A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,499
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 174
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dreadlocks  (Read 232001 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1240 on: August 12, 2007 01:02:42 PM »

I would say use smaller sections.  More dreads= more fun!  Also they dry faster and dread better if they aren't too thick.
Don't worry about the shape of the sections too much, but perfect squares might look a little strange.  At first you are going to see your scalp really well between the dreads, so you might not want it to look too much like graph paper... then again, maybe you do...  There are always going to be areas that don't quite fit into any of the nearby dreads.  Over time they can become their own mini-dreads, and then if you want you can incorporate them into a neighbor as they get a little longer.
Have you considered the part on the top of your head?  I made my first few along my part, staggered so they are a little bit off-center, and I'm glad I did.  I now see that if the two top front dreads were perfectly at the center of my forehead, they would be falling in my face all the time.  However, that might be just my crooked face.
Don't forget to post us some before and after pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lammvandal
« Reply #1241 on: August 12, 2007 02:40:02 PM »

I was trying to make my part staggered, but there were really only two dreads on each side of it. hahaha Grin and that's also what made the wonky shaped sections. They're oblong and...wouldn't be good.
I think I'm going to try 1 inch sections, and put my mom to work  Wink

Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a shady lane, everybody wants one.
irish_chicky
« Reply #1242 on: August 12, 2007 05:39:58 PM »

http://com3.runboard.com/bknottydreadlockforum

go here you will learn everything you need to know and stuff you didnt know!

Also in my opinion staggered are better then all sectioned perfectly. Also if you make them thicker or thinner, they will dread up no matter what. It just takes time.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
MCRguitarMCR
on the brink of finding commotion

I love My Chemical Romance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1243 on: August 15, 2007 07:21:49 PM »

Hey. I used to read and post on here all the time and then i got lazy. I have been wanted dreads for like 2 years now. Im finally getting them Cheesy I sectioned my hair a few days ago and so far I can tell they are starting to get tangled(im not backcombing or using any products)

So just to fill you in... I have thick hair and since I was like 10 I would get a natural dread in the back of my hair all the time and I would spend forever brushing it out and then it would always come back on account of my thick hair that was so hard to brush. So then I pretty much gave up on it and everything from where a headband would go and back was one huge dread. It was too mangled to brush so I have to get most of it cut off. So then it took my hair forever to grow back and now it got to the point that it was long enough that I wanted dreads and I could barely brush my hair. There ya go. Sorry it was so long
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MCRguitarMCR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1244 on: August 20, 2007 08:37:22 AM »

So far they are tightening up pretty quickly. A few of the rubber bands have broken(which is good so they dont get stuck in my hair) and popped off and the sections from where they cam from are staying together so far. I didnt think they would be tangling quite this fast. maybe I will post some pics sometime
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1245 on: August 20, 2007 12:21:49 PM »

yes post them!  it's amazing how fast it all changes and then how they continue to change over time...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MCRguitarMCR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: August 21, 2007 07:04:38 AM »

By the way, Im friends with milkweed*. I have to buy batteries for my stupid camera... I need a new camera... Once I get some pics I will put them up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #1247 on: August 23, 2007 11:53:42 PM »

^ you have bands in your hair while trying to make natural deads?
Just my opinion, take out the bands, all they are doinf is restricting movement and can weaken your roots. Natural dreads will dread up on you own, all u need to do is leave them be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
MCRguitarMCR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1248 on: August 24, 2007 08:53:04 AM »

^ you have bands in your hair while trying to make natural deads?
Just my opinion, take out the bands, all they are doinf is restricting movement and can weaken your roots. Natural dreads will dread up on you own, all u need to do is leave them be.
Yeah I know, Most are already out. they were just there to get started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feisty

costume student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1249 on: September 06, 2007 09:44:14 AM »

I got my dreads in february, but Id been wanting them for AGES, literally as long as I can remember I've wanted to have dreads. I used www.dreadheadhq.com to get instructions and maintenance things, but it's based only in the US and I'm in britain, so you can get their products and loads of others and beads, tams the works (and also tips) on http://www.dreadworx.co.uk

EVERYONE I knew thought that you never washed you hair with dreads, or that you put like honey in it or something, not a nice image, or that I'd get lice and loads of bugs  Embarrassed
Hope everyone's dreads are going well!
xxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 174 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Party Appetizers - Boursin Bruschetta
Holiday Party Appetizers - Baked Dill Delight
Holiday Party Appetizers - Warm Raspberry Brie
Holiday Party Appetizers - Artichoke Dip
Quick & Easy Holiday Party Appetizers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...