A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 305,032
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amigurumi Penguin with Pattern!  (Read 3190 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , penguin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MsPremiseConclusion
« on: December 14, 2011 05:48:26 PM »

So, I totally love penguins. They're so adorable and blorpy. These are some little guys that I made one day after having a major amigurumi craving (does anyone else experience these? I hope it's not just me.  Wink )

If you want this pattern as a pdf, it's here: http://mspremiseconclusion.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/amigurumi-penguin.pdf

What you will need to make these: Some worsted weight yarn in whatever colour you would like your penguin to be (Main Colour), as well as white yarn and orange/yellow yarn (Beak Colour). I used safety eyes as the eyeballs (but just embroider on the eyes if you plan on giving this to a little kid.) I used a 3.75mm hook. The abbreviations are: Ch = chain, Sc = single crochet, ScDec = single crochet decrease and Sl st = slip stitch.

BODY

In Main Colour, Ch 2.
Row 1: 6 Sc in second chain from hook. (6 St)
Row 2: 2 Sc in each stitch around. (12 St)
Row 3: (Sc in next stitch. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () around. (18 St)
Row 4: (Sc in next 2 stitches. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () around. (24 St)
Row 5: (Sc in next 3 stitches. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () around. (30 St)
Row 6-9: Sc in each stitch around. (30 St)
Row 10: (Sc in next 4 stitches. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () around. (36 St)
Row 11-15: Sc in each stitch around. (36 St)
Row 16: (Sc in next 4 stitches. ScDec.) Repeat () around. (30 St)
Row 17: (Sc in next 3 stitches. ScDec.) Repeat () around. (24 St)
Row 18: (Sc in next 2 stitches. ScDec.) Repeat () around. (18 St)
Row 19: (Sc in next stitch. ScDec.) Repeat () around. (12 St)
Turn the body inside out ('V' side out) and stuff it firmly. Continue the final row once the body is stuffed.
Row 20: ScDec in each stitch around. (6 St)
Fasten off yarn. Weave the loose end through each remaining stitch. Pull tightly to close.

FACE

In White, Ch 5.
Row 1: Sc in second chain from hook. Sc in next 2 stitches. 4 Sc in next chain stitch. Working on the back side of chain stitches, Sc in next two stitches. 3 Sc in first chain stitch. (12 St)
Row 2: 2 Sc in next stitch. Sc in next 2 stitches. 2 Sc in each of the next 4 stitches. Sc in next 2 stitches. 2 Sc in each of the next 3 stitches. (20 St)
Row 3: Sc in next stitch. 2 Sc in next stitch. Sc in next 2 stitches. (Sc in next stitch. 2 Sc in next stitch). Repeat () 3 more times. Sc in next 2 stitches. (Sc in next stitch. 2 Sc in next stitch). Repeat () 2 more times. (28 St)
Row 4: Sc in next 2 stitches. 2 Sc in next stitch. Sc in next 2 stitches. (Sc in next 2 stitches. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () 3 more times. Sc in next 2 stitches. (Sc in next 2 stitches. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () 2 more times. (36 St)
Row 5: Sc in next 26 stitches. Sl st to next stitch. (27 St)
Fasten off yarn. Leave a very long piece for sewing the face onto the body. Place stitch marker on last stitch made in Row 5. This will mark the bottom of the face.

WING

In Main Colour, Ch 2.
Row 1: 4 Sc in second chain from hook. (4 St)
Row 2: (Sc in next stitch. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () once more. (6 St)
Row 3: (Sc in next stitch. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () around. (9 St)
Row 4: (Sc in next 2 stitches. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () around. (12 St)
Row 5-6: Sc in each stitch around. (12 St)
Row 7: (Sc in next 2 stitches. ScDec.) Repeat () around. (9 St)
Fasten off yarn. Leave a long enough piece for sewing the wing onto the body.

BEAK

In Beak Colour, Ch 4.
Row 1: Sl st in third chain from hook. 3 Sc in next chain stitch. Working on the back side of the chain stitches, Sl st in next stitch. (5 St) Fasten off yarn. Leave a long enough piece for sewing the beak to the face. Weave in the other end.

FOOT

In Beak Colour, Ch 4.
Toe 1: Sl st in second chain from hook. Sl st in next 2 stitches. (3 St)
Toe 2: Ch 5. Sl st in second chain from hook. Sl st in next 3 stitches. (4 St)
Toe 3: Ch 4. Sl st in second chain from hook. Sl st in next 2 stitches. (3 St)
Row 1: Ch 1. Sc between Toe 3 and Toe 2. Sc between Toe 2 and Toe 1. (2 St)
Row 2: Ch 1. Turn. ScDec. (1 St) Fasten off yarn. Leave a long enough piece for sewing the foot to the body. Weave in the other end. Make 2 feet.

ASSEMBLY

With the 'V' side of the face facing you, sew the beak on to the top of the face (like in the picture). Attach the eyes to either side of the beak.
Sew the face onto the body starting at Rows 5 of the body. Stitch all around the perimeter of the face, using stitches on the back side of the face so that the stitches don't show from the front.
Turn each wing 'V' side out, press the wing flat and stitch the opening shut. Sew the wings onto either side of the body at Row 9.
Sew the feet onto the bottom of the penguin, so that they are roughly centered.

Ta da! You're done. You can also tweak this pattern to make a chick, too. Here's how:

Using the Penguin Pattern, make the penguin body in the colour you would like the chick to be (lets call it, the Chick Colour).

Before you begin stuffing the body, secure safety eyes between Rows 8-9, about 4-5 stitches apart. (If you are using beads for eyes, you can sew those on at the end.)

Make the penguin wings in Chick Colour.

Make the penguin feet in Beak Colour.

The chick beak is a in different style than the penguin beak. Here is how to make the chick beak:

In Beak Colour, Ch 2.
Row 1: 4 Sc in second chain from hook. (4 St)
Row 2: (Sc in next stitch. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () once more. (6 St)
Row 3: (Sc in next 2 stitches. 2 Sc in next stitch.) Repeat () once more. (8 St)
Sl st to next stitch. Fasten off yarn. Leave a long enough piece for sewing the beak onto the face.

Stuff the beak a tiny bit (itll be very small). Sew the beak onto the face, in between the eyes.

Sew the two feet onto the bottom of the body, just like in the penguin pattern.

Sew the two wings onto either side of the body, just like in the penguin pattern.

I hope you enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simplyshereena
♏The Confused One♏

What?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011 06:19:34 PM »

Oh my, this is absolutely precious! I too am having an amigurumi craving, and this is PERFECT. Smiley

Thanks so much for sharing the pattern! ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY WEBSITE
☯Loves ATCs!
PLEASE "LIKE" MY FACEBOOK PAGE!
☯Partaking Swaps:
●ONGOING ATC SWAP : JANUARY
MiLady
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011 01:59:01 PM »

Can I just ask what eyes you used because I used the safety eyes and then when it came to attaching them they stuck out too much from the body and looked a bit silly, granted my safety eyes are alot bigger than yours, does anyone know where I can get small ones from???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
No Eres Nada Sin Maquillaje - Laura Sánchez
Runway to Real Way Beauty
Carolina Herrera Spring 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Donna Karan Spring 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Frank Brand Exfoliators Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...