made what I said make sence. I like the fact that they are not purfect, and that they are not like the peoples you see on "knottyboy".
Also you push these products on people so much, let ppl choose their own products. I liked the beeswax to tell the trueth, no in teh excessive amounts that I WAS using it in, but in the fact that it was maliable, and workable, and it rinsed out after about7 or 8 rinses.
You say that you are not wax haten' yet you bash it so much. you are being a bit hipocritical there.
If somthing works for you, and you dont mind using it, and if you see no adverse effects on your hair after a while of doing whatever you are doing to get knotted up, do it. It's yuor hair, that's the fun of it.
Believe me i know that you have to be patient to have dreads, the maintenece takes time, the work that it needs is time consumeing, bet wether you decided to go the all natural way if letting it do its thing, or do it yourself is totally up to the dread bearer. I see no problem in doing either of these.
My advice to people deciding how to do their dreads, look up all the different ways of doing them, look at the pros and cons for all of them, adn decide which method is best for you. Then go for it. mistakes happen, ppl cant avoid it, but its life for ppl to make mistakes and learn from them. Sure you can tell others about your mistakes and share, maybe even getting a few ppl to think that maybe they wont try what ou tryed r do what u did, but not everyone gets the same results doing teh same things.
sit back
relax
read up
think a lot
make a disicion
and do what YOU want to do, not what someone else wants you to do
AND HAVE FUN AND LOTS OF PATIENCE!
what works for you, works for you. what works for me works for me. As long as you are happy with your dreads, who the f* cares?!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
Souldier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #764 on: August 29, 2006 03:59:17 PM »

Seriously... You need to read what I write before replying and trying to rip on me.

I, in no way have ever pushed products on anyone.
Whenever people ask about products I usually refer to Knotty Boy because I know their products since I've used them. I've also used Dread Head Hq and was extremely disapointed.
I've also told people about naani's products...
I've even told people about natural home-made recipies...
I would much rather refer people to a product I know and trust than refer them to a product that I know nothing of.

Also, I always say that you need absolutely nothing to maintain dreadlocks except for a good non-residue shampoo.

I've never said that dreadlocks are a lot of work... because they were never intended to be. Maintenance is optional... not a requirement.

If you want to hear people bash wax, go to knottylocks.tk...
I don't hate wax seeing as I use it myself... 

Anyway here is some more reading for those who think that I'm a wax basher...
This is from naani.com... Geez... I guess I push these products on people too.
Excerpt from The Dreadlocks Commandments

i. thou shalt not use 100% beeswax or petroleum based products
heavy pomades and styling elements lead to unhealthy dreadlocks.

As your dreadlocks mature, removing the residue they leave behind will prove tedious, if not impossible. it's best to use light oils/pomades or those that melt/absorb quickly as they are easier to wash away and are less likely to result in the formation of mildew.

100% Beeswax refers to using beeswax stand alone or in too high a concentration.  Depending on the formulation, beeswax isn't necessarily bad for your hair.  As with all products, it's how much you or the manufacturer uses. 

If the beeswax concentration is high, then the product will be thick, gooey or extremely stiff.  It will have a higher melting point and as a result, it'll be difficult to wash out of your hair. 

If the product has a good concentration then you'll be aware that something's on your hair (it will shine better, hold better, etc) but it won't weigh it down or feel thick.  It'll have a lower melting point so it will react to your body heat and hot water.  Meaning it will shampoo out easily.

Look at it this way...have you ever gotten up in the morning, lotioned yourself down only to find that a few hours later your legs, elbows and hands are ashy again?  Wonder why?

Well your lotion is probably water-based.  The water evaporates and you're left with ashy skin.  So the better quality the lotion, the less you have to worry about lubricating those ashy knuckles. 

That's pretty much the idea of using beeswax in products. If the concentration is right, you only need a little and a little goes a long way.  It's not that the beeswax based product is thick either (some are, some arent).  It just doesn't evaporate or wear away as easily as other products.  As a result, you can use a lot less and reap the benefits a lot longer.

Here's where the problem comes in.  Ever heard of too much of a good thing?  Too high a beeswax concentration and it'll take longer for the product to wear/wash away.  If you're a product junkie, then you may over-applicate and if that's the case, the problem is you...not the wax.  Over-application will make ANY product difficult to wash out.

If you had to do a comparison of beeswax products, they usually fall into one of two category examples: Vaseline vs. Eucerin (a high-quality lotion recommended by dermatologists). 

Both of these products will keep you lubricated.  Both require very few reapplications.  The only difference is, at the end of the day, the Eucerin can be washed away.  It can be used on all body parts (including your face because it won't clog pores).

The Vaseline however will spend half the day rubbing off on your clothes, chairs, anything you've come in contact with.  Use it on your face and not only will you clog your pores but a shine at that level is never regarded as healthy or cute.

So when you're thinking about beeswax, try looking at it in these terms.  You want Eucerin quality vs. Vaseline.  They both have the same objective but clearly one is better than the other at achieving its aims.

There you go... straight from the mouth of a pro...
They even call it a commandment...
Thou shall not use 100% pure beeswax...
Geez... the whole world must be wax hating along with me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006 04:00:53 PM by Naked_Ninja » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

Red Alibi

Change IS a Sound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: August 29, 2006 04:18:59 PM »

Dude.. irish_chicky

FYI:

We kinda love Naked Ninja around these here parts also known as the dreadlock thread.

She has never pushed anything on us, just given her 2 cents and a HELL OF A LOT OF ADVICE, and ALL good.

And as for everyone else, I'm sure we all just want peace and the possibility of having a pleasurable thread to go through without people asking for help and then getting angry when they find out that they didn't know best or haven't been doing things the best way possible.

Hey! They're your dreads, not mine. If you keep givin off a hostile feeling every time you post here you will have no help what so ever in the future from most of us I'm sure.

Craftster is fun, join the programme
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006 04:21:28 PM by Fckadog » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Souldier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: August 29, 2006 04:25:32 PM »

Fckadog!! Is that your new hairdo in your avatar? It's nice!!! I like it. I like the color!!!

Also thanks for backing me up buddy.
Also I'm through with doing all these elaborate searches just to help people who ask for it and then complain when they hear the truth...

I don't know why I care so much...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Red Alibi

Change IS a Sound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: August 29, 2006 04:38:19 PM »

No problem!

You've helped us all millions of times, you don't need (nor does anyone else here) people being.. very unkind (or a complete total b*tch with a huge lack of respect).
And you care because that's who you are. Don't change because of one or 2 nasty comments, it's not worth it.

and no, it's my pre dread hair.. little update:

I tried the knotty boy dread removal kit. Didn't work (smelled WONDERFUL, still have loads of the shampoo left.. who wants it  Wink it's great) but I'm assuming it was because of the perm.

So, after 6 traumatizing hours in a bath tub (very hairy bath tub) I decided to trim my hair with one of those machine things (can't for the life of me think of the name.. a trimmer?).
I now have a sorta mohauwk, 100% natural non bleached hair. I'm going to grow it (haha.. again!) and dread it yet again, myself, with a mirror, and a comb, and a lot of elbow grease, MINIMUM OF WAX  Tongue (ok, that was the end of my mean streak).

I'll post what It looks like now tomorrow.. I need to start getting into washing it daily again..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Souldier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: August 29, 2006 04:44:22 PM »

Wowza  Shocked 6 hours in a tub!!! Haha can you say pruney fingers and toes? hehehe I hate that.

I'm glad I know that stuff doesn't work. Although like you said, it may be because of your dreadperm... but in some ways I doubt it.
I think it's mostly aimed at very new and fresh dreadlocks.

Also mohawkish hair is awesome! Can't wait to see it!
I always admire all these cool hairstyles... all my life I've been searching for a cut or style that would work... nothing ever looked right... plus I'm lazy and hate blowdryers/curling irons/curlers/crimpers/hairdressers in general/products... so naturally dreads work for me. I love how some people think I wake up at 3 in the morning to do my hair everyday. Hahaha... if they only knew...

Heck I never thought about what it would be like to wash my hair every day again. That is going to be weird for you.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Red Alibi

Change IS a Sound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: August 29, 2006 04:54:25 PM »

I hate taking time to do my hair..
With what I have now I just spray it with some knotty boy moisture spray that I still have and it kinda does whatever I want the rest of the day. Or I use my dreadwax..

It's nice to atleast smell like I still have my dreads  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vintage Bowles - Discovering Comme Des Garçons in Paris
Jeanius - Chloe Malle on Wearing Pop Over Shirts
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Slip Dress
Angelina Jolie: A Hollywood Style Star
How to Do Country Casual Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...