A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 239903 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mommadear
« Reply #1730 on: August 08, 2009 01:16:12 PM »

So after spending the past couple of days reading all 174 pages (I must admit I'm proud of myself Cheesy) I have a few questions that I don't think were really answered or I forgot along the way.
I have wanted dreads for 8+ years but have never been able to get them due to mostly parents and a boyfriend I had (yes I had one that told me if I ever got them he would leave me and I was dumb enough to stay with him at that point). I am now ready mentally and physically to get them Smiley (although I think I will wait until Sept 1st) until then I have decided to either buy the right shampoo and start using it right away or go the no poo method to get rid of all the extra gunk in my hair and for it to balance out. So finally onto the questions has anyone used the no poo method with dreads?? Also I will be looking for a new job soon and was wondering if anyone has had any negative experiences looking for a job, I plan to keep them maintained (although I do love everyones on here maintained or natural) but would like to know anyones experiences with this situation. Any help would be appreciated Smiley thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #1731 on: August 10, 2009 03:32:06 PM »

So after spending the past couple of days reading all 174 pages (I must admit I'm proud of myself Cheesy) I have a few questions that I don't think were really answered or I forgot along the way.
I have wanted dreads for 8+ years but have never been able to get them due to mostly parents and a boyfriend I had (yes I had one that told me if I ever got them he would leave me and I was dumb enough to stay with him at that point). I am now ready mentally and physically to get them Smiley (although I think I will wait until Sept 1st) until then I have decided to either buy the right shampoo and start using it right away or go the no poo method to get rid of all the extra gunk in my hair and for it to balance out. So finally onto the questions has anyone used the no poo method with dreads?? Also I will be looking for a new job soon and was wondering if anyone has had any negative experiences looking for a job, I plan to keep them maintained (although I do love everyones on here maintained or natural) but would like to know anyones experiences with this situation. Any help would be appreciated Smiley thanks in advance!

hey, there are a lot of ppl that go the no poo method, the only problem I could see with never useing anything is oil buildup, but if you do a acv rince every once and a while i cant see why it would be a problem.

As for the job thing, it's hard, depending on where you live it can be down right impossible. There are a lot of places that wont hire you because it's in their "dress code" to have presentable hair/clothing, and not all places will let you wear a tam or hat to keep them hidden. It also depends on where you are looking for a job. Call centers generally dont care since you arnt seen you are just on a phone but a lot of retail outlets may not hire you because of it.

My personal experience is, I am an rmt (registered massage therapist) never had problems with clients and my hair since they were coming for a get away not a fashion show ;P but I was looking for a part time job ontop of that and looked/had interviews for 6 months with no fruit for my labour. I ended up cutting, because they were getting heavy and leaving soars on my head, but literally right after I cut I got a job at a retail outlet. Go figure Tongue

So yeah, it's hard, but hang in there and you will find something, or get a job, wait until your 3 month probation is over and then get them Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1732 on: August 10, 2009 06:48:16 PM »

Irish_Chicky - I never noticed before that you were Canadian (RMT tipped me off...lol) You don't ahve to answer, but Ontario, or BC?

I'm in school to become an RMT, and I've combed mine out at the directors direction (they really push a "professional image" at our school), and because they started to look like rat's tails (I like free-trading dread work for sewing, but I should have paid more attention - she LOADED my hair with wax...couldn't get the residue out for MONTHS!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irish_chicky
« Reply #1733 on: August 10, 2009 07:35:09 PM »

Irish_Chicky - I never noticed before that you were Canadian (RMT tipped me off...lol) You don't ahve to answer, but Ontario, or BC?

I'm in school to become an RMT, and I've combed mine out at the directors direction (they really push a "professional image" at our school), and because they started to look like rat's tails (I like free-trading dread work for sewing, but I should have paid more attention - she LOADED my hair with wax...couldn't get the residue out for MONTHS!)

Neither NB lol. If you are going to open your own shop then there should have been no reason to comb out your dreads but atleast now you can start over without all the wax and gunk Tongue I use to just wear mine up in a pony tail when I gave massages. I never had any comments or complaints about my hair, in school or out. They were 2 years old when I finished school Sad I still miss them, I may get them back someday, but who knows.

Good luck in school, it's hard but worth it! Are you in ON or BC?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1734 on: August 11, 2009 05:48:34 AM »

I'm in ON...

when did NB regulate? I think our teachers may be lacking in that info. Most have quit the OMTA because they don't get anything done (keeping CMTO) so re out of the loop on further regulations in other provinces. I personally think it should be regulated everywhere, but, meh?

Yeah I keep telling myself I'm gonna put them back in when my hair gets "this long" now. It's past my shoulders, which is longer than it's been in 11 years lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommadear
« Reply #1735 on: August 11, 2009 07:40:03 AM »

hey, there are a lot of ppl that go the no poo method, the only problem I could see with never useing anything is oil buildup, but if you do a acv rince every once and a while i cant see why it would be a problem.

As for the job thing, it's hard, depending on where you live it can be down right impossible. There are a lot of places that wont hire you because it's in their "dress code" to have presentable hair/clothing, and not all places will let you wear a tam or hat to keep them hidden. It also depends on where you are looking for a job. Call centers generally dont care since you arnt seen you are just on a phone but a lot of retail outlets may not hire you because of it.

My personal experience is, I am an rmt (registered massage therapist) never had problems with clients and my hair since they were coming for a get away not a fashion show ;P but I was looking for a part time job ontop of that and looked/had interviews for 6 months with no fruit for my labour. I ended up cutting, because they were getting heavy and leaving soars on my head, but literally right after I cut I got a job at a retail outlet. Go figure Tongue

So yeah, it's hard, but hang in there and you will find something, or get a job, wait until your 3 month probation is over and then get them Tongue

Well my goal is to get a job at hobby lobby (not sure if you have those up there). And I have seen quite a few people where I live with jobs (even in food service) that have dreadlocks so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed Smiley
And I do plan to keep it maintained as well as possible although I suppose there's not much I can do if I'm having a crazy hair day on my interview day  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #1736 on: August 11, 2009 12:04:10 PM »

I'm in ON...

when did NB regulate? I think our teachers may be lacking in that info. Most have quit the OMTA because they don't get anything done (keeping CMTO) so re out of the loop on further regulations in other provinces. I personally think it should be regulated everywhere, but, meh?

Yeah I keep telling myself I'm gonna put them back in when my hair gets "this long" now. It's past my shoulders, which is longer than it's been in 11 years lol

no NB isnt regulated yet but we are fighting for it to be, so it's not for lack of trying. There's a anual general meeting for the ANBMT in a few months and I'll know more about what's been happening then. Our association is based off of the CMTO though.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMina
« Reply #1737 on: December 28, 2009 06:53:06 PM »

Hello everyone, I have a problem. I have a lot of loose hairs. And I do needle work to put them back in, and within about 2 days the same pieces are back out of my dreads already. Anyone have any tips or hints as how to keep the loose hairs in? Or maybe a different technique of tying them in that works better?

I'm a future Professional (student) I've been doing dreads at my previous school and at home for the past nine months and I found that a tiny latch hook, the lil hooks that come with yarn rug kits, are fabulous for cleaning up stranglers aka loose hair. All you simply do is simply grab the hair with the loop and pull it through the dread it self randomly each time, apply your favorite wax, pomade, accelerator, what ever you prefer and palm roll those loose ends into submission!

Also on the great debate of product, I use mostly Paul Mitchell products for dreading along with knotty boy wax and knotting supplies. mainly because I love the outcome of the dreads.
I would for shampoo a clarifying one I recommend the PM tea tree shampoo or the PM clarifying shampoo because I have had guests that use dread head and knotty boy and have not felt their scalp as clean as when they come in and get their dreads tightened by me ( I first wash their dreads to get ALL the loose hair usually with the tea tree shampoo and I send them home with the tea tree essential oil so their scalp doesn't flake). hope I helped some!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009 07:04:35 PM by MissMina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hair,cars,yarn,and resin. I've got it covered!
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1738 on: December 29, 2009 06:42:10 AM »

It's a sad day for me...I have to admit that I think dreads aren't going to work for me...
I have tried three times now...first time was demanded to take them out by my work, or get fired. Second time, I let someone do maintenance on them, and she used a ton of wax (which I don't use) and they started to get mouldy. Third time, all was going well again. I went outside for a cigarette and managed to light them on fire while in a pony tail Sad I lost a couple of them immediately and had to cut off all the burnt crap. It left me with a short choppy mess that looked like crap. Sad
Now, my hair is about 2 inches long again....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Must Have Summer Lipstick Shades
Beach Peach Makeup Tutorial for Summer
Essence Beauty Editors Share Their Hair Secrets
How to Make a Ponytail Look Polished and Professional
How to Make Your Manicure Last
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...