A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 256784 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #720 on: August 23, 2006 08:36:28 PM »

well, that's what the "edit" button is for, I suppose.

I keep meaning to get one of those little crochet hooks. I asked my liqour store owner what he uses, and he tried to explain it to me, but couldn't remember. I'll get a pic of his dreads, and his recipe next week. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #721 on: August 23, 2006 09:54:59 PM »

BambiKhantastic :
Bah there is nothing wrong with using rubber bands and cheating...
The only problem is leaving rubber bands in for a long time...

As for not needing that much wax the hairdresser that did my dreads was taught by a woman in africa who told her that that's the way to do it, she told me to do it that way, so i did, and I still have aweosme dreads either way.

Do you have african textured hair?
If not... I take it seeing as you have a DIFFERENT HAIR TEXTURE a method used on african textured hair may not work for you. I also never said you didn't have awesome dreads... I find them quite awesome.

You know... wax companies also tell people to glob on their product because that's the way they say it should be done... and really that does no good whatsoever. Well it does their bank acounts a lot of good...
Contrary to popular belief... Wax does not form knots. Wax does not help knots form. Wax does nothing but hold the knots together in those early stages to keep your dreads from unravelling during those first washes.
Wax can also help to moisturize dry locks.
Globby stuff in general (including all forms of gel, wax, and even beeswax) will do nothing but HINDER the locking process when used in excess which may be the reason why you need to fiddle with your locks so much to begin with.
Not to be rude... but it's common sense. A hairdresser above all should know this. I won't even get into the horror stories I've heard about hairdressers and dreadlocks.

Also, I was merely providing you with information... I was not telling you what to do. I don't give out orders or commands. Whatever people do with that information is entirely up to them. I could care less if you turn around and smother your locks with toothpaste when you finish reading this... they are you're locks and you are entitled to do what you will with them. (actually I probably would care a little...)

hey guys, i've had my dreads for about a year now, and I have a couple questions I would like to ask. Due to the lack of knowledge i used bees wax to dread my hair, which I found was a big nono, and now even a year later I still have wax in them, I heard that if you use baby oil it will come out, and my dreads are locked quite well so i'm not to worried about them coming out.. so will this work? Also I have a lot of little places that are not locked at all down the shaft of my locks, is there a way to fix this? Oh and also I need a natural, recipie for a locking agent for my roots, i've used wax, and other gel products in the past, just looking for something new!
 I've been workign the area forever and still nothing, what do u guys think?

If you read your post carefully... you clearly ask for advice.
Next time you don't want anyone to give you advice... Don't ask for it! Simple as that my friend.

Don't want to be rude... but there you have it.... in a nutshell to boot.

Just another 2 cents... Just because you've had your dreads for 1 year, does not mean you know all there is to know. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have asked those questions if you did. Heck I'm still learning... people who have their locks for 10 years are still learning. This thread is still going because we are all still learning from each other...

I won't hold your rudeness against you... just so you know. I'm a better person than that.  Cheesy

Have a good night Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
glittersniffer
OneOfTheWeirdo's!

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 23, 2006 10:51:50 PM »

smoker <3 naked ninja Cheesy Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us!: facebook.com/gscosmetics

^^^Colorful Happiness ^^^
irish_chicky
« Reply #723 on: August 24, 2006 05:48:41 AM »

it's not just knots because the parts are also pliable , if i pick at itI can get some off. ok, i'm not going to argue about this anymore. IT'S WAX! I just wanted to know if nayine had good ways of getting it out, other then soap and water?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
Souldier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #724 on: August 24, 2006 06:21:52 AM »

I have no problem with the hard parts, as I thought that's what dreadlocks did... get hard.

My bottom hair is pretty hard.. and I haven't waxed them since a week after I put my dreads in.

It is normal. Don't worry. The more your hair knots, the harder it gets. Technically dreadlocks aren't dreadlocks till they get hard.

smoker:
I heart you too.  Kiss

irish_chicky:
Actually... I just thought of something.
Knottyboy (god damn I should just be their spokesperson) has a dreadlock removal kit that contains a deap penetrating shampoo that takes out all the wax. That's exactly that it's made for. If you bought that and only used the shampoo you'd be all set. Don't use the conditionner unless you want to try and be rid of your locks though.

Using the natural properties found in citrus peel, this gentle yet powerful shampoo dissolves Knotty Boy Dread Wax in dreads and softens them for easy removal, while hemp seed oil, grapefruit seed extract, and oat proteins restore moisture and nutrients that are essential for healthy, soft and great-looking hair.

http://www.knottyboy.com/shop/dreadlock_removal_kit/knotty_boy_emergency_dreadlock_removal_kit/

Knotty Boy wax is beeswax based... so this should work.
Fckadog used it and said that the shampoo doesn't remove your locks, it just cleanses all the crud out of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

irish_chicky
« Reply #725 on: August 24, 2006 06:42:01 AM »

hmm, do u think there is a recepie for  homemade shampoo that whould do the same thing? I dont like buying store bought stuff very often. all about eco friendly lol.... oh and btw, i'm sorry about the other post guys, as I said before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #726 on: August 24, 2006 06:52:49 AM »

oh and also about your other post, sorry i pissed you off lol, i was in a crappy mood too, always am when im tierd, i talk out my butt. I did ask for advice, and reading over your old reply I know that you only ment well and were only trying to help. please forgive me Sad *hugs*?
anyways about the african woman teaching my hair dresser she tought her how to do it on all hair types, not just afro americans. Oh well, whatever happened in the beginning of getting my dreads is over now.
I never ment to imply that you didnt think my dreads werent awesome, and I"m not saying that you think they are, i was just sayig that I think they are awesome lol. Also I dont think I claimed that I know everything... though I couls be wrong, but I deffinatly dont now it all about dreads, as you said it is a continuous learning process. I did know what you commented about the wax though, and what it does. It would be inpossible for it to form knotes.
Oh well my wax days are over, like i said I havnt used it in over 9 months now, so no more talk of waxing being bad, i know this already lol. Though it is good for beginners to know.
I really do appreciate all the advice though, once again I will no longer post stuff at night time lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Red Alibi

Change IS a Sound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: August 24, 2006 07:06:14 AM »

ok.. not going off making more issues here but:

wax is not bad.
atleast not in all cases and used in MODERATION
this has been said before and it is still true.
and it is ALWAYS different for people. some need it, others don't

off of that subject now

irish_chicky, you want something to remove your wax right? well what Naked Ninja said, the knotty boy dreadlock remover kit shampoo is great, dreads are just wax free and it takes out more dirt and grime than the regular shampoo does.

if you wont want a store bought whatnot then i suggest you use something with a high acidity like vinegar or even better lemon juice.
you know how when you wash dishes you dishwashing detergent dissolves the grease? same idea only with some added soap.

if you go a hell of a lot of pages back Naked ninja also posted a recipie for deep cleansing dreads, you could do that too, might help get rid of some wax too.

with all of this, warm water, as hot as you can handle will always help to 'move the wax around' if not out of your dread

and finally:
if none of the suggestions we make will work then this is whats left:
dish washing soap
i know it sounds awfull but hell, it does the trick. but you might want to condition your dreads with aloe afterwards so they dont go brittle!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #728 on: August 24, 2006 07:20:36 AM »

ah, that's a good idea, not sure i want to put dishwasging liquid in my dreads though, resedue gelore lol. Might try finding i homemade product on the net or something that might work though. thanks Fckadog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Souldier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #729 on: August 24, 2006 07:24:17 AM »

Knotty Boy is eco friendly. You can even pay extra to get eco-friendly packaging. It's only a dollar extra. Also half of that dollar goes to their fund for sponsoring children from underprivilaged countries.

I quite like Knotty Boy... They are an all-around good company in my opinion, also they are Canadian... and I quite love supporting home-grown companies. Don't get me wrong, if Knotty Boy was anywhere else, I'd still be supporting them because I like their products.

ok.. not going off making more issues here but:
wax is not bad.
atleast not in all cases and used in MODERATION
this has been said before and it is still true.
and it is ALWAYS different for people. some need it, others don't

Which is exactly what you and I have been repeating for 70+ pages. My thoughts exactly. HAhaha
Unfortunately most people don't get the whole "moderation" bit about wax usage though. Then they run into trouble...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tackle the Holidays Like a Boss
Nicholas Sparks on His Novels
David Johnson by Sean Messer
Author Andrew Solomon on Strengths in Difference
Monday the Bullfrog and October the Octopus
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...