A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: color block scarf  (Read 1231 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2005 06:19:17 PM »

It's adapted from the vogue on the go scarf book II, actually it's the cover scarf, although I used four colors instead of three, and larger yarn/larger needles (30 stitches across rather than 62).  And I had to verge from pattern at the end when I ran out of red and purple, but the kitten's sitting on that part Grin.  The yarn is Lion's Brand Kool Wool (which is so cartoony, I love it!), it's for my dad's birthday.  Still got to weave ends in, of course, but just thought I'd post.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005 06:22:17 PM by astormorray » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaiter_girl

Hullo, My name is Bear. Grrrrrrrrrr.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005 06:32:12 PM »

Wow...I really like that scarf.  I realize the pattern is from a book so don't answer this question if you feel it "gives away" part of the pattern.  Were the squares made using intarsia or a technique like the one used to make mitred squares?

Again, don't answer the question if you feel uncomfortable giving away information that's in the book.  I'm just trying to figure out if I could manage this...I haven't worked up enough courage to try intarsia yet.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My my...aren't we a knotty little girl?
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005 06:07:48 PM »

it's intarsia, it's not actually that hard, you just have to remember to loop the new color around the old as you switch. And when you're working with four colors, you have to stop every now and then and untangle.  It gives you a definite wrong and right side, as it's entirely in garter stitch, so you have to add new colors (or subtract) always on the same side.  I copied the physical pattern, drawing my own chart in crayon, but I didn't really read the directions, or follow my own too closely  Tongue (I seem to have a problem reading directions, or if I read them, I have a problem following them...)   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005 06:11:40 PM by astormorray » THIS ROCKS   Logged

monkeymaker

my eyes!! my eyes!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005 01:28:47 PM »

that looks really, really nice. i love Kool Wool too. i have that book so i'll have to check out the pattern...although, i have not been successful with intarsia so far. i just can't get that interlocking part down. anyway, i'm sure your dad will love the scarf - great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm leaning on my shovel in this graveyard of dreams ~ devil makes three
lisascenic
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005 03:47:05 PM »

Very very nice!

My cats consider it their job to sit on my projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shrtcke
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005 04:09:17 PM »

i love this scarf. its really awesome. love the colors you chose. i also was just wondering if you could knit the different sections and just seam them together and that way it would be the same on both sides. do you think that would be too much work though. is there alot of other good patterns in this book? if there is i might have to get this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005 04:35:29 PM »

i love this scarf. its really awesome. love the colors you chose. i also was just wondering if you could knit the different sections and just seam them together and that way it would be the same on both sides. do you think that would be too much work though. is there alot of other good patterns in this book? if there is i might have to get this one.

Thanks!  I think it might be a lot of work to do them seperately, but I don't know.  As for the book, it has some super cute do-able designs (notably a zebra and a sheep scarf), and it has some which are so basic it's hard too imagine they needed to write out a pattern, two or three where the directions just give me headaches looking at them, and some weird ones too.  But a number of them are attractive and don't seem too difficult.  The question really is how many scarf patterns does a person need?  I'd see if you could get the book through the library or leaf through it in a bookstore before buying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Look from Rochas Spring 2015 Runway
Beginners Guide to Full & Defined Lips
7 Makeup Tips for Girls Who Wear Glasses
How to Extend Your Summer Tan
How to Make a Caffeinated Coffee Body Scrub
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...