A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A topic of discussion: Art yarn  (Read 1412 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2011 07:45:46 AM »

What makes a yarn art?
Who decides it is art and no longer craft?

IMHO, Just because it is spun thick and thin does not necessarily make it art.  Art is either created with intent, or is a form of expressing emotion or thought.   But even with that being said, even if I spin something creatively, using non traditional methods (traditional as in: woolen vs worsted, different types of plies)  does that constitute art?  Or is it just a yarn spun creatively? 
I think the term has also become synonomus with poorly spun, and something that would fall apart if you were try to use it traditionally (weaving, knittng, crochet).
I also feel the term is way over used. A quick etsy search for the term brings up this yarn that is a traditionally spun yarn, with a few different colors and some sparkle.  And far to many like it.  Does this really constitute art? 
And also this yarn which is waaaaay closer to art, but can still function as traditional yarn.

So where is the line?  Is there a line?  is it a thick bold line, or is it blurred and skewed? 

Okay, your turn.  Discuss!   Grin

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011 08:00:58 AM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011 11:59:18 AM »

"Generally, art is made with the intention of stimulating thoughts and emotions."
Personally art yarn is defined as "form over function yarn."
I had never though to look up art yarn in Etsy. I am disgusted! I would not consider any yarn I have ever made art yarn but this is? I think not! It looks like some Sheep Shep just spun very thick. 43 yards for 20$?
This one, on the other hand, yes! Yes! I would hang that on the wall just for, well, art! (funny thing: both from the same seller.) I'm not saying that art yarn shouldn't be somewhat functional, much of it is in the right projects, but to me one of the classifying factors should be whether it has aesthetic without wanting to be made into something. If you could seriously hang it on the wall and have a visitor think "Wow, look at that" rather than "Why is there yarn on the wall?" then it would classify as art yarn. Maybe it's just me?
I think people are confused. Many seem to think "Handspun" and "art yarn" are synonymous, even if they use them both in the title of the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
OspreyWife

Proud Marine Wife, Crochet & Spinning Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011 02:18:08 PM »

i agree with jexxican, if you want to hang it on your wall then its art yarn. If it looks like something you could buy in a store, its not art yarn to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011 03:30:21 PM »

Thanks for starting this discussion,  Belladune. I was wondering about this myself. In fact, one of my New Year's resolutions is to not use the term "Art Yarn" too loosely. Cheesy I'm not sure what it means. I'd say the line between art and craft is blurry. I do know that is it not the stuff made by new spinners, and that there is a lot of thought involved. If I jam a bunch of fiber though my wheel without any plans or forethought, I don't think that's art yarn. But if I am intending to convey an idea with my yarn, then maybe? My goal is to move toward making art yarns, whatever they are called. I do know that it's harder than it looks, and takes a lot of technical skill that I am still working on.

If it's easy to spin, it probably should not be labeled art yarn. I dunno.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011 03:30:40 PM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011 04:38:08 PM »

I'm loving the answers you ladies are giving!  I think Jexxies idea of if it can be hung on a wall and not bee looked at as " why with the yarn?" but more as "oh, wow.... That's cool."  that's makes it art.     Glad to hear everyone so far is on the same page! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012 08:23:10 AM »

I'm just getting back into the Fiber Arts board so just saw this. What a great topic of discussion.  I, too, had never looked up art yarns on Etsy, but those linked are quite disappointing!

Art yarn for me has to evoke some kind of emotion.  Whether that means using a really unusual material, or spinning method, or preferably both.  I like an art yarn that kind of tells a story, but even if it doesn't tell a story it should leave me with some kind of "Wow!"  There needs to be something unexpected about it.  It needs to push the envelope.  So, a yarn that has a couple of sequins sprinkled in wouldn't be an art yarn, but a yarn with great big cocoons of sequins or something really out of the ordinary would be.

For me, the difference between an art yarn and a regular yarn is my feeling about what I'd want to do with it.  I think when I look at a regular yarn, I think of what project I'd want to make with it, and can envision the finished project.  With an art yarn, I usually have the feeling of NOT wanting to work it up into anything because I wouldn't want to "wreck" it.  You know that feeling where you think, "I hope they don't make anything besides a rapunzel scarf with that yarn!"  That feeling of not wanting to interfere with what makes the yarn so special by making a finished object out of it.  (Not that you can't make a finished object out of art yarn, but I think there'd always be that feeling of not wanting to work it up and just have the skein around to admire whenever you like.)

So what do we calls yarns that are fancier than plain yarns but not quite entering the realm of art yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012 08:54:15 AM »

So what do we calls yarns that are fancier than plain yarns but not quite entering the realm of art yarn?
Handspun Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012 09:53:46 AM »

Handspun Wink

Grin

Also, there are usualy terms, like boucle, thread plied, cabled, slubby or thick'n'thin, granny stacks, coils..... etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012 04:56:49 PM »

Smiley

True.  But since we were talking categories, I was wondering to myself where really creative, unusual yarns might fit if they really don't fit what we're thinking of as art yarn.  Just food for thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012 06:29:54 PM »

ah.  Novelty yarns?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 29/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 30/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 20/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 24/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 19/35
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...