A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,434
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Winter Wonderland Ornament  (Read 752 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 14, 2011 04:23:08 PM »

Living in the South as I do, it is very rare that we have a white Christmas so we have to make "snow" happen. I think a tree covered with these ornaments would definitely be a nice touch.

Materials Needed

• blue felt
  • embroidery thread in white and a coordinating blue
  • white ribbon, 6-8" for a hanger
  • vanishing
  • fabric marker
  • polyfil or stuffing of choice

There is no pattern! Cheesy

Step 1
     Find a round template in your kitchen that is of a suitable size. I personally used a canning lid because I have those all over my kitchen. A plastic tumbler with a round bottom would work just as well.

Step 2
     Trace 2 circles onto your blue felt. You need to also draw a smaller circle inside just one of them which is why the canning lid was ideal. I just traced the outside and inside of the lid. You do want at least 3/8" between the inner and outer circle edge so that your needlework doesn't become bunched.

Step 3
     Now using the fabric marker, draw 2 lines on the inner circle which will "cut" it into fourths. If you don't feel comfortable free handing this, you could draw your inner circle on a piece of paper, cut it out and fold it into fourths to use as a pattern. As for me, I don't mind that my sections aren't perfect. Every snowflake is different and unique this way. Smiley

Step 4
     Starting at the center of the crossed lines, work 5 chain stitches in white to the outer edge of the inner circle. Finish off that line of stitches, Knot it on back. Then, go back to the center and continue doing the same for the other 3 lines. Don't be overly concerned if the your lines do not meet in the center! It's ok as long as the gap is under 1/4".

I do this step this way mainly because I don't trust those vanishing markers much. You don't want the lines to disappear on you while you stitch details. :/

Step 5
    Now, return to the center. Work a set of 3 chain stitches at a diagonal in between 2 longer lines at a 45 degree angle.

Step 6
    Work two lazy daisy stitches off of the top of this line at a 45 degree angle. Knot on the back at the end of this stitching.

Step 7
     Now, continue to the next long line of chain stitches. Stitch 2 more lazy daisies at the end, coming out of the very last chain stitch.

Step 8

Go down to the second chain stitch on the long line and stitch 2 chain stitches on either side.

Step 9
     Go down to the third chain stitch and stitch 2 lazy daisies.

Step 10
      Continue working around your circle repeating Steps 5-9.

Step 11
     When you have finished Step 10, work a French knot in the very center (hiding all of the "uneven" start points!). I wrapped this knot 8 times.

**You could also add in a pretty white bead/pearl or a silver sequin here if you don't want to do the french knot.**

Step 11
     Place your stitched circle face up on the other circle. Trim excess felt if needed.

Step 12

Fold the ribbon in half and knot the end. Place the knotted ribbon between the two layers of felt and pin it in place close to the knot.

Step 13
     Starting at the ribbon hanger. Place your needle with blue thread between the two layers of ribbon. Pull your thread through the back piece of felt. Begin a blanket stitch along the outside edge.

Step 14
     Continue the blanket stitch around the ornament. Stop about an 1 1/2" from the other side of the ribbon. Allow blue thread to dangle so you can use it to finish up the ornament.

Step 15
     Stuff the ornament. Don't overstuff which will cause your blanket stitches to pucker!

Step 16

Finish stitching up the ornament through the ribbon hanger and around to where you originally started the blanket stitch. Pass your needle back through the pieces of felt from back to front to tack down your last blanket stitch.

Step 17
     Make a knot in your thread about 1/4" from the felt. Place your needle between the layers of felt. Pull your thread and knot into the inside of the ornament. Cut excess thread.

As I was stitching up this ornament, I also thought it could be fun to add some little white or sparkly beads along the outside edge by picking up a bead in between blanket stitches. It would add a nice bit of bling. Cheesy

Happy Stitching Everyone!

If you need a hand with the embroidery stitches, drop me a PM. I don't mind answering questions. Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013 08:19:28 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011 04:45:31 PM »

That's so lovely!

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011 07:41:32 PM »

Lovely!  Thanks for the tutorial!   Cheesy

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Ghost Home Video
How to create the Lens Flare Effect
How to Make a UFO Video
Low Passing Plane Trick
How to Catch Glasses
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...