A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 230004 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

milkweed*
Once...there was this kid who...

easy peasy pumkin peasy pumkin pie motherf*ckers

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: September 12, 2007 08:35:49 PM »

argggg looking at all these new dread pics makes me miss mine! everyone wish my hair to grow faster so it will be long enough to start new dreadies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh, look at him!" "He's checking out his hair!" "Get off our bus you filthy man." *knock* "'Ello Baybee!"

http://myspace.com/gwuncey
"A TRUE friend stabs you in the front"
MCRguitarMCR
on the brink of finding commotion

I love My Chemical Romance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1271 on: September 12, 2007 08:52:13 PM »

argggg looking at all these new dread pics makes me miss mine! everyone wish my hair to grow faster so it will be long enough to start new dreadies!
Yeah. That would be awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

viri
« Reply #1272 on: September 13, 2007 02:59:25 PM »

Right now I'm crocheting one. I'm using the v stitch in order to get it strechy. It's won't be too warm but looks nice anyway. I'm around 15 cm and I want to do a bit more. What I did to get the size right: made the chain row with constant trying it on.

Also I knitted Knitty's calometry and I think it's perfect for dreads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
Miss Mermaid Strikes Back

spirit day was crazy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1273 on: September 13, 2007 07:04:35 PM »

my natural dreads totally didnt work for me ((my hair is naturally VERY oily...as is my skin and nails...grr)) but i occassionally do plaited in wool double enders, and to tie them back i use calorimetry bands, pantas work well also, but are more of a pain to knit ((and i like the way the calorimetry looks 9.9 x 10 ^ inifinity times better)) and i  made two calorimetry's for a girl on the hair forum im part of, and she thought they were perfect for natural dreads too.  theyre also quite warm and sit right over your ears if you chose to wear them that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

join the september wish list swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=193590.0

www.wists.com/MissMermaid

enjoy felting? want to trade for some wool dreads? PM me!
irish_chicky
« Reply #1274 on: September 14, 2007 07:16:44 AM »

^ if your hair is naturally oily just wash more often, once a day even, just dont brush your hair. Remember, ALL hair types can knot, so ALL hair types can have locks, some just take longer then others.

A lot of ppl dont see results from naturals for about 6 months to a year. Naturals take a lot of patience and just forgetting you have hair lol

What's this v stich for crocheting? Is there some other word for it?

cheers
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
helloklementyne
As clear as an unmuddied lake, Sir.

Horrorshow my dear.

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: September 25, 2007 05:16:59 PM »

im interested in getting dreadlocks this winter holiday and need to get some things straightned out. my mom isnt stopping me from getting them but she thinks that they are nasty, un-clean and smell bad...even tho i wash my hair every 3 days and havent brushed it in 2 months -.- so are that things that people think dreads are like true?HuhHuh and can a person with super thick straight brown hair get them?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove.
irish_chicky
« Reply #1276 on: September 25, 2007 07:26:09 PM »

"so are that things that people think dreads are like true?"

Not unless you wash them regularly, if they are cleaned, washed, then they should not have a bad smell , make sure you use a resedue free shampoo, and NO conditioner. I also like to rince my dreads with tea from time to time, makes them smell yummy.

I wash mine once a week, for the most part, and they dont have a bad smell to them at all, and I have had dreads for 2 years.

"can a person with super thick straight brown hair get them"

Absolutly, any hair type can knot up, so any hair type can have dreads. It just takes time and a lot of patience.

So you are going the natural route eh? That method takes longer to make dreads, but I think they look amazing when they have locked up. Just relax, your hair wont stink if you wash it regularly.

Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
PiercedChicken
« Reply #1277 on: September 25, 2007 11:01:31 PM »

^ if your hair is naturally oily just wash more often, once a day even, just dont brush your hair. Remember, ALL hair types can knot, so ALL hair types can have locks, some just take longer then others.

A lot of ppl dont see results from naturals for about 6 months to a year. Naturals take a lot of patience and just forgetting you have hair lol

What's this v stich for crocheting? Is there some other word for it?

cheers

Actually washing more often is bad for dreads, or any hair. My hair gets really oily. If you don't wash it for a few days, then wash it, you start to train your hair to produce less oil. If you keep washing the oil away, it keeps making more and more until you HAVE to wash it everyday or it wil lbe unbearable.

Try it out. It works and your hair will feel cleaner and dread easier because of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PiercedChicken
« Reply #1278 on: September 25, 2007 11:07:21 PM »

Mitsie99, I lOVE LOVE LOVE the black and white dreads.  Mine are just ugh brown, but every time I look in the mirror I am surprised at how long they are.  They will be 5 in February, and there are 51 of them.  Finally, here's a pic!

Wow, i would love to see pictures of how they first started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
viri
« Reply #1279 on: September 26, 2007 01:57:36 AM »

I have thick straight hair, and have dreads for almost a year now. They are backcombed. At the begining I had a tons of loose hair, but with the time and a bit of crocheting it sorted out. Nowdays they knot up by themselves mostly, however I still crochet in the tiny loose hair by the roots.
My hair was a bit oily but with a bit of trainging (and I think with the residue free soap) they are only geting oili after 14 days so I'm 100% happy. Still have some dandruff issue though.
And no they are not smelly at all. If I go to a bar with lot of smoke I can smell it the other day but a bit of the trea oil and aloe vera does wonders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Garner Goes Sexy to Celebrate Her First Fashion Campaign
Designer Looks For Less: Summer Shoe Trends For 2013
Best Dressed Celebrities at the 2013 ESPY Awards
Dressing Modestly in 2013
A New Way to Measure Bras
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...