A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 221799 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1280 on: September 26, 2007 05:43:15 AM »

^ if your hair is naturally oily just wash more often, once a day even, just dont brush your hair. Remember, ALL hair types can knot, so ALL hair types can have locks, some just take longer then others.

A lot of ppl dont see results from naturals for about 6 months to a year. Naturals take a lot of patience and just forgetting you have hair lol

What's this v stich for crocheting? Is there some other word for it?

cheers

Actually washing more often is bad for dreads, or any hair. My hair gets really oily. If you don't wash it for a few days, then wash it, you start to train your hair to produce less oil. If you keep washing the oil away, it keeps making more and more until you HAVE to wash it everyday or it wil lbe unbearable.

Try it out. It works and your hair will feel cleaner and dread easier because of it.

True! Your scalp adjusts to your routine...
Can't forget that we do not condition our dreads like we do normal hair (the oils from our scalp don't make it all the way down the dread, in normal hair brushing helps with that), and washing everyday will make them excessively dry which is no good either. Excessively dry dreads = breakage.

Yarrr... I really didn't want to post in this thread anymore... but I've been watching it anyway.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
ragamufyn

White Chocolate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1281 on: September 26, 2007 01:20:21 PM »

Here's a more recent picture of my locks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ragamufyn/1443581437
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007 01:29:09 PM by ragamufyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #1282 on: September 26, 2007 01:28:40 PM »

:O Your dreads are so long and beautiful!! How long have you had them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
ragamufyn

White Chocolate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1283 on: September 26, 2007 01:30:07 PM »

coming on 11 years now?  wow... can that be true?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #1284 on: September 26, 2007 01:31:42 PM »

wow, well they look great, I'm guessing they have grown a lot. You chould make up a littel timeline of pictures if you can, would be awesome to see
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cadillac.tramp
Born to Lose, Destined to Fail.

With a Golden Heart comes a Rebel Fist

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 26, 2007 02:23:48 PM »

holy shnikey yall have some nice dreads.
Once my hair all grows out to one length, I'm planning on getting dreads.  I don't want the normal thick dreads (my hair's kinda thin), I want thinner "baby" dreads.  Is this plausible or will it not work?  I want to make sure I have all the facts straight before I commit to it.  Thanks ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When there's no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth.

www.myspace.com/xboondockxsaintx
irish_chicky
« Reply #1286 on: September 26, 2007 03:47:52 PM »

oh course it will work! Skinny dreads are cute, I personlly wouldnt want super small ones, the thicker the root the better I think! haha

are u backcombing? if you are just section your hair into smaller chunks , backcomb one, see how u like them small, then kee going, dont add any product or wax or anything, just backcomb really really well, and have lots of patience. You can palmroll every once and a while if you like, like after washing your hair, or just when you are bored.

Good luck on your dready journey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

outofthequestion
« Reply #1287 on: September 27, 2007 12:22:51 PM »

I just wanted to say... I have gone through this entire thread throughout the past few days. What a wealth of information! I have wanted dreads forever, but I'm not "allowed" to have them. I have actually put one in here and there before, but always quickly combed it out.... I'm thinking about just doing it and NOT CARING... Dreads are beautiful, and everyone who has shared their pictures in this thread have gorgeous dreads. I wish there weren't any red X's... All that being said, I have a couple questions...

Rosemary: This might be stupid, but where do you buy it??

headcoverings: Do dreads need to be covered a lot? Is that why all the hats/tams, etc?

Has anyone put in your own dreads by yourself? How did your result turn out? If I do put in dreads, I'll be on my own...

Thanks for any help!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
irish_chicky
« Reply #1288 on: September 27, 2007 01:41:31 PM »

I just wanted to say... I have gone through this entire thread throughout the past few days. What a wealth of information! I have wanted dreads forever, but I'm not "allowed" to have them. I have actually put one in here and there before, but always quickly combed it out.... I'm thinking about just doing it and NOT CARING... Dreads are beautiful, and everyone who has shared their pictures in this thread have gorgeous dreads. I wish there weren't any red X's... All that being said, I have a couple questions...

Rosemary: This might be stupid, but where do you buy it??

headcoverings: Do dreads need to be covered a lot? Is that why all the hats/tams, etc?

Has anyone put in your own dreads by yourself? How did your result turn out? If I do put in dreads, I'll be on my own...

Thanks for any help!  Smiley

You can get rosemary oil in most health food stores and in the organic section of your grocery store.

As for headcoverings, no u dont have to cover them up a lot, it's just like a person without dreads wears hats.. so do ppl with dreads. Keep them warm in the winter, put in pretty wraps for fun. It's nice to have them too if your work doesnt like your dreads, or whatnot.

I say go for it! In the beginning your dreads will not look all that tight, loose, and poofy, personally I say dont put any products, wax, or gels on them, except mabe some aloe vera( but not a whole lot to tame some frizzies). Just plam roll them and let them do their own thing.

You can try and do it yourself, but it would be super hard to get the back of your head, I'd say recruit a friend that you REALLY trust to help out.

Backcomb them REALLY well and you shouldnt have to many problems with them unwinding, though they still might a bit.

Stick it to the man!! haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1289 on: September 27, 2007 03:29:21 PM »

I did them all myself except a few in the back, and those ones still are not quite right. Wink  I just feel better knowing I did them myself.  After the three days it took I could barely use my arms because my elbows were so sore.
I need to put my dreads in a hair or a wrap because I am outside a lot and I get tangled in the woods, or full of grass, or like recently I am working in streams and they are trailing in the water...
I say go for it, and don't forget to take "before" pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mesquite Tree Used for Woodwork in Texas
How to Make Homemade Lanterns
How to Make a Glitter Garland
The McSpadden Dulcimers
How to Make a Wool Pom-Pom
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!
Meatless Monday: Marinated Pasta Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...